• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Harbor House Books

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Someone on the Shocklines thread said "Oh, those rights will presumably revert to you." NO! If a publisher you're working with ever goes out of business, it's vitally important to get a written release of rights from them. Don't presume or assume anything.

MLS859

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lynnirwinstewart.yuku.com
This is interesting news, since I'm in the same town and have heard no mention of this (not that I would have necessarily but I'd be surprised if it wasn't mentioned in the newspaper, etc.)

After I got the letter offering to publish my book as long as I would buy 700 copies, etc, I actually marched right up to Mr. Floyd at a school function (his son and my daughter are at the same school). I wasn't ugly -- because that's not my style and there was no cause for it -- but I did tell him I wasn't quite ready to give up on "regular" publishing. He didn't seem to take offense -- he remembered my story -- told me enough details that I knew he had read it -- or either had talked to someone about it extensively. He told me it was too long -- but I had suggested, in my "marketing ideas" that the book could be split into two parts -- and he told me that this would work well. He also told me that my novel had a lot of potential -- but, I'm not sure what that meant, considering.

ScottAJohnson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.americanhorrorwriter.net
Well, Knowing now what I know and having had my eyes opened, I feel lucky to have gotten what I got out of them. And they're closed now, and I'm looking for a new more reputable publisher.

ScottAJohnson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.americanhorrorwriter.net
I got a letter from his lawyer about a month ago telling me that 1) they're closing shop and 2) all my books' copyrights belong to me now. Glad of that. Randal (owner) is filing for bankruptcy, and is (according to him) getting out of the publishing business.