The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
R on a partial to an A list agent. Very little news otherwise.

Sent out a bunch of revenge queries. Maybe that will stir something out of the pot.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Of course it was a form. Those are becoming depressing commonplace on requested material.

Yet another reason I hate query-only agencies.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Of course it was a form. Those are becoming depressing commonplace on requested material.

Yet another reason I hate query-only agencies.
I always paste in five pages with the query. The only time I don't is when it's an online form. You never know, maybe those five pages can sway them off the fence, right? And if it ticks them off, well, they'll forget about you in fifteen minutes anyway. No harm done.

That being said, I loathe forms on requested material. It takes thirty seconds to write a sentence and it's not like that's going to take up a ton of time during their day. They don't request that much.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
That's why I queried our local agent C.S.

When I sent them a query last spring her assistant gave me some useful feedback, even though she did not request any material. At the very least I know he read all five pages (which is really something these days!)

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
You should. Having a local agent is an advantage I think. There's nothing like meeting face-to-face.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Well, that was interesting. I just got a rejection for an anthology story. The editor had some good feedback on my work, pointing out how it missed their guidelines. But she was so intrigued by it that she asked if I had any other works. And invited me to submit again. I'm not sure I have anything for her, but I'll think about it.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
What do you folks think of a US citizen querying a Canadian agent?

Well, my man (our man?) Holtby stood up against the Bruin onslaught last night. He's quoted this morning as saying he likes lots of shots on goal, keeps him involved in the game. Okay...

I will not discuss the Nats. Apparently, if I say something (like they have incredible pitching), it will promptly cease to exist. At least I was a hero to those sitting around me, giving periodic updates on the hockey game.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
What do you folks think of a US citizen querying a Canadian agent?

Well, my man (our man?) Holtby stood up against the Bruin onslaught last night. He's quoted this morning as saying he likes lots of shots on goal, keeps him involved in the game. Okay...

I will not discuss the Nats. Apparently, if I say something (like they have incredible pitching), it will promptly cease to exist. At least I was a hero to those sitting around me, giving periodic updates on the hockey game.

I know a few American writers that query Canadian agents. It can't hurt since Canadian and American book rights are sold as one.

Yay for a Caps win :)

I know virtually nothing about the Nats.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
It's definitely Friday. Let the rejections come in. I'll start the game by admitting my first form R for the day. Another agent from same agency already rejected the QL a couple months ago so wasn't surprised.

Anybody else?

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
The Nats have stunk, but for a dream half-season when baseball first came back to DC. We had a team, which was taken to Minnesota. We had another team, which was taken to Texas. We tried for a team for years, blocked by the evil owner of the Baltimore team, afraid the area couldn't handle two teams. Through a combo of pressure and paying him off (he gets a majority of our TV revenues), we got the team that had been in Montreal. All of which makes figuring out team history a little tricky...

Anyway, the first half of the first year, we were winning. Folks were amazed. There was a cover story in Sports Illustrated, and the team tanked. They've stayed at or near the bottom ever since. But since we had such wonderful draft picks (due to pathetic records) and judicious trades, we now have a better team. Maybe I shouldn't say that...

Like the Caps in the playoffs now, we seem to be relying mostly on defense for wins. Our best hitter from last year is recovering from a torn lat muscle (ouch).

More than you want to know, I realize. I'm procrastinating a bit, before leaping back to trimming the fat from my NF. That's going well. I'll soon get below 100,000 words.

Tell me everyone. If you were reading a book where a noncredentialed person is presenting research, how important would be identifying (somewhere in the book -- endnotes, references, etc.) each precise study? A lot of my word count is in endnotes or actually quoting from studies (to show they say what I claim). I could cut down word count considerably if I only provide references for the most important discussions, and do a "studies show [thus and so]" for everything else.

I have three professors who've read the book and written blurbs that I'm right, etc. for what that's worth.

I'm the sort of person who is persuaded by things that have explanations, quotations, references, and the like. But maybe that isn't the best way to go. Agents say I should let the story persuade people. Then again, much of my story was doing research and arguing with supposed experts about it.

