Published clips??

Umgowa

Registered
Reaction score
Some of the publications I'm looking at say to query with published clips. What does "published clips" mean? Do I actually clip out any published articles and snail mail them in? Also if they say to send it published clips, does this imply that if you don't have any published clips, then don't bother sending us anything, we're not interested in unpublished writers? Will a query without any published clips be automatically rejected? Thanks for any input you can give me here.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... no. They'll still consider pieces by writers without published clips, though ones who say to send them do have that expectation. If it's nonfiction then the pub might also want you to send a synopsis or outline of the article you are pitching instead of the article itself and to include published clips as a way of showing them you're capable of carrying through. Published clips are just like you describe. You can photocopy the originals and send them that instead. Just write at the top of each, 'Published Clip.' G'luck.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
You don't have to cut them out. You can even print them out from online or cut and paste them into an email pitch. If they want to see published clips, they want you to have experience. Years ago I had a story idea rejected because none of my clips had to do with the subject I was pitching. I had to build up clips in that area before that publication would work with me which they eventually did. If you are just starting out and need clips, local newspapers are a great place to rack up some clips. They could always use stringers (freelancers). If you have clips from impressive publications, you can also just say that your work has appeared in x, y and z and that you can send clips upon request. I have done that before, but if they are directly asking for clips, they want to see what you've done. Hope this helps.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Another thing you could do if you lack clips is tell the editor you are willing to write on spec. It means you only get paid if they use the story. It is sort of a risk-free way for them to try you out.

Last edited: