• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Carina Press

emberleigh

Registered
Reaction score
Signing to publication depends almost entirely on each individual author because we put together a plan for each author, based on their ability to deliver not just book one but subsequent manuscripts, so we can build a reader base and use momentum. That means we can publish something 5-6 months from signing (building in time for edits, copy edits, proofreading, production and retail uploading) or it might be 12 months from signing. But the author is always involved in timing/scheduling and we've re-arranged at author's request more than once.

Speaking of signing...which I would LOVE to do with Carina someday...I was just curious to know if submission response times tend to take much longer than 3 months? I subbed back in November and wrote in once the 90 days had passed (which was about 2 weeks ago). I got a very prompt response from an editorial member saying my submission was still being reviewed and I'd be contacted as soon as they had a response for me. Other than being incredibly antsy and hopeful, I just wondered if there was an additional amount of time I could expect to wait; some sort of upper limit where I should maybe check in again?

And, as an aside: I've found the sub process to be a joy with Submittable!

Thanks in advance,
Ember Leigh

Angela James

savvy editor
Registered
Reaction score
It really shouldn't take more than 3 months but sometimes a submission does get misplaced in the queue. I've sent along your name and asked them to investigate and get back to you!

emberleigh

Registered
Reaction score
It really shouldn't take more than 3 months but sometimes a submission does get misplaced in the queue. I've sent along your name and asked them to investigate and get back to you!

Wow! Thank you so much! Very much looking forward to the final word on this submission :)

Edit: My most recent submission (in February) was responded to very quickly. But the one I submitted in November is still showing as in-progress. Ack! Back to waiting...

Last edited:

Rebecca Cohen

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone asked a query via the submissions email? The info says 72 hours for a reply, but it's been longer than that and I'm wondering if I should wait it out a little longer or if I should send another email.

Rebecca Cohen

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone asked a query via the submissions email? The info says 72 hours for a reply, but it's been longer than that and I'm wondering if I should wait it out a little longer or if I should send another email.

Just to say feedback received so all resolved.

Reactions: Turtle2023

CLMustafic

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever sent in something when Carina asked for proposals? I sent in a proposal for their Paranormal call back in May and it's been just over the time limit but I thought since it wasn't a whole MS that they'd get back sooner rather than later. Of course, I have no idea how their process works, so I'm probably wrong. I'm just hesitant to nudge them because I don't want to look like I'm impatient and bugging them.

Also if they accept the proposal, what are the odds they'll reject the book once it's submitted? Anyone have that happen?

JustWonderin

Registered
Reaction score
I did a different call for proposals. I sent in 3 chapters and a 5 page synopsis and got a full request. About a month after I sent in my full I got a form rejection. But they usually take much much much longer to get to submissions.

CLMustafic

Registered
Reaction score
I did a different call for proposals. I sent in 3 chapters and a 5 page synopsis and got a full request. About a month after I sent in my full I got a form rejection. But they usually take much much much longer to get to submissions.

Well, that sucks. I guess, I'd just like to know if they have any interest at all and if not, I'll go about submitting it to other publishers who don't do simultaneous submissions which is why I haven't sent it anywhere else yet.

Thanks for the reply.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever sent in something when Carina asked for proposals? I sent in a proposal for their Paranormal call back in May and it's been just over the time limit but I thought since it wasn't a whole MS that they'd get back sooner rather than later. Of course, I have no idea how their process works, so I'm probably wrong. I'm just hesitant to nudge them because I don't want to look like I'm impatient and bugging them.

Also if they accept the proposal, what are the odds they'll reject the book once it's submitted? Anyone have that happen?

If it's gone past the time they stated they'd respond to the proposal submissions I would get in touch. I write for Carina and can attest to the fact there aren't any writer-eating ogres over there. Joking aside, I don't believe they'll blacklist you for a polite enquiry. Could be your submission got lost. These things do happen. HTH

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that sucks. I guess, I'd just like to know if they have any interest at all and if not, I'll go about submitting it to other publishers who don't do simultaneous submissions which is why I haven't sent it anywhere else yet.

Thanks for the reply.

They say you can contact them after the usual 12 weeks response time is up. From their submission guidelines:
Please allow 12 weeks for an editorial response to your submission. If a response has not been received after 12 weeks, please follow up via your Submittable account at https://carinapress.submittable.com/submit by adding a note to your submission log.

