What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miss marisa

Registered
Reaction score
I finally made it to a bookstore because my best friend, who usually avoids books like they're on fire, wanted to go, and my mother was all," Hell yesh, she finally has an interest in something!" I picked up Hold Still by Nina LaCour and The DUFF by Kody Keplinger. My friend got Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (she thought the cover was pretty) and Shadowland (#4 Immortals Series) by Alyson Noel because it is the only series she's kept up with other than Warriors.

Hold Still just wrecked me. I had to put it down for a few minutes just to collect myself because I was starting to cry. And there were moments where I just bawled. I stayed up until one o'clock and only got halfway through. And I can't read it in school, for fear I'd break down in the middle of class. I've never felt so emotionally affected by a book. It's rather intense.

Wolf in the Fable

All the better to write with!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wolfinthefable.blogspot.com
I am finally getting around to reading Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson after my friend lent it to me. I'm about halfway through, but I'm a speed reader and I'm waiting up for news... so I think I'll finish it tonight.

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
I bought a copy of Beatle Meets Destiny while in Australia two months ago. It's in the pile - I hope to read it soon.

Cool :) it's definitely Aussie humour. completely hilarious and very very different :D

Hold Still just wrecked me. I had to put it down for a few minutes just to collect myself because I was starting to cry. And there were moments where I just bawled. I stayed up until one o'clock and only got halfway through. And I can't read it in school, for fear I'd break down in the middle of class. I've never felt so emotionally affected by a book. It's rather intense.

Hold Still floored me too.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I finished PASSING STRANGE by Daniel Waters. It's not a bad book - I like zombies anyway but this was trying to do something different and while the civil rights themes have been done to death (no pun intended) in YA fiction, it's still handled wellhere. I particularly liked his themes of depression and suicide, which he handled sensitively. Where it didn't work for me was the plot, which seemed all over the place towards the end - mainly because of the way he swapped POVs, which left gaps in the narrative IMO. Still, I was interested enough to now want to read the first two books in this series and see where he goes with it next.

Have just started YOU AGAINST ME by Jenny Downham, which I'm enjoying so far. It's got the same themes of anger and frustration and unfairness as BEFORE I DIE, but there's a different feel to it, which I'm really enjoying. What I like about Downham's writing is that her teens always feel true.

MM

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Finished hush, hush recently.... GAH! what is up with that BFF? or the mom who lets her daughter basically live alone within a year of her husband being murdered? or sentences like this: "Sending it to the printer, she tucked the paper in her backpack, turned off the monitor, and left the lab." (or something like that-- I don't have it infront of me)..... GAH, GAH, GAH!!

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reading Heist Society. It's okay so far, but it doesn't seem to have the freshness of I'd Tell You I Love You But Then I'd Have To Kill You. The voice isn't as strong.

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
Have just started YOU AGAINST ME by Jenny Downham, which I'm enjoying so far. It's got the same themes of anger and frustration and unfairness as BEFORE I DIE, but there's a different feel to it, which I'm really enjoying. What I like about Downham's writing is that her teens always feel true.

MM

really can;t wait for it. i agree she nails the whole teen feel just brilliantly (well, in Before I Die :))

I'm just over 100 pages in Songs For a Teenage Nomad by Kim Culbertson

The beginning overwhelmed me when she introduced about 15 characters at once and I nearly needed to make a chart to keep reading. But I've fudged my way through and am pretty into it now.

Forsaken

...Writing...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading HOURGLASS by Claudia Gray. Loving it so far.

piano_island

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Hunger Games and Catching Fire (obviously judging by my thread posting history), but now I'm several chapters into Jellicoe Road.

Why didn't I pick it up earlier? I'm in a hurry to get to the end, but I also want to savor it. I haven't liked a book this much in a LONG time.

Shadow_Bee

Meddling with the Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talkmusebanter.blogspot.com
Reading Lauren Strasnick's Her And Me And You. Wanted to read it for long. Sparse prose, strong voice, interesting storyline (in the author'a words, it deals with 'twincest')..liking it so far.

I want to read Hold Still real bad. If I wasn't so broke (surviving on giveaways and ARCs now), I'd have the book by now. Read an excerpt a while back and really liked it.

MM

*Jealous* *pouts*
Jenny Downham's characters seem to jump outta the pages. Tessa (from Before I Die) is one of my favourite MCs ever. She was rude, inconderate, angst-ridden and I loved her.

Reading Heist Society. It's okay so far, but it doesn't seem to have the freshness of I'd Tell You I Love You But Then I'd Have To Kill You. The voice isn't as strong.

I had to put aside Heist Society for some other books which I have to review but I think it has a really clever premise. You don't get to see much on con artists in YA.

Just finished Stolen. Wow.

Stolen's on my shelf right now. Can't wait to get down to reading it.

SillyMom25

Registered
Reaction score
Stolen was amazing but way too short. That could have been a huge book and I would have lapped it up.

I've moved on to Tell Me a Secret by Holly Cupala. It's good but a little confusing with its constant flashbacks in flashbacks (and annoying names...Rand? Kamran? Xanda? Essence??). But it's nice to read a book with teen pregnancy that isn't all about the pregnancy.

Last edited:

Shadow_Bee

Meddling with the Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talkmusebanter.blogspot.com
Stolen was amazing but way too short. That could have been a huge book and I would have lapped it up.

