• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Stuck, stuck, STUCK on figuring out a title

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataanii

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Hmmm, "No Good Deed..." "Cold Summers" (don't ask :)) "All Is Fair..." "Fallen Tears"

...ok I promise not to post again.

No, I like your choices, thank you :) ...especially No Good Deed, that sounds like a saucy Tyler Perry movie, lol :) However, I will say, I like the title "Remission" as others have pointed out, it gives a connection from the story to Cancer.

Nataanii

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
DanielaTorre - Why don't you just call it "The C Word". Nobody wants to say or talk about it like it's some... four letter word.

I thought about that, but there's already a television show named that - or there was on HBO....Didn't wanna replicate and be in legal trouble, lol

Another vote for Remission. It's simple but multi-layered, which is always good.

I DO like the name Remission, but the problem is all during her story, her cancer isn't in remission. That doesn't happen until the end of the story....BUT I thought about how about Cancer & Redemption....The cancer links the disease to the story and the redemption is - well that's obvious based on the previous description of the story given. ;)

If that doesn't work, I'll just title it "some damn story I can't even think of a title for." lol

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
I thought about that, but there's already a television show named that - or there was on HBO....Didn't wanna replicate and be in legal trouble, lol

The show you're talking about is called "The Big C". The other tv show you're thinking about is "The L Word."

I see no legal trouble there.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
> If that doesn't work, I'll just title it "some damn story I can't even
> think of a title for." lol

This. You can always call it "Untitled Yet" and move on. Chances are, your agent or the editor might come up with a different title anyway.

-cb

Nataanii

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Ok this is my last thought on this, what about "The Cure"? Because this woman is curing him of his guilt and grief over not being there for his sister, by giving hima chance to be there for her and he's curing her by being there for her during her stage 4 cancer, which ultimately helps her to beat cancer in the end. So, I don't know but what about The Cure?

GraemeTollins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tollins.blogspot.de
There's a short chapter in "Stein on Writing" that deals with titles. A lot of the great titles he talks about are metaphors or unusual word combinations.

Some examples are, The Blackboard Jungle, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, A Farewell to Arms, A Moveable Feast, The Catcher in the Rye, Tender is the Night, The Heart is Full of Empty Rooms, etc.

To me, all of these are original and catch the eye immediately. Maybe that's route you could go down. If nothing else, it could be a good exercise for finding original lines that you could use in the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.