CLMustafic

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Pisco Sour and Marlys. I took your advice and sent them a polite inquiry and have already heard back from them. Just have to wait another week or so to find out if it's a yes or no. :D

Telergic

Overwriting
Registered
Reaction score
This post is to note that the Carina Press (a Harlequin ebook imprint) guidelines are wildly optimistic regarding their response times. At the moment my first-ever romantic novella (an urban fantasy) is on submission there. They promise to respond in under 12 weeks to all submissions.

• At 12 weeks, my novella's submission status changed to in-progress; presumably it hadn't even been looked at before then.
  • At 16 weeks, I queried and received an immediate professional response (yay), telling me they were behind but that I should expect a response very soon.
  • At 24 weeks, I queried again.
  • At 25 weeks, I queried through a different channel and was told once again they were "a bit" behind :tongue but my manuscript was still under consideration.
  • Today, I'm still waiting. But realistically, given the season, there won't be a response until mid-January at the earliest, and I can't be very optimistic, either.

All this is honestly not that outrageous given current publishing conditions; it's just something to be aware of. You might be lucky enough to get a response in 3 months; but it might be 6 or even longer. At least, unlike some publishers, they respond to queries. If anyone else has experience with Carina Press I'd be interested in hearing your opinions.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I've had a novella there since early August, but it didn't go 'in progress' until sometime in October (didn't check that often, so not sure of exactly when). Considered asking, but since we're now firmly into the holiday season, I thought I'd wait until January. Knowing there's a general backup reassures me that mine probably isn't lost in the system somewhere, so I can be more patient.

Sent the same novella to another press on the same day. They're supposed to respond within 3-4 months--we're a bit past 19 weeks now, so Carina isn't the only place that's maybe too optimistic about response times.

MartinaMay

Registered
Reaction score
I've sent two MSs for their open proposal (light-hearted contemp). Both were marked in-progress by day 10 (the second marked on Friday).

Ephiny0

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sarahbyrne.org
My novel has been with them for 5 months now, so I agree the 3 month thing is a bit optimistic. I did query after 4 months, and got a prompt reply apologising for the delay and confirming that my manuscript was with an editor, so I'm not worried.

Let's all hope for some good news in the new year :).

lottiewrites

Registered
Reaction score
My novel has been with them for 5 months now, so I agree the 3 month thing is a bit optimistic. I did query after 4 months, and got a prompt reply apologising for the delay and confirming that my manuscript was with an editor, so I'm not worried.

Let's all hope for some good news in the new year :).

Mine is also at the 5 month mark. Guess they're pretty busy!

Ephiny0

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sarahbyrne.org
Well, it turned out to be a form rejection just short of 6 months. Sigh. I know editors are busy and form letters are normal, but hoped there might be a very slightly more personal response after they held it so long (and I given that I did get some kind feedback on my previous submission to them).

Good luck to everyone else waiting.

kssmith626

Registered
Reaction score
Just got my form rejection. Took 2 months, but maybe that's because I subbed to a specific editor? I got a positive email from another publisher right before this rejection, so it didn't bruise quite so badly as it could have.

Good luck to everyone else waiting!

Telergic

Overwriting
Registered
Reaction score
Still waiting at 30 weeks out of 12.... Totally agree, @Ephiny0, if they are going to run 3 months late, they really should at least provide a bit of personal feedback plus an apology for the delay. And they should also update the website to remove the overly optimistic language about how long to expect.

MartinaMay

Registered
Reaction score
One of my MSs with Carina received a form R (this was a proposal with the first 4 chapters). I received the R 6 weeks after subbing. I'm still waiting on the other MS (which was a full). If it follows the same pattern, I'll hear this week or next (6 weeks from sub).

I think it's a good thing that some of you are waiting longer. To me, it means they're excited about the MS.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
I just checked to be sure the turnaround time on their website is still 12 weeks and saw this: If you don’t include your phone number, it makes it impossible for us to make The Call!

For those of you published with Carina, did they call you? I'm two days away from 12 weeks and have a couple of unknown numbers on my phone (I usually don't answer unknown numbers because 99% of the time they turn out to be bots). Since another publisher showed some interest (but not enough to offer a contract) I'm thinking this story might have a shot (and am getting a little antsy :)).

NineLimes

Registered
Reaction score
This was a few years back, but yes, Carina called me. An editor there had my ms from a contest, and then I signed with an agent. As soon as she told me they wanted to make me an offer, I told them I had an agent (so they could call her) but getting that call was very exciting and a definite highlight of my career.