• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Wild Child Publishing / Freya's Bower

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I have four books out right now from WCP/Freya's

What WCP/FB has done marketing wise:

Arranged and paid for virtual book tours

Arranged and paid for review tours

Arranged blog hops and contests (The current one is my avatar)

Arranged and offered interviews and feature spots

Sent out release notices

Provided ARC copies, and other e-formats for advance reviews.

Featured my books in paid for advertising in e-zines,

Gotten my book on or in as many online sellers stores as fits the genre of the books, not just Amazon, B&N and Kobo.

Backed me up and took care of a download pirate site.

Put together a press kit for me. (and distributed it)

Featured my books on all the publisher's social media outlets.

As triceretops listed on his blog post, this is a good portion of the what the BIG guns would be doing for your book.

There have been a host of other small things they have done as well.

I have a good marketing plan, as posted earlier, Yes, it is promotion plan, but it is part of the overall marketing of the book, so I'll stick with calling it a marketing plan.
Wow that is amazing! I published with Freya's Bower in 2008 and actually as much as I love Samhain and as much as sales of my book have been a hundred times better with Samhain, Freya's Bower got me reviews by sending out ARCs before my little novella came out, which for some reason did not work with Samhain. I had no reviews except the ones I got myself for my Samhain book for whatever reason. Might be different between 2008 and 2012 though. I gather it's a lot harder to get reviews from known review sites now.
I must add I am not blaming Freya's Bower entirely for low sales of my little novella with them, because I realize now that there are certain historical periods romance readers expect romance and erotic romance to be set in, and if you set it in an unusual historical period many readers of historical romance and erotic romance will not consider it. My little novella is set during the Salem Witch Trials.
I think Freya's Bower has rigorous editing and a commitment to quality.

Last edited:

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
In my experience, Indie published authors and self published authors are the ones that are mostly supporting other Indie and Self published authors. Don't believe me, visit the Goodreads author forums. Its like a feeding frenzy.

Are you using the term "indie" to refer to anyone not published with the Big Five?

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Indie = Independent publisher, meaning they are registered as a publisher, which is different than a self published writer claiming they are Indie authors...

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Yes I agree with what you are saying regarding misuse of the term. But there are a number of very big and successful independent publishers out there, so I certainly don't believe all the authors with them are selling to each other.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Ah I see what you are saying. Well to a small extent I would say we are because those of us published with Samhain and Ellora's Cave etc.. do take an interest in each others books which increases sales. Probably Harlequin romance authors do the same promo to other Harlequin authors on social networking sites and get more sales from that.) But also there will be many non writer fans buying the books because they do trust the quality level of these publishers. Relating this back to smaller publishers like Wild Child you may be right that smaller publishers do rely to some extend on authors trying out other writers with the same publisher.
It's just plain easier to promo to people who write for the same small publisher, since these are automatic followers for a publisher on social networking.

Last edited:

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I think that with Romance, erotica, and such, these genres are an exception as the readership has been around for years and years and know where to go...

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Yes I don't know if other genres have such strong followers of actual publishers (the publishers themselves). Possibly horror readers have certain publishers they go to? And maybe some fantasy readers will go looking for TOR books?
Sorry I guess we are getting OT as Wild Child is a very general publisher although Freya's Bower has a small name in romance and erotica. Freya's Bower is possibly known for accepting slightly more literary romance and erotic romance/erotica but not I'm afraid well known.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Just to avoid confusion, I want to point out that the list at the top of this page is not mine, though it was credited to me. I just quoted it in my post and said that most of these items weren't taken care of when my book was with WCP. Thanks.

SRHowen

Erotica is not a four letter word!
Registered
Reaction score
Since this is in the bewares thread, and the beware was that the publisher expects a marketing plan, then it was said that they didn't go with the publisher because they would need to submit a marketing plan.

I disagree with several reasons pointed out for not doing marketing.

But, the fact that a publisher expects an author to market or promo, if that's your deciding factor on if you submit to that publisher, then that's your idea of what an author should or should not do. It doesn't make the publisher a bad publisher.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Since this is in the bewares thread, and the beware was that the publisher expects a marketing plan, then it was said that they didn't go with the publisher because they would need to submit a marketing plan.

But, the fact that a publisher expects an author to market or promo, if that's your deciding factor on if you submit to that publisher, then that's your idea of what an author should or should not do. It doesn't make the publisher a bad publisher.
If you don't mind and can remember please PM me just before this Blog Hop. I have severe ADHD and it's very hard for me to remember these things I'm afraid. (I have a book with FB.)

Last edited:

LindaJeanne

On a small world west of wonder
Registered
Reaction score

This is bewares, RECCOMENDATIONS, and back-ground checks. It's about giving authors enough information so that they can make their own decision. It's not about labeling anyone as a "bad" publisher.

The need for a marketing plan is a relevant data point. People will have different opinions about this; authors can read the opinions, and make up their own minds. Some will see it as a negative, some won't.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to add this:

I have four books out right now from WCP/Freya's

What WCP/FB has done marketing wise:
[list omitted]​
[T]his is a good portion of the what the BIG guns would be doing for your book.
Actually, the biggest thing we'd be doing is selling your book into brick-and-mortar bookstores and to libraries, and our promo would put more emphasis on getting reviews from major trade publications.

I don't say this to disparage other promotional activities or advertising. Those are good too.

Last edited:

SRHowen

Registered
Reaction score
I have one author who has gotten her print books into libraries in LA, I honestly hadn't thought of that as a marketing point. But, yes, the entire catalog of Wild Child and Freya's books are listed in the Overdrive catalog.

Hapi, I was listing promotional things, that compared to the list that was on the blog link about being a marketing chump.

SRHowen

Registered
Reaction score
If you don't mind and can remember please PM me just before this Blog Hop. I have severe ADHD and it's very hard for me to remember these things I'm afraid. (I have a book with FB.)

Did you sign up for the blog hop? If not, even though the deadline has passed, I think I can still get you in.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I have one author who has gotten her print books into libraries in LA, I honestly hadn't thought of that as a marketing point. But, yes, the entire catalog of Wild Child and Freya's books are listed in the Overdrive catalog.

Hapi, I was listing promotional things, that compared to the list that was on the blog link about being a marketing chump.
I don't know how libraries in other parts of the world work, but I've found I can suggest to my city's public library that they buy a POD book from any reputable digital first press and they generally buy it, I know they will buy ebooks too although I've never suggested any, but I've suggested a lot of print POD books from Samhain and actually I'll bet they'd buy FB books too. I hadn't thought about FB because I only have a 15,000 word book there so that will never be POD.

I think I signed up for the blog hop. Waking the Witch by Lisa Whitefern.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
They've closed to submissions for out of house authors until October next year. 0_0

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
[h=1]Wild Child Publishing / Freya's Bower are closing. [/h]

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Really? The author I know whose with them has been prepping all her books for self-publishing because they had announced they were closing.