PA's Special Offers aka But I thought they wanted my book, not my money ...

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
But that's why and how he got the job, for which he doesn't appear to have any directly relevant experience.

He may be the best screenwriter ever, and his shorts may be magnificent examples of their form, but he's never sold an adapted screenplay to a studio. Why would anyone choose him as the person to pay to adapt their book into a screenplay? Answer: they wouldn't, but Miranda made the choice for them.

I agree this is a possibility, but I also know that he is a writer. This place is for writers to come, feel comfortable and to teach, learn, and grow. It would difficult for Geoff to come here and feel that way with the comments we are throwing around here.

And just to note, two produced scripts that make it to seven film festivals and two awards including one for best short from Caucus is noteworthy in anyone filmmaker's book.

jdm

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
This place is for writers to come, feel comfortable and to teach, learn, and grow. It would difficult for Geoff to come here and feel that way with the comments we are throwing around here.

I agree, it would be very difficult for Geoff to feel comfortable here or even welcome if he really has the poor judgement to be involved with PA in any way.

Mags

hanging out in near-permanent lurkdom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tilneysandtrapdoors.com
The thing is, the players on Jeopardy have to have HEARD OF the book to make it an answer on the show so they can give a question. Right? Why would some complete unknown's book be included on Jeopardy?

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
The thing is, the players on Jeopardy have to have HEARD OF the book to make it an answer on the show so they can give a question. Right? Why would some complete unknown's book be included on Jeopardy?

Cue the music! We have a winner!

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I agree this is a possibility, but I also know that he is a writer. This place is for writers to come, feel comfortable and to teach, learn, and grow. It would difficult for Geoff to come here and feel that way with the comments we are throwing around here.

And just to note, two produced scripts that make it to seven film festivals and two awards including one for best short from Caucus is noteworthy in anyone filmmaker's book.

I am not critiquing his own work, but PA's choice of him as their provider for screenplay adaptation services. Since he has never to date sold an adapted screenplay based on someone else's work, he is not well qualified to provide those services when compared to others who are working in that particular field.

If Geoff wants to come here and talk about his own work, I am certainly ready to hear about that with an open mind and a supportive spirit. As you say, he has some good accomplishments in his field already.

The thing is that that field isn't all that relevant to the services that his sister's company has announced he will be providing.

Last edited:

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if Geoff knows he's been brought into the PA fold?

If they're using his name in the promotions without his permission, I would feel terrible for him, because that won't reflect well on him professionally.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
What's new?

Let's see what's new at the PublishAmerica bookstore.

Double Book, Double Book Multi and Double Book Rush
59.00, 74.00 and 89.00

With the holidays in sight we will build one new book out of two: one cover, with two front covers, and the two books inside, back to back. Each book begins to read from behind its own front cover, and therefore you flip the book backwards and upside down – and there's your second book!

With your DoubleBook you reach more readers. And more readers get to read more of your stories!

Mult-Ebook and Mult-Ebook Rush
49.00 and 69.00

Two e-books = one MultE-Book.

We will bundle and re-release your e-books together, as one. When your Kindle, Nook, or Google e-book readers buy one of your e-books, they buy them all.
We will sell the MultE-Books at a highly competitive introduction list price of $2.99.

Your e-books will be bundled into one MultE-Book, to the delight of your readers! Your individual e-books will stay in production also.

Your MultE-book will be among the very first to become available to your e-readers.

Must pick a shipping option to activate. No use of coupons is allowed. MUST mention the titles of your books.

Kindle Fire, 29.00
Have your book converted to a Kindle e-book now, before the holiday sales season catches up with you.

Our expert team will convert your book to an Amazon Kindle e-book.

Nook Color, 29.00
Our expert team will convert your book to a Nook e-book.

Do the smart thing, like thousands of authors have done: catch up with the real world and have your book converted to a Kindle AND a Nook e-book. Go to www.publishamerica.net/NookKindle.html to activate for $49.

Must choose a shipping option to activate. Absolutely no use of coupons allowed. Mention your book title!

Nook Kindle 49.00
Do the smart thing, like thousands of authors have done: catch up with the real world and have your book converted to a Kindle AND a Nook e-book.

Must choose a shipping option to activate. Absolutely no use of coupons allowed. Mention your book title!

India Market 39.00
India Market First 49.00
India Market 4 Only 69.00
India Market Multi 89.00
India Market Half Page 89.00
India Market Full Page 99.00

We will bring your book to India's attention, in a beautiful full-color presentation that will catch and hold their attention! We will meet them two weeks from now at the Frankfurt Book Fair, where PublishAmerica is sending its own negotiators!

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Frankfurt Book Fair

Funny, PA does not appear to be listed in the Frankfurt catalog.

Company search in the Frankfurt Catalogue
Last search: Company: publishamerica | City / Town: frederick | Description: publish america | Country: United States

Company
City / Town
Country
Status
Booth 2011
Details

No results

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Quoted by Catslave 'With the holidays in sight we will build one new book out of two: one cover, with two front covers, and the two books inside, back to back. Each book begins to read from behind its own front cover, and therefore you flip the book backwards and upside down – and there's your second book!'
I remember books like this when I was a kid, I think there were science-fiction paperbacks, back-to-back, and children's abridged classics. So why, when I see it from PA, do I immediately think it's a bindery error?

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
For the same reason I immediately think that PA will have their hands full keeping books straight now. They are already known for placing the wrong book contents inside a book cover. Can you imagine what might happen when they have to keep track of two books and two book covers?

I wonder if PA will double the price of the book, as well. I can't imagine them missing an opportunity to gouge their authors out of money.

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
With the holidays in sight we will build one new book out of two: one cover, with two front covers, and the two books inside, back to back. Each book begins to read from behind its own front cover, and therefore you flip the book backwards and upside down – and there's your second book!

With your DoubleBook you reach more readers. And more readers get to read more of your stories!

Of course, only one book will count for royalties because there aren't two separate books.

How long PA comes up with an idea of bundling two different authors' books together? And, of course, charging both authors for the privilege of reaching more readers. Remember a few years ago when PA was putting ads in the backs of other books? This is even better, er, worse.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
As I recall, that debacle had a sexy romance novel ad in the back of a children's book. I can see it now, one book is erotica and the other is someone's triumph over cancer.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I remember when Ace was doing that. And even then, with a legitimate press, sometimes they reported that one half of a particular Ace Double was selling better than the other half.

I can only imagine how badly PA will screw this up.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Best Buy 39.00
Best Buy Rush 49.00

Be among the very, very first to have your Kindle e-book ready for those Best Buy customers!

We will let you know immediately when Amazon has your book, and that it is available to all Best Buy customers through Amazon's Kindle.

My Book Tour 79.00
You will be contacted by your Book Tour agent within 48 business hours. They will ask you for your availability and the locales of your availability, for information about local bookstores and other area venues and anything else that may be helpful, and for your local media. Once one or more events are scheduled, they will contact your local media with details about your book tour. Your Book Tour agent will do all the talking and scheduling with the stores. Please note that on occasion a bookstore may want to meet you in person before they commit to an event. Limited to USA and Canada.

Must choose shipping option to activate. No use of coupons allowed. Mention your book title(s).
Oh, goody, here's Random House again, this time with a disclaimer.

Random House 29.00
Random House First 39.00
Random House Multi 55.00
Random House Multi First 69.00

Your books will be among the very first that we will introduce to Random House in Frankfurt

Our delegation will introduce your book to Random House when we share floor space in Frankfurt the week after next.

http://www.publishamerica.net/online_bookstore.html