• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Jane Rotrosen Agency

WriteStarfish

Registered
Reaction score
My biggest problem is choosing which agent I want to send a query: Meg Ruley, Annelise Robey or Christina Hogrebe.

Also, I think though I'm not 100% positive, that the agents may share information with each other in the office. My responses from them have always included the words "We think" or "We'd like" or "We've read" etc. Perhaps, the "they" was the agent and intern but from other interviews and things, I think they may be more of a sharing agency than some are.

Shall

Too Much Plot, No Substance
Registered
Reaction score
If it helps, you could research each agent's sales, and see which best suits your genre or writing style.
Thanks. I didn't think about sales. I know that all of them represent my genre and writing style.

I hope so WriteStarfish.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
I am surprised no one has mentioned that this agency represents Tami Hoag (Andrea Cirillo) and Lisa Gardner (Meg Ruley), two best-selling mystery/suspense authors.

WriteStarfish

Registered
Reaction score
Oh they have an excellent reputation with several NY Times bestsellers as well as international translations and books made into films and tv movies as well as tv series. Besides all of this, they have been very courteous in my communication with them. I'll be thrilled if they say yes! :)

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
I am surprised no one has mentioned that this agency represents Tami Hoag (Andrea Cirillo) and Lisa Gardner (Meg Ruley), two best-selling mystery/suspense authors.

Meg Ruley also reps Tess Gerritsen. I queried Ms. Ruley a week ago about a mystery of my own.

WriteStarfish

Registered
Reaction score
Meg Ruley also reps Tess Gerritsen. I queried Ms. Ruley a week ago about a mystery of my own.

Good luck with your query 52greg. I didn't have to wait too long to hear back about my query- 3 weeks after sending it-- from Ms. Cirillo's intern. I know that I'm always curious of how long it takes others to hear back, when I'm waiting to hear, so I thought you might like to know.

Flatliner

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been lurking at AW for a while and have to thank you for your wisdom and wit.

Just wondering if you guys heard back from Jane Rotrosen agency. I've recently queried Ms. Hogrebe and am keeping fingers crossed for some interest. With all the rejections I've been getting I'll probably end up having a heart attack if someone asks to read more.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Carlie Webber, librarian turned agent? I see that she represents middle grade which is what I write. However, she isn't in their Agent Query listing and Query Tracker showed submissions but no responses. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
Does anyone have any experience with Carlie Webber, librarian turned agent?

She has a twitter account: @carliebeth

This is quoted from her agency bio:

Now she is building her agenting career on her favorite genres: young adult, middle grade, romance, horror, mystery, suspense, thrillers, literary fiction, contemporary fantasy and women's fiction. Her ongoing submissions wishlist includes but is not limited to high-concept YA, literary suspense, grunge era nostalgia and things that go bump in the night.

She used to run a blog, but it hasn't been updated in over a year. She's made a few appearances with WriteOnCon in 2011. Other than that, I can't find anything. She's pretty new as an agent.

inspiredbymusic

Registered
Reaction score
I know of her from WriteOnCon also. She is a new agent at Jane Rotrosen. If you look through this year's WriteOnCon archives, you can find the "Twitter Pitch" contest threads that she and Christina Hogrebe participated in, and I think it will give you insight into her tastes.

Debbie V

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Lydia and Inspiredbymusic. I'll check out the Twitter pitches.

Lilybiz

glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
petreaburchard.com
"up to 3 chapters" with query

Hi everyone,

I'm querying agents and I have to say, THE most valuable tool online is AW's forums. I read each agency thread in Bewares from start to finish and almost always find the answers to all my questions. So thank you!

Here's one I didn't find: when an agency requests "up to three chapters" with a query letter as Rotrosen does, what's the standard? Do you send the first three? Or the first, last, and one from the middle?

augusto

Registered
Reaction score
Website
willtinkham.blogspot.com
From their website:
When querying by mail or email: Agent’s email addresses are listed on our Agency Bio page. Please send us a query letter, a brief synopsis, and up to three chapters of your novel or the proposal for nonfiction. We will not open attachments accompanying a blank email.
Does this mean they want the 3 chapters as an attachment (provided the email isn't blank)?

Debbie V

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Augusto,

That's how I read it. I sent a cover letter in the e-mail with the pages attached.

Lilybiz

glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
petreaburchard.com
Just to be safe, I included my chapters in the body of the email. So many agents say they won't open attachments; I didn't want to take a chance.

Debbie V

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Debby V and Lilybiz! Maybe I'll wait for someone to come along and break the tie...

I just double checked, and I must have been confused by something else in the guidelines because I did neither. I sent the query letter alone. It was a post conference submission, so my guidelines may have come from there.

I also just noticed a typo in the letter. Hate that. Wonder how I missed it the first few times. Oh well. It hasn't been long enough to fret about it yet. (Under two months.)

Good luck with your decision.

-Debbie

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
Query to Christina

Has anyone queried or had any recent contact with this agency recently? I queried Christina today with my historical fiction. I will post back when I hear a response.
Bryan

Debbie V

Registered
Reaction score
Queried Carlie in December and was rejected in February. Sorry I forgot to update.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, pavtbr! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I've just started querying, and I've appreciated your information that you've posted on response times and such. :)

I queried Meg R a little over a month ago with my historical women's fiction and haven't heard back yet. Query tracker comments has two recent queries which were rejected in ten days and a little under a month respectively, if I remember correctly.

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks c.e. It's good to know that my experiences are helping out a little. Good luck to you as well. The right agent IS out there. It's just a matter of finding out who that is...

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. Sent my query on 5-26 and still haven't heard anything. Not sure if this is a 'no response means no' agency. Website says to be patient but does not mention either answering all queries, or NRMN, as policies. QT has a couple of email Rs after 10 days and a couple weeks. Since I sent that Q, I have realized 2 things:

1) Yahoo Mail might not be the best to get queries through (I've now changed to gmail)

2) My initial word count was high and probably scared agents away (this was the second Q I'd ever sent, so call me ignorant :) I have since shaved 4K off the MS.

Anyone have advice here? Continue to wait? Send to another agent in the agency? Nudge the initial agent? I do know she has been VERY busy making deals this summer. :)

Thanks,

c.e.