Disaster In My Region: AW Check In Thread (Tornadoes, Floods)

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Then enjoy! Comfort food and cocoa for a cold. snowy day. In my younger days we used to bake cinnamon rolls or a big rice pudding on snow days. Now I just swill MadDog. It's easier to man a shovel on a bum wine buzz--s6

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Checking in from near Rochester, NY. The storm is over for us. I pity those people along the coast into Maine.

View from my bedroom window:

Toward the driveway
NemoFeb82013002_zpsbbea1892.jpg

Looking east into the swamp
NemoFeb82013007_zpsbc1304eb.jpg

Trees and Powerlines
NemoFeb82013011_zpsc307fd58.jpg

I have to, at some point, go out and clear off the truck and shovel. But I spent yesterday clearing off the truck, shoveling, and knocking the snow off of the canopy over the porch so the metal poles wouldn't collapse beneath the snow's weight. I managed to knock the snow (most of it though not all of it) off the canopy this morning and I haven't had the energy to go out and shovel. It may have to wait until tomorrow. I hear a cup of tea and a novel calling my name....

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Thanks for the pics, Ambrosia! Thanks for checking in everyone. Holding the good thought for those still in the dark...or white.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
And here I was feeling a bit sorry for myself, until I found out what folks to the south of me are dealing with...

We got just over a foot of snow (about 35 cm or so, I think). I had to deliver 70 papers during the blizzard yesterday, on foot. I usually take my car, but warnings to keep the car at home would have been superfluous--I couldn't get it out of the driveway. So I conscripted my daughter to do 21 papers, and I did the rest. It took me a couple of hours, and I was a bit frozen at the end of it. :)

But this morning when I got up it was so, so pretty. But I hear it's supposed to melt within the next couple of days. Yuck. I hate slush a lot worse than I hate snow.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Over 2 feet, but the power stayed on and our sweet neighbor shoveled our porch and climbed a huge snow drift to clean around our furnace vent.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Checking in from Rhode Island:

We got hit hard with wind and snow in my state. In my city we got about a foot and a half of snow.

Half of my state was without power at the beginning of the storm. My family lost power on Friday night around 9 pm. We finally got everything back last night (Saturday) around 11:30 pm.

When the power was out, we had no heat, no electricity, and could not use our stove at all since it's an electric stove. I had just bought a ton of food so we put the food in a cooler and put it outside in the cold to keep it cold.

My sister is staying with us since she had no power at her house as of this morning and was very cold. It was 8 degrees last night. Thankfully our heat came on before we went to bed last night. But the first night was really hard to get through with no heat.

The only plus from the whole ordeal is it brought us all closer. With no electricity, no one could be on the computer, or playing video games, or watching TV, or any of the various activities that require power. We lit candles, hugged each other, and tried to laugh and stay positive.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Holding the good thought for everyone in snow country!

Thanks to those of you who have checked in.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm in south central Kansas. This is our third day at home. When my superintendent called school on Tuesday night he assured us that we would be back on Thursday. Then on Wednesday night it was "be at school on Friday, regular time.' ha. Everything is shut down. We have about 14 inches of snow. I have managed to throw some sunflower seeds at the feeders. No ice so we still have electricity and heat. We've been living on hamburger soup and variations of the ubiquitous grilled cheese sandwich. There are three boxes of Girl scout cookies on my desk 16 miles away. I dream about them--s6

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Thoughts and warming vibes for those snowed in.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
We are eating snow ice cream! Haven't done this since I was a kid! It was Annie's idea. She used vanilla, snow, milk and sugar. I tried to tell her the yellow snow had a delightful lemon flavor but she wasn't having any of it! --s6

Last edited:

Ashwood

supercalifragilisticexpia lidocious
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone should move near me (if you're stateside), I might live in one of the safest places. We have snow storms that melt the next day. And that's only once in awhile. Warnings of forest fires in the summer, but never close enough to civilization.

And active volcanos that will never blow!

A stable economy on the other hand... Hm...

Ashwood

supercalifragilisticexpia lidocious
Registered
Reaction score
Checking in from near Rochester, NY. The storm is over for us. I pity those people along the coast into Maine.

View from my bedroom window:

Toward the driveway
NemoFeb82013002_zpsbbea1892.jpg

Looking east into the swamp
NemoFeb82013007_zpsbc1304eb.jpg

Trees and Powerlines
NemoFeb82013011_zpsc307fd58.jpg

I have to, at some point, go out and clear off the truck and shovel. But I spent yesterday clearing off the truck, shoveling, and knocking the snow off of the canopy over the porch so the metal poles wouldn't collapse beneath the snow's weight. I managed to knock the snow (most of it though not all of it) off the canopy this morning and I haven't had the energy to go out and shovel. It may have to wait until tomorrow. I hear a cup of tea and a novel calling my name....
Oh my! The pictures are beautiful, but having to suffer through it would be difficult! Hope you all are doing ok!

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We are eating snow ice cream! Haven't done this since I was a kid! It was Annie's idea. She used vanilla, snow, milk and sugar. I tried to tell her the yellow snow had a delightful lemon flavor but she wasn't having any of it! --s6

My friend lives in Great Bend. I spoke with her this morning, she didn't say how many inches, but that no more was expected today or tomorrow. She is planning on picking her Mom up in Pawnee Rock tomorrow morning and going to Ellsworth (?) for an aunt's 90th birthday. Since they won't leave till around 11, she thinks the roads should be OK by then.

MM

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Great Bend? Rah-Rah-Rick a Rack! Great Bend Panthers red and black! Yaayyy Panthers! Class of 68 here!

May not make the reunion this spring though--left my snow boots under my desk in Macksville and shoveled snow all p.m. in my sneakers. Not a wise move for a woman of my years!--s6

JMC2009

Your friendly neighborhood Chat Op
Registered
Reaction score
I got 9.5 inches from Q, but was back at work today! Roads were horrible this morning though.

Bloo

Roofied by Rylan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emergencyroomproductions.net
My friend lives in Great Bend. I spoke with her this morning, she didn't say how many inches, but that no more was expected today or tomorrow. She is planning on picking her Mom up in Pawnee Rock tomorrow morning and going to Ellsworth (?) for an aunt's 90th birthday. Since they won't leave till around 11, she thinks the roads should be OK by then.

MM

I live in Hays about 70 miles from Ellsworth. No snow today, none expected tomorrow but another front moving in on Sunday to this area. Tell her to be careful! Roads are okay and HS State Wrestling championships started today as scheduled

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
School called again for tomorrow. 4 straight days with no school. We lost five days because of the Greensburg tornado in 2007 and 4 because of an ice storm the next year but 4 days lost is unusual and hard to make up.

This seems crazy. No snow right now. Today was near thirty and sunny but the forecast is 90% chance of 6-12 inches of snow. This time with high winds and ice. --s6

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Unfortunately I am putting on layers of me. Live on grilled cheese sandwiches, soup, Cream of Wheat and sausage/sauerkraut pirogi for a solid week and you get that fabulous Esquimaux chic. I am getting a lot of writing in. OOO-there's the tea kettle, time for my buttered raisin toast and tea break--s6

JMC2009

Your friendly neighborhood Chat Op
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, stay warm, S6! It has *just* started snowing here... Big fat flakes. Estimated that we'll get 10 inches worth.