Do You Think OCR Software Would Recognize This Handwriting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
The Best Place In The World...Absolute Write!!
086.jpg

Reaction score
The Best Place In The World...Absolute Write!!
I hope you're able to read even a little bit of these pictures I took with my camera to give me an idea of whether or not OCR software would recognize it. I've used OCR software before, but the first time I used it, I think I didn't recognize my handwriting because it was cursive. Thanks.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I've not used much OCR software, and certainly not the latest, but what I've used was for printed, as in typewritten or typeset text, not handwritten.

So, looking up The State Of The Art:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handwriting_recognition
Off-line recognition

Off-line handwriting recognition involves the automatic conversion of text in an image into letter codes which are usable within computer and text-processing applications. The data obtained by this form is regarded as a static representation of handwriting. Off-line handwriting recognition is comparatively difficult, as different people have different handwriting styles. And, as of today, OCR engines are primarily focused on machine printed text and ICR for hand "printed" text. There is no OCR/ICR engine that supports handwriting recognition as of today.
Looks like "not ready for prime time" to me. The handwriting is technically printed, but I see a lot of overlap between characters within a word, and I imagine that could cause all kinds of problems.

You might be better off reading the text aloud and using something like Dragon to convert your speech to text.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
No.

The interconnection of most letters with adjacent ones, and the overall circularity of most of them would baffle any OCR software, I fear. OCR software I have used has enough trouble recognizing standard-font text.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Just a reminder, Windows 7 comes with its own speech to text utility. It's at least as good as Dragon.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My experience with OCR is also not current, but I don't think it would. Hell, it sometimes struggles with typewritten text.

That said, any decent office support staffer with adequate keyboarding skills could do it, easy. The human eye and brain is pretty amazing at this sort of task.

When I was an administrative assistant, back at the dawn of time, they'd bring me work from other departments because I was good at decoding people's handwriting.

Maryn, who didn't even use a magic decoder ring

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Also if your using windows 7 with a tablet you can just write into word or another word processor. It recognizes my cursive pretty well before I trained it and it's mostly flawless once I trained it.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Just a reminder, Windows 7 comes with its own speech to text utility. It's at least as good as Dragon.

I have Windows 7 and Dragon. Dragon, at least the latest version, is infinitely better than the speech to text software that comes with Windows 7.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Nope. I use the OCR feature in PDF all the time for work, and it won't even read or convert text that is too small, a little faded, etc. That would come out to nothing by unreadable tex.

Status
Not open for further replies.