What I'm considering now is putting important wonky-type discussions in separate sections at the end of chapters as need be (what to call them, I don't know) and letting these be the ones that have endnotes. That way, the chapters presenting the story would be endnote-free. I hesitate to do appendices, because not too many people read them. That way, the support is there for the people who want it, and the people who don't will not be scared off.

I try to make the wonky stuff entertaining, but superscript numbers make agents think I'm being too academic.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
You're right, that's a lot of weird baseball history there.

I'm the exact wrong person to ask anything about NF. I don't read it at all and couldn't comment with any kind of authority. Sorry, Hathor :(

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
I've had crickets for weeks now. Maybe today will be different. I revenge-queried like a rabid pitbull yesterday so there's fresh meat before the piranhas.

Let the bloodbath begin!

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
I've had crickets for weeks now. Maybe today will be different. I revenge-queried like a rabid pitbull yesterday so there's fresh meat before the piranhas.

Let the bloodbath begin!
Betcha Monday is your day. Most of my requests came after 7 days, only 2 came in under the 48-hour mark. Maybe I'm just lucky like that?

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Carleree, you know where they filmed the Steve Martin movie Roxanne? (hint, B.C. interior town on a lake)

The agent who sent the R has the same name. :(

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Carleree, you know where they filmed the Steve Martin movie Roxanne? (hint, B.C. interior town on a lake)

The agent who sent the R has the same name. :(
You keep making these references that prove my age. I know exactly who you're talking about. That one was hard, I know. But you still have a partial out with another A-list agent. Don't despair. You got there once, you can do it again.

And, just to keep it light, I'm betting they put Luongo in goal though I'd keep Schneids in. Have you noticed how much better the rest of the team plays when S is in goal?

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
Tell me everyone. If you were reading a book where a noncredentialed person is presenting research, how important would be identifying (somewhere in the book -- endnotes, references, etc.) each precise study?

I personally really really like my non-fiction books to have references. I hate when I'm reading something and think hmm, where did they get THAT-- and it doesn't tell me anywhere. Or if something really interests me, I want the source so I read more myself! I think endnotes are good for popular non-fiction, because they're nice and unobtrusive. I definitely approach a properly sourced book differently than one that's not, especially if the author isn't a top academic in their field. In that case I'm inclined to be a bit dubious until they've proven they've REALLY done their research. (well, I'm also a bit dubious when top academics don't source, but at least I feel a bit more confident they know what they're talking about, even if their conclusions suck). After all the research involved in my undergrad & related thesis, I barely even notice endnote numbers until I want them. In-text referencing makes me crazy though, even in academic writing, don't do that. :)

Anyway, I woke up to a rejection, hooray. It was from one of the agents I really thought might be interested, too, damn. I just want one partial request....! I'd also really like to know how much of a factor my stupid low wordcount is. Also it's frustrating because right after I sent out my nice first batch of queries I decided I needed to do a bit of rewriting on the first five pages. Nice how that happens. (I'd been DONE for weeks and weeks, too, certain I wasn't going to rewrite anything else... then thinking objectively, I was like, damn it, those first five pages just aren't as good as the rest of it.).

Aggghhh. Hehe.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Hey! Stop poaching our agents. It's like a gay man hitting on a woman you're interested in. Doesn't he have enough choice in his own backyard?

It's tough enough being a Canadian genre author.

Of course we're allowed to go after American agents still. That's different. :)

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Ah gee, flapperphilosopher (or may I call you "flapper?"), I wish I could give you some of my words :D I've got a whole list of how to be wordy, if you're interested. (Or really interested, very interested, somewhat interested, rather interested, interested at this point, etc.)

Low wordcount very well could be an adverse factor for you. What is the usual count for your genre? Any way to throw a bit more plot, etc. in there? I know, the last thing you want to hear. But be careful about this. I thought I was heading into novella length -- then I rejiggered things, and ended up with a trilogy of 100,000 (plus) works. I guess I'm an overachiever.

Thanks for your feedback on my NF situation.

Sorry about the new Rs everyone has reported. I need to finish rewriting and do some querying, so I too can be reporting Rs.

I need to calm down now and work. I just got back home after a rousing shouting match with an idiot in a parking lot. Reminded me of dealing with my local school system. (They're the ones who kept claiming "research shows" things it doesn't show, which is what my NF is about.)

Status
Not open for further replies.