Writer's Market vs. Duotrope

Umgowa

Registered
Reaction score
As far as I can tell there are two major sources for uncovering markets for our freelance work . . . 1) The Writer's Market and 2) Duotrope. Have any of you more experienced writers had more positive experience with one vs. the other? Which one do you think is better?

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Writer's Market has been my go-to source for several decades. Hasn't failed. Duotrope is relatively new and has less useful information for me, plus more limited ranges of material. Duotrope is also harder to search, for me. I use Writer's Market online a lot now days. I do not use a submission tracker (Home grown database) so that feature is lost on me.

Jeff

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
As I understand it, Duotrope is mostly for fiction and poetry. The Writer's Market has everything.

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
I do use Writer's Market, I buy a new version every 5 years or so. I find it helpful but it definitely doesn't have everything. Maybe the online version is better? I find a lot of magazines I submit to by searching online. I like magazine.com for finding magazines I never knew about before. It might depend on the topics you write on. Some sections in WM are very small while others have pages and pages :)

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I have been using duotrope for my fiction submissions and just started using it for nonfiction too. I think it is the best. But there is nothing that says you can't use both.

Umgowa

Registered
Reaction score
As I understand it, Duotrope is mostly for fiction and poetry. The Writer's Market has everything.

That's a popular misconception. While on Duotrope, click the non-fiction tab up top and you'll find a huge selection.