The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! And thanks for those waves, JB. Somewhere on the other side of the world there is apparently a butterfly madly flapping its wings.

Solunar

Treading the Borderland
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks callalily, Snappy, DG, Steve, Astri, AmyJay, OL, and tracy!

As sad as it, I'm glad I'm not the only one in the boat, Amy. :p I guess I can understand where my mum's coming from. It's similar to how I wouldn't read a genre I'm not interested in. At least she isn't as against it as before. She's stopped saying it's disgusting. So, eh, maybe if I write enough she'll be curious to read it some day.

Peggy! Ah! What a crapola of crap happening. Will there be any legal action taken? (Though I imagine that isn't very good PR.)

JBuck

Registered
Reaction score
(((Solunar)))
You've got a great attitude there.
Love your Roald Dahl quote, by the way. Love, love, love it.

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
No legal action, Solunar - there's nothing to claim. Mistakes get made. That's why pencils have erasers. Love the Roald Dahl quote too!

Solunar

Treading the Borderland
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks JBuck and Peggy!

The quote made me do a double-read until I got it.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
{{{AmyJ}}}

Oh, how frustrating Peggy. Hope they get it resolved, and quickly!

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all! At least my interview with CBC Radio went well today - Shelagh Rogers is a great host. Glad it was radio and not TV though when I got home and discovered I had buttoned my jacket buttons out of sync. Looked like a rumpled toddler.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, you're on The Next Chapter? When does it air?

You'll have to link to the podcast for our American friends.

I'm really jealous of you now BTW.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
That's so exciting. I had no idea so many authors did radio interviews, but I read about it a lot on AW. Very cool.

The CBC is really good for that. There are two different radio shows dedicated to author interviews, books etc. and a half-dozen others that have regular author interviews, but aren't dedicated to books. It's worth checking out the podcasts, even if you don't know the author in question. They often have useful tidbits or insights into the process.

http://www.cbc.ca/podcasting/

Look for The Next Chapter, or Writers and Company.

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure when it will air, Drachen, I will let you know. (I used to be jealous of those authors who got interviewed on CBC, too, so I totally understand your feelings:)).

Yes, MissesD, in Canada, at least on CBC radio, they do a lot with authors. Shelagh Rogers' program (The Next Chapter) is popular and so is Eleanor Wachtel's (Writers and Company).

They also have a Canada Reads competition where books are chosen and defended by various celebrities.

We're very fortunate to have that kind of support from our national/public radio station.

Glad to hear you got the book, Drachen - sure hope you like it!

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, I hope you have all found out via Twitter that our own Hellion, Horse (aka Em) has had a traumatic couple of days: her two dogs were bitten by a rattlesnake yesterday and until today, it looked like Angel might lose an eye. Both pups are recovering well now, but it must have been terrifying! I'm sure she'd be happy to hear from you.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no poor, Em! *slinks off to tweet the luv*

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Angel got struck 3x apparently; Noel once. Angel almost lost an eye. The snake was just trying to protect itself. But traumatizing for all involved. And fatal for the snake. Poor Em; it sounds like it's been non-step veterinary care and lots of fearful hours.

JBuck

Registered
Reaction score
Peggy, the interviewer may have thought the buttons out of sync was an arty writer's quirk ;) Glad it went well.

Poor Em. *sending hugs to her and pets*

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Gosh, I can remember the radio days. I think I did something like 38 appearances for one book and about 22 for the other. They were both non-fiction: one How-To and the other was a consumer warning book. I don't know if fiction would ever get this kind of attention unless you were a A-lister. But radio is fun to do.

Uhg. Sorry about the pups. We just lost a dog to a horse kick.

Tri

Astri

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the interview, Peggy!

Yikes, so sorry to hear about Horse's puppies... that's terrible.

Ugh, I just got a rejection on manuscript #1 after a long period of silence. At this point, it feels like a kick when I'm down.

Still, nothing too much in agreement with anyone else: the plot is "too complicated," apparently, which is the first time I've heard that one. That's... interesting? I'm scraping for something positive, here.

Sigh. I need a beer.

AmyJay

Registered
Reaction score
That's so sad to hear about the dogs. :(

Sorry about the R, Astri. Rejections can be even harder after a lot of waiting. The longer I'm waiting for a response, the more time I spend imagining that there might be good news when I finally do hear back.

That's awesome about the interview, Peggy! I hope the mess with the publisher gets sorted out, quickly and painlessly.

Solunar, at least that's a step in the right direction - a baby step, but still! Hopefully it'll just take time for her to get more comfortable with it. But yeah, I hear you about it being conflicting.

Thanks for all the hugs. :) There are still some imprints that have yet to respond, so I've just got to keep my fingers crossed.

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
{{{Astri}}}

{{{Tri}}}

{{{Em}}} I can't imagine dealing with those kinds of injuries to my dogs. They're our babies! :-/

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
In staying in tune with hell, I just got a form rejection on a form submission. How appropriate, sez me. I robot you--you robot me.

Sticking my head up through the hellish circle and taking a deep breath of fresh air, my publisher finally relented, and now we're giving the werewolf thriller a new title--The Wolfen Strain.

Hell, I know it's not a word, but didn't Streiber do something like that with "Wolven", or some such?

Anyway, it was a damn mess with "Lupis", "Lupus", and "Lupine".

Status
Not open for further replies.