I've moved on to Tell Me a Secret by Holly Cupala. It's good but a little confusing with its constant flashbacks in flashbacks (and annoying names...Rand? Kamran? Xanda? Essence??). But it's nice to read a book with teen pregnancy that isn't all about the pregnancy.

I enjoyed Tell Me A Secret. It kept me intrigued and I loved the gritty realism. Yeah, the flashbacks have been confusing some readers, though that wasn't a problem for me. Hope you like it, eventually.

SillyMom25

Registered
Reaction score
I guess part of the reason it was a little confusing is because I was reading and watching Grey's Anatomy at the same time. :D

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Hunger Games and Catching Fire (obviously judging by my thread posting history), but now I'm several chapters into Jellicoe Road.

Why didn't I pick it up earlier? I'm in a hurry to get to the end, but I also want to savor it. I haven't liked a book this much in a LONG time.

Ooooh...exciting to hear! My friend sent me a copy of that book and it's sitting on my nightstand as we speak. After I finish Blue Fire and then read Fire (by Kristin Cashore), I think Jelicoe is next on my list. I also have Shiver to read. Gosh...the choices, the choices!

piano_island

Registered
Reaction score
Ooooh...exciting to hear! My friend sent me a copy of that book and it's sitting on my nightstand as we speak. After I finish Blue Fire and then read Fire (by Kristin Cashore), I think Jelicoe is next on my list. I also have Shiver to read. Gosh...the choices, the choices!

I just finished Jellicoe Road. I didn't want to though. I wanted it to last forever! I wasn't disappointed with the ending like I am with most books these days either.

The whole thing was just...beautiful.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Bee:
*Jealous* *pouts*
Jenny Downham's characters seem to jump outta the pages. Tessa (from Before I Die) is one of my favourite MCs ever. She was rude, inconderate, angst-ridden and I loved her.

:flaunts:

Sorry. I actually finished reading YOU AGAINST ME by Jenny Downham today and I really enjoyed it. It's the characterisation that makes the book. It's about a teenage boy whose sister is raped by a boy after a party, but while he's trying to find a way to take revenge on him, he falls in love with the perpetrator's sister. The plot itself was a bit too predictable, but she deals with the dilemma well.

I'm going to give away the ARC in the next few weeks on my blog - I'll put details up on the ARC thread when it's ready to go.

MM

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
Just finished Stolen. Wow.

I loved Stolen too :)

Stolen

LOL @ the names. I have some long running jokes about names like that. Classic!

Make Jellicoe next :D

:flaunts:

Sorry. I actually finished reading YOU AGAINST ME by Jenny Downham today and I really enjoyed it. It's the characterisation that makes the book. It's about a teenage boy whose sister is raped by a boy after a party, but while he's trying to find a way to take revenge on him, he falls in love with the perpetrator's sister. The plot itself was a bit too predictable, but she deals with the dilemma well.

I'm going to give away the ARC in the next few weeks on my blog - I'll put details up on the ARC thread when it's ready to go.

MM

yay for the flaunting. what's your blog link anyways? :) sounds cool. i can forgive unpredictable plots for brilliant charcterisation.

so.. I'm half way through Linger by Maggie Stiefvater. failing to engage. not quite sure what the plot is?

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
so.. I'm half way through Linger by Maggie Stiefvater. failing to engage. not quite sure what the plot is?

I've had Linger on my list for a while now, but I keep pushing it back. Not sure why, maybe because it seemed like the story should have been done and I'm reluctant to see what she did with the characters. Also I've heard that there are 4 different POV which is kind of a turn off. On the other hand, I loved the prose in Shiver and I'd like to read more of her stuff.

Currently reading An Abundance of Katherines. Love the dialogue and the writing and the voice and the character of Hassan. But the MC is kind of getting on my nerves. I feel like I want to slap him silly and yell 'get over yourself already!' I can deal with some unlikeable MC's, especially when they have a significant story to tell, but with this one I'm not so sure. Guessing that I'll probably rate it a 4.

jkababy

Children, ready yourselves.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkabay.com
I'm reading Madman of Venice by Sophia Masson.
and I'm utterly unenthused. I wish I was one of those peeps who could stop reading a book when they are completed bored but I am a Capricorn and MUST FINISH things.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Prom by Laurie Halse Anderson this afternoon. Much lighter than her other stuff and not quite as well written. I guess I would say it's my least favorite of hers so far. I liked the perspective of a lower middle class MC, but it didn't really have me hanging on every word. The most memorable character was actually the best-friend's grandmother.

On to Twenty Boy Summer now - read the first couple chapters and I would love to settle in and finish it all tonight.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just started the Zombies Vs Unicorns anthology and it is awesome. Good stories and hilarious banter between the authors. Also, zombies! (and unicorns.)

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
On to Twenty Boy Summer now - read the first couple chapters and I would love to settle in and finish it all tonight.

I loved Twenty Boy Summer. A book that I would have loved as a teen.

I just finished The Luxe by Anna Godbersen. Which was okay - not my usual scene but I liked it enough.

I have options now:

Sea by Heidi Kling
The Bog Child by Siobhan Dowd
The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams

Not sure what mood I'm in?

Status
Not open for further replies.