What do you bring to SCBWI region conference?

tempered_steel

Writing, fencing, and chocolate!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'll be heading out to my local SCBWI conference next Saturday. There will be an editor there doing first page reviews, so I know I'll be bringing a few copies of my first page. I've never been to a conference, though, so I have a question or two.

What do you usually bring to conferences? What's helpful or useful? Was there ever anything you wished you had brought after the fact?

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I usually just take my business portfolio binder (I guess that's what it's called! You know, a leather binder thingy), which already has a pen, pad of paper, and business cards in it. It also has slots for cash, debit card, and my license. Space is usually limited, so I don't even take a purse (the first time I went to an SCBWI event, I took a briefcase... big mistake. People were tripping over it all day!).

Have fun! SCBWI events always inspire me to get back to work! :)

AngelicaRJackson

Angelic Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
AngelicaRJackson.blogspot.com
Bring a refillable water bottle, all that talking will make you thirsty---especially if you get nervous and get a dry mouth. I also bring snacks, but that's partly because I eat like 7 times a day and I want to be alert for the workshops and meetings.

And like Smish said, you'll want something to write on and to corral all the handouts you will get. And some money in case there are some books you want to buy.

Mostly, read the threads on conferences so you come with realistic expectations. There was some discussion on networking and expectations on a thread I started a while ago
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146083

Good luck, I'm going to my first regional conference in April (Rocklin, CA)

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
You'll definitely want to bring some paper on which to take notes, two or three good pens (just in case one runs out), and a hard surface to write on. For me, this usually means a 3-ring binder with some blank paper in it, and some pens tucked into the pockets. I like having one of those 3-ring binders with the transparent cover -- that way, I can slide the conference schedule into the front and not have to dig around in a bunch of papers to find out what room a workshop is in, what time it starts, etc.

Also, bring business cards if you have them. If not, you can make some quick ones using the templates on MS Word. Business cards are just a quick way to give your contact info to other writers you meet who you want to keep in touch with. (I admit I'm giving this piece of advice somewhat hypocritically, because I've been to four or five regional SCBWI conferences, as well as one national conference, and I've yet to bring business cards. Oops. I really, really should, though.)

I bring a thermos with coffee in it, and then later I rinse it out and put cold water in it. Sometimes water and coffee are provided, but I hate to be without either one. ;)

I often see people lugging their laptops around at conferences. I did this for one day of the LA national conference last year and regretted it pretty quickly. It was just one more thing to keep track of.

Enjoy the conference!

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
True confessions? I bring my knitting. Realistically, there will be times when you're sitting around, waiting for the next session to start. I sit and knit and eavesdrop, and people come over and ask what I'm making, and pretty soon we're chatting.

The most important thing, I think, is to get over any shyness you may have, and strike up a conversation with anyone and everyone. You never know who you'll meet, or what connections you'll make.

To be honest, I've learned more about how to write from this site and people's blogs than you can learn in a one or two-day conference. But the critical thing about a conference is the chance to network with people. Where else are you going to be in a room with 100 other people who love writing as much as you do?

So...the most important thing to bring, I think, is an open and curious mind.

Have fun!

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of good answers already, but I'll add a few more:

I always dress in layers or bring a wrap - room temps can vary and there is nothing worse than being uncomfortable to distract you.

Our regional conference always has a huge snack table, so food and treats are never in short supply. But if your conference doesn't, you might want to bring some hard candies or lollipops you can share - then you'll have something to suck on during sessions, and you can offer some to your neighbors and strike up chats.

I second JudScottKev's recommendation to leave your shyness at the door - you can always ask anyone attending what they write (or if they are an illustrator, what mediums they use), if it's their first conference, where they live, how long they have been writing, etc...and those questions can be jumping off points for conversations.

I'll second business cards with your contact info can be great - but also have somewhere for you to either write down people's contact info you meet and want to stay in contact with, or a place to collect and keep their business cards.

Regional conferences are a great way to network with writers and get rejuvenated after sessions about craft and process. But they are most successful when you go in with the intent to meet people, network, and rejuvenate, as opposed to putting all focus on the critique with the editor. And you can be most prepared for your critique by maybe have a couple questions of your own you'd like to ask - ie, listen to the critique, but if after the editor has critiqued your page, if there is time/opportunity to ask some questions, they you might want to have them ready - like if there is something about the character or scene or your writing that you have concerns about or specifically want feedback on.

Have fun.

~suki

samcollie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.swansonwriting.com
I agree with all the above, plus this: bring an empty brief case or tote bag. There's always lots of free magazines, brochures, books for sale, handouts, etc... it's a lot to juggle. One year I bought a tote bag at the conference, but they don't always sell them, so plan ahead and show up with an empty one.
Have fun! It's a great time.

tempered_steel

Writing, fencing, and chocolate!!!
Registered
Reaction score
I just got back from the conference. I had a great time (the networking with other writers was so encouraging and the editor really like my first page :), even though she doesn't take on fantasy :(. )Thanks for all the advice!