Is a good understanding of human nature necessary in order to write about people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Backward OX

XO drawkcaB ehT
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Elsewhere, another poster had this to say:

*And it's my own personal prejudice that I don't believe anyone can be a good author unless they understand human nature. How else can you tell the truth of things on the page? But that's a whole other discussion. :)

What do you think?

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Um, writing stories - whether they're novels or short-stories - is about mapping the human heart and mind. So yeah. It is necessary to understand human nature. IMO.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Heck yes, but maybe you can fake it if you're not the naturally sympathetic type.

-Derek

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I hope not. One of the reasons I am a novelist is because I generally find other people's motivations confusing...

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
You know, this is actually a really good question. My intial response was the same as those above 'of course!'

But then I thought about it some more, and you know what, I'm not sure now.

I mean, what about protags and narrators who DON'T understand people at all? I think that confusion and lack of understanding of human nature can create an environment that is foreign and frightening, so I'm a little torn now to be honest.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
I think it is a little too focused because I think it is not just that you need to understand human nature but have an opinion on a vast swathe of philosophical topics.

And it is an opinon... not necessarily understanding. Understanding implies there is no mystery, you understand everything, whereas an opinion means you know what particular aspect of human nature you wish to discuss and you highlight that, presenting your ideas as fiction. Another author is free to have a completely different opinion to you about the same issue of human nature.

I agree that a writer needs to have some level of knowledge of philosophy and psychology in order to present characters with an adequete amount of depth.I would not say that they need to understand human nature because no one can claim that.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
The protags and the antags can be as thick as logs and have the social skills of stink toads in a swamp, but IMO the writer needs to understand what drives the protag and the antag. So, the writer needs to understand human nature.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
The protags and the antags can be as thick as logs and have the social skills of stink toads in a swamp, but IMO the writer needs to understand what drives the protag and the antag. So, the writer needs to understand human nature.

Just what I was going to say.

I think all writers to an extent are amateur psychologists, some of us professionals. ;)

That's probably the most fascinating thing I find writing in the Roman period, they have a completely different psychology to us. I was reading last night how a man who loved his wife too much was deemed 'effeminate,' which poses a problem for my MC because he has to balance his love for his wife with being a military man.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I hope not. One of the reasons I am a novelist is because I generally find other people's motivations confusing...

I agree, and by writing we are trying to understand confusing behaviour. I'm never going to be able empathise with how it feels to be a psychopath or sociopath, but fiction is a way to gain a level of understanding.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
You obviously don't have to know everything there is to know about people, but you need to possess some level of empathy and insight if you're going to create a range of believable characters. Otherwise your PoV characters in particular are all going to be clones of the author.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
Yes, but you don't have to have a psychology degree, or even be intellectually aware that you know human nature. You just have to have empathy, to be able to consider how the world might look to a person who isn't you, and go from there.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
Does a psychopath (and to a lesser degree, a sociopath) even have feelings?

And could such a person write a novel?

Now that's complex and interesting. Disclaimer: I am not an expert, nor a qualified psychologist, but in my psychology studies my understanding was that sociopaths and psychopaths have feelings- grief, anger, etc- but no empathy. They simply can't comprehend that other people may feel things too.They also don't see other people as people, they see them as things there to get the sociopath the things the sociopath wants- whether that's sex, power, or a new T.V.

Obviously, if I'm wrong, please correct me. It's an area of study that fascinates me and I'd like to learn as much as possible.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Does a psychopath (and to a lesser degree, a sociopath) even have feelings?

And could such a person write a novel?

Just because a person suffers from psychopathia doesn't make them a robot. They are unable to empathize with other people, society. That doesn't mean they have feelings. They still have hopes, dreams and ambitions.

A good example is American Psycho, particularly in the 'business card scene.'

Fiona

The Banishing, Released March 2011
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fionasfiction.wordpress.com
We have an understanding of human nature from our very own existance, and our experiences of interacting with other people, over our lifetime - no matter what background we come from, surely? Add to that a writer's capacity to rely on a vivid imagination, to bring a good story to life.

^ I actually tend to agree with what Anne Lyle and Anninyn said, further up this page: I think the real issue is how much we are able to empathise and have insight that can give true depth to the characters we create in our stories.

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Writing, for me, is about unravelling the mystery. I don't ever assume to know human nature. I do, however, announce my love for it...and my need to whittle away at the perplexity of it.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I don't think you need to understand human nature, but you do need to be curious about it.

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
I don't think anyone can understand human nature in a complete sense. There's always some element of motivation that eludes most of society. Personally, I think writing (and reading) helps to uncover more of those hidden corners of the human psyche.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I think the real issue is how much we are able to empathise and have insight that can give true depth to the characters we create in our stories.

Writing, for me, is about unravelling the mystery. I don't ever assume to know human nature. I do, however, announce my love for it...and my need to whittle away at the perplexity of it.

I agree with both of these and think this is actually a really good question.

I am a pretty sympathetic/empathetic person, and there's a lot I "get" about human nature. But there is a lot more I don't know until I sort it all out through my writing.

I definitely believe that the writer has to understand his own characters' natures and motivations. You can't write a story about someone whose head you can't get inside...at least not a story that a reader will get lost in. And that's what we all want, right?

The Backward OX

XO drawkcaB ehT
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I definitely believe that the writer has to understand his own characters' natures and motivations. You can't write a story about someone whose head you can't get inside...at least not a story that a reader will get lost in. And that's what we all want, right?

So would you say that a person who lacks the ability to empathise would make a poor writer (of fiction)?

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
So would you say that a person who lacks the ability to empathise would make a poor writer (of fiction)?

Totally lacked the ability to empathize? Yes, I'd say they would make a poor writer of fiction.

Has difficulty empathizing? I think they could do it, but it would be harder for such a person than for somebody with more empathy.

Status
Not open for further replies.