Aeon Timeline

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone use Aeon Timeline? A writer friend recommended it to me. I downloaded a trial yesterday, but there's a lot going on! It looks pretty cool and has some neat capabilities to create timelines for the overall story and separate ones for each character, etc. Before I dig too deep, I'm trying to determine if it really is helpful or if it's a glorified procrastination tool. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions?

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Just looking at the main web page for it hurts my brain. Looks way too complicated for me. Then again, Scrivener is too complicated for me, so I might not be the right person to ask :p

Thewitt

Registered
Reaction score
I use it and I love it.

I created a calendar for my world - really just picked a start date because I'm OK with the 12 month calendar.

I added a Lunar Arc, where I can see the phase of the moon. There is nothing that drives me crazy more than a book that has three full moon's in one month.... I reference this arc whenever I write a night scene to understand whether or not there is a moon tonight, whether waning or waxing, etc.

I created arcs for my main characters, but I don't use them any more.

I created an arc for everything that happened in one city, but I dropped that too..

I really only use the Main Arc now, and all the characters I'm tracking have their events on this arc. I find it extremely useful to plot events and tie characters to these as participants and observers.

If I know someone will be doing something a month from now, I'll create the event and put it on the timeline before writing the story. As I get closer to the date in the other tracks in my story, I pay attention to this date and the alignment of characters so they arrive at the correct places at the correct times.

It's a brilliant tool that keeps me organized, though I only use a small number of its functions.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I would, but I hated the Trinity metaplot.

...that would be really funny if any of you were fans of White Wolf in the 1990s.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
If someone has a really massive and cluttered timeline or they can't keep track well, I guess it could be of use.

Personally, I see no need of it--especially for $40 for such a simple program.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I was looking at this, since a big discount was part of the nano-winner's rewards. If you did nano, you get a discount, and if you won, a bigger discount.

On one hand, I love the idea because I love plotting. On the other, I'm not sure I've ever written something that would need this kind of planning.

I was debating getting it to explore for fun, mostly since I love all the controls in Scrivener...

Shaded

Registered
Reaction score
I've never used it.
I feel like timelines are something I can just do by myself easily. I have timelines that I created of all the important events that happened overall, for example before the first novel starts, and then a timeline for the first novel (the one i'm writing/editing now) and all major points within it. I suspect i'll do it for the sequels as well well I outline them.
Having had a fairly easy time doing timelines without the help of anything else, I've found it kind of pointless, at least for me.
But at the same time it can really help some people, and I think it just depends on the way people work and what helps them. There's no one answer on if it's useful or not.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It looks like something I really could have used for my android novel, with the different timelines the three POV characters were on. Two ran at the same pace (but at different points in time, in a way), and one jumped around in time. But on the other hand, it doesn't look like something I'd actually pay for.

Though really...now I'm thinking about all the times I've tried to keep track of how much time has gone by, and I'm thinking about it. Oops

ETA: but the 40% off is no longer valid

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Last year I was able to use the Scrivener one after the time when it was supposed to expire (so it is possible it may be usable). Wow, Scrivener really extended their deadline this year.

Last edited:

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
I just looked it up and personally don't think it sounds like much - a program with not a great deal of relevance trying to sound more complicated/necessary than it is, at first glance. I'm currently writing a sprawling double-timeline WIP and I definitely struggled with it but the whole being able to make groups/arcs thing hurts my brain. I could see it being useful if you if you're writing some huge A Song of Ice and Fire type novel with tons of characters who have complicated back stories and are all in different places at once. Other than that? Hmm, I'm not convinced, but I'd need to know what you wanted it for. (Also, like Becca, I'm not really one for writing programmes. Even when my novels are quite complicated, and I love outlining, I just use Word.)

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I've never used writing programs either, although I keep toying with the idea of trying Scrivener. (If I do, Aeon Timeline syncs with Scrivener, so that if you change a date in one it automatically changes it in the other for you). I'm writing a murder mystery with a top and bottom story. The top story is the MC investigating the murder. The bottom story is the murder itself. So there's already two timelines and there will be some degree of mirroring as well as planning when the MC finds different pieces of evidence.

Then there's timelines for each witness and each suspect that will be broken down not just by days but by certain hours. They'll all have their own version of the events leading up to and after the victim's murder, and several will have multiple time lines--the version they tell cops, what really happened, and some will switch up their stories as the investigation goes on and their lies get muddled.

I watched the tutorial videos and it seems really helpful for creating the overall timeline and individual timelines that you can turn on and off and compare to other witnesses. There's also a feature that lets you draw lines between events that automatically calculates how much time passes.

I still need to play with it, but it seems like having all that in one place would be easier than alternating between an Excel spreadsheet, a Google Calendar, and a Date Duration Calendar. Like I said, though, I've never used writing programs and I'm not sure how steep the learning curve is.

Thewitt

Registered
Reaction score
I think it sounds perfect for your application and would encourage you to give it a whirl.

One of the things that really irritates me in a novel is when the author screws up the timelines....

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
I've I'm writing a murder mystery with a top and bottom story. The top story is the MC investigating the murder. The bottom story is the murder itself. So there's already two timelines and there will be some degree of mirroring as well as planning when the MC finds different pieces of evidence.

Then there's timelines for each witness and each suspect that will be broken down not just by days but by certain hours. They'll all have their own version of the events leading up to and after the victim's murder, and several will have multiple time lines--the version they tell cops, what really happened, and some will switch up their stories as the investigation goes on and their lies get muddled.

I watched the tutorial videos and it seems really helpful for creating the overall timeline and individual timelines that you can turn on and off and compare to other witnesses. There's also a feature that lets you draw lines between events that automatically calculates how much time passes.

I still need to play with it, but it seems like having all that in one place would be easier than alternating between an Excel spreadsheet, a Google Calendar, and a Date Duration Calendar. Like I said, though, I've never used writing programs and I'm not sure how steep the learning curve is.

It sounds like it would be great for you and, in this special exception, worth the money. JMO. :)

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Thewitt, are there any tips or tricks you have for using it? Anything I should know before really digging in?

Thewitt

Registered
Reaction score
Keep it simple to start with.

Create the calendar first - use an existing 12 month standard if it works for you, just pick a start date.

Create the characters you want to track as Entities.

I would not create separate ARCs unless you have a desire to hide one ARC from another.

I originally thought I would use different ARCs for different stories, but my characters interact at various times so I just leave them all on the main arc.

The only other arc I use is one I call LUNAR, which has the new and full moon events. I display it when I am going to include a reference to the moon in the story, and hide it most of the time.

Have fun.

You can always make it more complex later if you wish, but start simple for now.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Question, Thewitt: How do I change the time from military to standard? I need am and pm.