Newbie // Looking for Beta Readers? Look no further.

eyedrip

i write, therefore i am
Registered
Reaction score
Hello hello hello!

Glad I could join this continuously growing pool of tools and knowledge. I honestly think it's amazing!

I'm a writer based in Los Angeles, CA. Although I grew up writing screenplays, I published my first novel last year -- I wanted to make my stories 'reader friendly' as it's common knowledge no one enjoys reading a script in California. Books? Different story - ha! 'story'. There's something incredibly empowering about being able to compile all your efforts into this tiny rectangle, and then sending it out into the world, like a forever orbiting satellite, ready and accessible for your eyes, my eyes, everyone's eyes!

I published my 2nd book a few months ago, and just finished my third (currently undergoing rewrites and what not), so I have a bit of "free reading time" in my hands. That being said... any writers out there looking for beta readers, hit me up!

Some info regarding my own books and my reading interests:

My first two novels, "R³" (a sci-fi mind-bending thriller) and "GROUNDED: The Untold Story of Peter Pan & Captain Hook" (a dark fairytale exploring the beginnings of Peter and Hook's relationship) are both available on Amazon.com.

I'm a huge Haruki Murakami fan. Magical realism pikes my interest. Novels with a great use of prose (Donna Tart would be a good example; anyone read The Goldfinch? Loved the writing, didn't care for the story... sorry, I digress...). Occasionally some Chuck Palahniuk. David Sedaris. "House of Leaves". Sci-fi in general. Bret Easton Ellis. Dostoevsky. I never jumped on the Harry Potter or Narnia wagon, but I enjoyed reading the The Hunger Games trilogy. But I'm generally open to any compelling story that will catch my attention. If it's dark, even better!

With that in mind... show me what you've got!!!

Thanks in advance, and hope to be reading some of your work :)

***UPDATE: no longer looking for beta reads; got my hands full for the next couple of months. Thanks!

Jorge

Last edited:

Shrykespeare

Patron Saint of Self-Doubt
Registered
Reaction score
I am definitely going to need beta readers for my YA novel, which is nearing completion.

I'm not sure if it will be done before or after Thanksgiving, but when it is, the faster I can get feedback, the better.

Thank you so much for your offer! I look forward to chatting!

Please PM me your e-mail address when you get a chance.

eyedrip

i write, therefore i am
Registered
Reaction score
I am definitely going to need beta readers for my YA novel, which is nearing completion.

Would love to check it out! What's the current status? Finalized draft, #something draft, undergoing revisions, minor edits? Just to get an idea. Ideally I'd rather jump on something that's completed, but if you're novel is close to completion (for example, undergoing minor revisions), I'd be more than happy to read it.

Mainly because I know (from my own personal writing experience) that writers will be constantly adding or tweaking the text almost every day during rewrites, and I don't know how much help I'd be if by the time I'm done reading, the edits you've made are game-changers.

What's your current word count?

Please let me know!

Thanks!

Shrykespeare

Registered
Reaction score
I sent the manuscript separately to a professional freelance editor/proofreader as well as my SPC (self-publishing company). I have since received the report from the editor, and am expecting the report from the SPC next week (hopefully before the Thanksgiving break).

I am making revisions to characterization problems and plot issues based on the feedback from the editor. I hope to have that done by next weekend.

I don't know how much overlap to the editor's comments there will be with the SPC's report, but hopefully I won't have to make many more changes on top of the ones I'm already making.

You're right, I've tweaked the story almost every day, but once I get through with the final recommended revisions, I can guarantee there won't be any more after that. Any changes I might make will be minor, if that. The editor said that my story had "a lot of potential", so I don't want to mess with it too much.

The current word count is about 60,000 words, or about 260 pages on a Word document (double-spaced).

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

DCVermillion

DC Vermillion
Registered
Reaction score
Ahhh, cool, I'm new here myself. It seems to be a lively community here so far.

Welcome from another newbie in ohio

Shrykespeare

Registered
Reaction score
To anyone reading this:

Eyedrip recently beta-read my story. His insight was invaluable. Anyone out there who needs a beta-reader for their story, give him a buzz.

Thanks, Eye.

eyedrip

i write, therefore i am
Registered
Reaction score
To anyone reading this:

Eyedrip recently beta-read my story. His insight was invaluable. Anyone out there who needs a beta-reader for their story, give him a buzz.

Thanks, Eye.

Thank you!! Really appreciate the kind words. I'm glad I could help!

Lhowling

Mischief Witch
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome eyedrip! I'll check out your books! And I may have to contact you about my dark fantasy/fairy tale reimagining of Sleeping Beauty and pick your brain once I'm done with the draft and rewrites.