zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
The kid is telling me how he's built a wormhole between our toilet and the toilet in his spaceship (made of soap) that shuttles him between Earth (where he works) and Saturn (where he lives). It is officially freaking me out.

Heh. He ought to watch out for dark matter on that particular journey :)

(And yes, it's been said before, but your kid is awesome!)

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
Hey there.
Max!

What's up, dude?

The kid is telling me how he's built a wormhole between our toilet and the toilet in his spaceship (made of soap) that shuttles him between Earth (where he works) and Saturn (where he lives). It is officially freaking me out.
Keep 'em coming. This is good stuff.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. He ought to watch out for dark matter on that particular journey :)

(And yes, it's been said before, but your kid is awesome!)

:) I'm sooo not telling him that.

How's, well, everything going, Zan?

Keep 'em coming. This is good stuff.

I swear, half of his stories are adult story prompts. I hope he's able to maintain that imagination and find satisfying creative outlets as he gets older.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Doing fine, just getting addicted to this thing called "Angry Birds". Apparently everyone has played except me last week.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just about setting the house on fire while roasting cherry tomatoes, zucchini, garlic and scallions. I'll totally call the fire department after I finish eating.

Epic. Nom.

I'll put the fire out if I can make a similar snack after.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Morning cantinas :Sun:

Fen, did you actually go to sleep? Despite what you say, you seem to have done a 26 hour posting marathon, or that's what it looks like from here.

An advance! The bathroom sink is going to be delivered on Friday, or did I tell you that already?

I had a pretty serious clear-up of the bookshelves yesterday. I think when the dust covering the book is thicker than the width of the spine there may be some justification for saying that perhaps it hasn't been read in some time and isn't quite catching anyone's interest. Tom Clancy might like to know that his days on our bookcase are likely to be numbered.

I guess it's breakfast time then. I see Hillz has food. any chance you could send some this way? I think I have some bread and cheese to go with all that scrummy stuff you have there.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning friends!

I'm having a strange writing dilemma. I'm thinking about changing my UF into a pure fantasy. It could be done. The main story line/plot would stay intact but it would mean a massive overhaul.

The reason I'm thinking this is that I mostly read and love high type fantasy. I haven't honestly read a lot of UF. I think I'm only writing it this way because I thought it would sell better as a UF. But it makes more sense to write what I love right? And the thing I love most is fantasy and thing I really love about this particular story is the MC. And she can fit into fantasy just as well as UF.

So thoughts?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kricket- I vote HF over UF any day :)

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Kricket- I vote HF over UF any day :)

Me too :)

And the more I think about it the more it makes sense to me. I'm just worried because I'm about to scrap 44000 words and a year and a half worth of work. That's scary.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
The question isn't a simple one (sorries), and you are going to have to seriously think about what is best for the work - and make sure you are writing for the benefit of the plot and characters rather than chasing what is popular, as that can only be a bad thing. Write something you want to read, first and foremost. :)

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I mostly read and love high type fantasy. I haven't honestly read a lot of UF. I think I'm only writing it this way because I thought it would sell better as a UF.

Write something you want to read, first and foremost. :)

What he said. Write the story as it wants to be written first, and then worry about selling it. If it's good enough, it'll find a home. I can't tell you how many stories I've written and then told myself, "I'll never sell this", and then sold it right away.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
What he said. Write the story as it wants to be written first, and then worry about selling it. If it's good enough, it'll find a home. I can't tell you how many stories I've written and then told myself, "I'll never sell this", and then sold it right away.

What they said. :D

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, Kricket. My advice is just a teeny bit different, but remember that I've yet to sell anything longer than 150w so I don't know much.

If at all possible, I'd suggest finishing it as is, and during editing if you feel like changing the setting would benefit it then do so in the first rewrite.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Morn-er...afternoon, gang.

Been toying with putting a query letter into QLH.

I have had better ideas.

Anyway, whut up?

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
I see Hillz has food. any chance you could send some this way?

Sadly, it was all devoured. However, I will be roasting cheery tomatoes and garlic later this week in order to make a sauce. If it goes well, I'll happily pass on the recipe.

*cherry tomatoes, which may or may not be cheery.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, all!

That is sooo cool lol.

Good morning friends!

I'm having a strange writing dilemma. I'm thinking about changing my UF into a pure fantasy. It could be done. The main story line/plot would stay intact but it would mean a massive overhaul.

The reason I'm thinking this is that I mostly read and love high type fantasy. I haven't honestly read a lot of UF. I think I'm only writing it this way because I thought it would sell better as a UF. But it makes more sense to write what I love right? And the thing I love most is fantasy and thing I really love about this particular story is the MC. And she can fit into fantasy just as well as UF.

So thoughts?

Write what you want to read, as everyone else said. :)

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Been toying with putting a query letter into QLH.

Have you had a head injury today?

Seriously, the peeps are incredibly talented at ripping apart a query and putting it back together again as it should be - it is the bit in-between folks there reading the query and you walking away with a perfect query which tends to hurt.

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
Having a warm fuzzy kind of day.

I'm assembling a charity auction to benefit a brain cancer research center. People are amazingly generous.

On the downside, so many of the authors offering up donations have also lost a parent to cancer. So sad that there is such a huge network of people bound by such an awful thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.