What Drives you Nuts, Writing-Wise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Right, nobody asked us to do it. Etcetera.

But still, what (or who) about it gets on your nerves?

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What gets on my nerves is that in every group there just has to be a writer who likes to announce "the answer" to any given question. Of course this person will be no more accomplished than anyone else in the group. Know nothing know-it-alls drive me nuts.

*punishment ideas welcome. ;o)

Last edited:

Amberly

Registered
Reaction score
Website
caswebb.wordpress.com
ohh, i love plotting vengence...

what drives me nuts is that friend who knows all the "rules" and insists you follow them. Like:

"A main character has to be the first one you introduce"

"Your town can't sound like a persons name"

"Queries are never more than 250 words long"

And so on,
Who said? really honestly for every rule there is an exception and a friend should help you become the exception not hound you about the rules.
Don't get me wrong constructive info is great, put-downs are annoying.

As for punishments... write down what they say and make them eat it. he he he.

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Good post Fruitbat.

What drives me nuts is, well, me. I can be writing away, in the zone, then bamb, I get swallowed by a black hole. The next brilliant (?) word that I was about to type, ah, hang on, I mean, it, erh... oh yes of course, it disappears as my mind scrams. At times like that I really need a sound proof room to work in.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
My own mind. Especially on days like today, when it refuses to focus but also refuses to shut up, when I'm interested in just about everything except what I'm supposed to be working on. It's like I've been possessed by the mind of a kitten.

Duchessmary

Where I want to be
Registered
Reaction score
I have to agree! Whether it's barking dogs, loud neighbors, a pesky family, can't you see that I'm trying to create a masterpiece?????
*&@#

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Misspelling words by accident even when I know the correct spelling because of how I type. Or worse, when I see words misspelled as something they sound like, like when that one author spelled 'entry' as 'entree,' with the diacritic...

s.m.s

Registered
Reaction score
When I get to the point where I think that my story is just stupid and silly and then I move on to the next, hopefully better project without finishing.

Gugland

Sufficiently downsized
Registered
Reaction score
When I shelve something because of time constraints or dead-ends, or whatever other reason...then go back to it and think it sucks, and either fixing it or starting over both feel like I'm missing whatever point felt so important the first time around, leaving me worse off then when I first shelved the project in the first place.

That, and run-on sentences.

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
Chapters that are a paragraph long that do not have any structure to them. That irritates me. I also get annoyed when people feel compelled to critique my work as I'm working. Sometimes I'll sit on the couch next to my partner Jay and type and he will watch what I'm doing and shout 'You spelt that word wrong!' or he'll read a sentence of mine out loud in a confused voice and tell me it doesn't make sense to him. I usually glare at him and he'll giggle and ask me if he's been annoying.

STKlingaman

Followed the Red Brick Road
Registered
Reaction score
Delving to deeply into a character to quickly,
so you either love them and want to know more,
or close the book and move on to another.

er . . . that may be reading wise.

I love my writing/storytelling, and when it
comes time to edit I'm adding more ideas,
plot twists, evil shenanigans & dialog.
I rarely edit down.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Being interrupted. Just leave me alone! Is that so hard!?

Augh!

This.

But it's the cost of falling in love, getting married, having kids, their having kids, and still being a child at the same time you're a parent-spouse-friend-sister-neighbor-colleague etc. etc. etc.

I am a would-be writing hermit who got caught up in a social world, but please, some days...

JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to go with not knowing what's going to happen. I've always managed to sort it out before I get there, but I like to know where things are going so I can make sure I'm plotting correctly. There's always at least one aspect of the story that holds out until the very last second and has me wondering if I'm ever going to figure it out. Luckily, when I do get the answer, it usually is a case of five different things all falling into place at once, so that's pretty badass and easily the best part of writing for me. :)

Sevvy

Spec Fic Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Typos that still spell an actual word. So, "heads" instead of "head", "hole" instead of "whole". I write Sci-fi/fantasy, so when I put in "heads" instead of "head", people assume it's not a typo at all, and suddenly I'm writing about people with two heads.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
[...snip] what drives me nuts is that friend who knows all the "rules" and insists you follow them. Like:
And so on,
Who said? really honestly for every rule there is an exception and a friend should help you become the exception not hound you about the rules.
Don't get me wrong constructive info is great, put-downs are annoying.

This. People who blabber on about rules and quote "how-to" books. I prefer to think of most as guidelines.

Last edited:
Reaction score
*cough*

People who rail against rules and whose rebellion is aimless.

Learn the rules before you break them. They're there for a reason.

/soapbox.

Oh, and...ARMITAGE!

Kenra Daniels

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenradaniels.com
Only two of mine are specific to writing. The other is something I notice more with writers, but it pops up everywhere.

People who set themselves up as experts in all things writing, without every having completed a single writing project, then go about giving others shitty advice.

People who state their opinion as fact, and pretend theirs is the only opinion that counts.

Working really hard on a scene, finishing it, then coming back later to find it riddled with amateurish mistakes. At least now I know enough to spot and correct those mistakes :)

Reaction score
People who set themselves up as experts in all things writing, without every having completed a single writing project, then go about giving others shitty advice.
At the risk of sounding like a white chick saying "Word," I'm saying..."Word."

It's especially 'funny' (i.e. astounding) to witness such folk tell published authors how they should have handled their own stories. Mmmkay...if you're a writer, dear, go write. Then criticise the work of someone who, unlike you, bothered finishing anything so it could be published.
Working really hard on a scene, finishing it, then coming back later to find it riddled with amateurish mistakes. At least now I know enough to spot and correct those mistakes :)
It's definitely a good thing when you spot those mistakes. It shows you've improved since you wrote it. Now you can put it all right.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
People who keep saying what I should write about or telling me read things (this is most common).

I've got so many books from people everything from Hemmingway to Meyer from people who say to me "If you're going to write a novel, you should read this first". Yea.....I know you think you're being helpful but stop giving me books to read, my book list is already numbered to 100. I feel bad if I don't take the book though.

Status
Not open for further replies.