On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Tease post:

I have news. Not the big news from the book on sub with The Agent, but good news.

I'm at work, which is why this is a tease. :evil Announcement and pic after work tonight.

Never give up, Hellions. Never.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Eep, Lily, can't wait to hear!! It's about time we had some good news around here.

I am enduring complete radio silence from my agent. Have checked in a couple times and nada. I know she's still working b/c she's requested from a couple of my friends.

I have decided to give myself the rest of the year off from writing. I am going to read and sew and nourish myself. I have been pushing forward for a very long time and have got to stop pushing.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, Lily! I'll be checking this space.

Joy, yes, totally. Grab that downtime. We all need it (says the person trying to figure out how or when to grab it). And when you're not forcing yourself to write, just living life, sometimes great ideas sneak in.

I can't remember the last day I didn't spend partially at the computer, and that needs to change. (Though a screen-free day would be even more of a challenge.)

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
Yay, Lily!!!!!! I think I remember reading about that book lo many pages on this thread ago, and I couldn't be happier.

So does this mean there could be hope for the book I started writing in 2005 that has been through about 15 rehauls and is currently with my agent? Seriously, I'll self-publish that thing if I have to.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, congratulations, Lily! I got a short story acceptance this morning from a small anthology. It's for a story I wrote at the very start of this writing adventure, way back at the end of 2011. It's been on sub non-stop since then. Persistence is half the battle!

QB - Hoping those revisions go well! This writing thing is like living on that time-bendy planet in Interstellar.

BigPawsBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Can I tentatively poke my head around here...? I did do some posting when I was getting my agent but now I'm here and I'm on sub. <wibble>

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Big Paws! I remember your thread on ATA, too! Your situation was unfolding around the same time as mine. Not sure if being on here 2 days qualifies me to welcome you here, but welcome!! We're on sub at the same time: lots of positive vibes and thoughts. What do you write? In which country are you on sub?

Last edited:

BigPawsBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. It's most definitely my ginger tom cat with the big paws :)

Hello Project, I remember you too. I'm in the UK like you and it's women's fiction (but the literary end...). We went on sub on Thursday.

BigPawsBrown

Registered
Reaction score
So I got the list of editors this morning. What is a normal number, or is there not one...?

diana86

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dianaurban.com
I have to say, it gives me hope that agents are sending their new authors out on sub now. Hopefully it means December is still an active time in publishing, and many of us will hear back soon! :)

Though the next 4-5 days of guaranteed nothingness will be brutal. I'll have to compensate by nomming on SO MUCH cranberry sauce. And stuffing. Om nom.

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
So I got the list of editors this morning. What is a normal number, or is there not one...?

Personally, I've seen anywhere from five to about 15 — so it varies a lot by book genre and agent's strategy. If it's a small number, they could be targeting a particular editor or looking for feedback before subbing more widely.

Good luck! And wishing everyone a great Thanksgiving! :)

BigPawsBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the list advice. My agent thinks it's best for me to know almost nothing, which I think might be true, but I asked for a list of houses and now it's sent me a bit loopy. She told me a house was interested after she'd pitched to them in advance over the summer and now they are not on the list, for example.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Sub hell. :cry:

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
She told me a house was interested after she'd pitched to them in advance over the summer and now they are not on the list, for example. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Sub hell. :cry:

:( Stay strong BPB.

You sure the house isn't listed under an imprint name? I wondered why certain ones weren't on my list, then it turns out they were once I looked up who owned the imprint.

Managed not to look at my inbox today. Yay me!

BigPawsBrown

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure. I know it's not on there but it's part of PRH and that is there on its own, but another imprint of that IS on there too. There could be infinite reasons why it's not there, I'm trying not to dwell on them. Project - how many has yours gone to? Congrats on no email checking - I am too scared I will miss an email saying "call me!" to do that! I try to check at 9am, 12pm and 4pm though, so I could respond in time if necessary.

brs18041

Registered
Reaction score
Fingers crossed that editors did some fun MS reading over the long weekend, and we'll all get lots of news this week!

Status
Not open for further replies.