Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I think I need outside hobbies to prevent my mind getting bored.

This is my reason, as well. I find I need something outside of writing to allow my mind to focus on something else for a while, and then I can get back to a story with a fresh eye. I also find that I'm happier when I'm doing more than just eating, sleeping and writing.
Some of my hobbies are crafting jewelry (which I tend to do in creative spurts when I'm between projects), cooking (I get on baking kicks and keep the people at the day job very happy and sugared up), reading (that one was obvious, no?), and antiquing (antique shops, flea markets, yard sales, you name it--I love history and the history of objects).

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I run, I ride and compete horses, I paint, I knit and crochet, I play computer games.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think of them as hobbies, but I have all sorts of things I'm interested in, and that I spend time doing. I put in my writing time, and then I'm outta here. I definitely don't consider it a hobby, but I spend a bunch of time using weapons, be it a handgun, a rifle, a shotgun, a throwing knife, a hatchet, or a sword. And I work on martial arts.

I also spend a lot of time out in the deep woods, hunting and fishing, or just camping while writing. I go to a mountain man rendezvous, I go to political dinners, I go to anything and everything I can make time for.

But I don't consider any of these things hobbies. They all just as much a part of my life as is writing. Maybe more so. For one thing, I need something to write about, and I'm a firm believer that personal experience shows.

If I have a hobbies at all, it's collecting writing boxes, inkwells, and teapots. I also love antique furniture.

I guess I just don't like the word "hobbies". I make money by writing, but I can make money through my "hobbies", as well. I just like doing things, and writing is only one more thing I do. If I do anything, I take it seriously, and I put the same effort into whatever it is as I do writing.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Some interesting replies. After reading through these and thinking about it, I'm not too worried that I should have more in my life. I'm happy writing and I'm happy with the things in my life outside of it. If it ever takes off and I don't need a day job, then obviously I'll have more time for more things. Until then, it looks like I keep on as always.

Ms Hollands

Cow lover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lefrancophoney.com
I think there's one hobby you have probably forgotten you even have: reading books. If you're spending all your time writing and none reading, you might be doing your writing an injustice.

I couldn't sit and write all day since that's also my day job, so my hobbies are skiing, snowboarding, telemarking, wakeboarding, swimming, walking and photography. I've tried to learn guitar, but I can't sit down for long enough. All sit time is still devoted to reading and writing. :O)

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Really, I spend most of my time writing. When I'm not writing, I love to paint with pastels, and I have a few regular social events I go to..."board game night" (which usually turns into "drinking and bullshitting night" really fast) every Friday, my writers' group every Thursday (we do critique writing there, but it's mostly just to hang out), and regular coffee visits with my sis-in-law.

Plus, there are -- ahem -- certain other things I do a lot with my free time. Things a lady just can't mention in a public place like the Internets.

jenga

Level 1 Daddy
Registered
Reaction score
I think there's one hobby you have probably forgotten you even have: reading books. If you're spending all your time writing and none reading, you might be doing your writing an injustice.

Personally, I consider both reading and writing to be so interrelated that it gets bundled into "writing work". Consumption of media is kind of related too. Well-written movies and TV shows can give good insights and inspirations for your writing. The same can be given for certain story-oriented video games (though that is just an excuse to play games... I use it a lot lol)

I used to have loads of hobbies. Martial arts, kart racing, tabletop gaming, computer games, drinking alcohol (lol)... But when my kid was born all my free time went away. Now its almost all exclusively writing time (and precious little enough of that as it is)

Ineti

Purveyor of Prose
Registered
Reaction score
So, what about you? Do you have hobbies outside your job and/or writing? How important do you think they are?

Hobbies are extremely important to me. They're a chance to unwind and goof off and have fun but still keep the creative mind working in the background.

My wife and I have a mutual huge Lego collection and dig into that to build random stuff or something cool.

I'm involved in my local community theater, though not so much lately as it's a huge time sink and I need that time to write. Acting, directing, helping backstage. This gets me involved with people and also provides a huge source of material for characters, stories, and situations.

I read a lot. I watch some television, and I play some video games, mostly on the Xbox. I also occasionally paint miniatures and work on jigsaw puzzles. Also play board games, card games, and the occasional pen and paper RPG.

Last edited:

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
Motocross and ZUMBA. I make time for both, but I make more time for writing.

themanda

waiting sucks...
Registered
Reaction score
i think having a variety of hobbies helps me to relax and refocus. i paint, make jewelry, knit, crochet. i'm dealing with a fairly significant glitter addiction.

it helps me tremendously to be able to sit down and produce something. it's just the creative urge that needs to come out; sometimes it's in words, sometimes it's on a canvas, sometimes it's a little crocheted grim reaper. i have a need to MAKE.

plus, makes gift giving and receiving really easy.

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a bloke, but if someone judged me adversely for being passionate about writing, well, meh. They're no great loss.

I wouldn't judge someone for being passionate about writing. I simply dislike people who are passionate about nothing. Those people are boring in the long run.

Reaction score
Well that goes without saying.

I'd be a bit worried if he was passionate about his collection of purple buttons and the jar of belly button fluff he sleeps with, though.

(No offence, seun).

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
My hobby lately has been shoveling snow.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Yoga and yoga-related community stuff. And I like hiking or taking a dog to a new trail. I love gardening, too.

So, you can see I just like to get outside and/or move a bit, lol. I almost wouldn't call them hobbies, but I do spend a lot of time with books or DVDs about gardening or yoga, going to conferences, etc. So, yeah, hobbies.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
Not much time for hobbies now that I spend most of my free time writing (which I love so that's okay). Other than that I hike and read, watch a little television. Occasionally take trips to see family or go skiing. That's about it. :)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a lot to keep my busy outside of writing, especially sports and farming. I have a "hobby farm" but it's as much a passion as writing. Plus it feeds my family.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I quilt and I dabble in photography.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Besides reading (natch), I like to knit. I occasionally sketch, and I'd really like to get into some type of pottery or sculpture, as well. That'll wait till I can get a house of my own (instead of renting), and have a proper kiln, etc. Baking is another biggie. Thinking about trying my hand at mosaics and whatnot, too. Making blown glass objects (functional or just pretties) would be bad ass, but I can't think of a way to get into that around here. Not enough time or motivation to really check into it, though.

I just like to make things, one way or another. Writing is my favorite, but whatever I can do with the time and distractions at any given moment is what I'll do. Or if I get bored. :D I figure, so long as someone is pretty satisfied with their life, who says you've gotta have a hobby outside of writing? If you're good to go, then you're good to go, no matter what anyone else says. So to heck with the "should", seun.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I agree. Maybe we just get bored more easily? That's certainly not always a good thing :D My hobbies help with my extroverted side, having something fun to do that can be done with strangers.

It makes it different, and sometimes I just crave 'new'. Yes, I meet people to walk our dogs in the woods. That's got to be boredom, really :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.