• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Dark Continents Publishing

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
From their Company page:
As Dark Continents Publishing is a cooperative effort by definition, new members will be asked to make an initial, minimal monetary contribution to the organization, as the six founding members have done before them. All member contributions are applied directly toward—and only toward—the operating costs of the organization. Under the not-for-profit, cooperative business structure, dividends will be paid out to each member during each quarter of the fiscal year. True to the cooperative spirit of the founding principles, group income generated from the combined sales of members’ books will first be applied toward covering business operating costs (printing, advertising, et al), and all group profit after expenses will be divided and distributed equally among members.
Co-op or not, it'll come down to sales. I do hope they have more resources for promotion and marketing than a publicity director whose claim to fame is being a finalist in the USA Best Books awards.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Got a spam marketing email this morning from Redheaded Stepchild Author Liaisons, which is run by Serenity J. Banks, co-founder of Dark Continents. It was sent to my editor's email address at C&C.

The site looks to me like Yet Another Writer With Shaky Credentials Trying to Make Money by Selling a Book About Writing/Selling Books.

I've never had any dealings with Serenity J. Banks or Dark Continents, so the email was completely unsolicited.

There was also this interesting sentence in the press release portion of the email:
Operating as Redheaded Stepchild Author Liaisons, Banks provides media and marketing services for self-published authors.

If Redheaded Stepchild's idea of media and marketing services is to spam small zine editors, well, i don't think they'll be getting very far.

Last edited:

TamMac

Potato-eater.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tamthewriter.blogspot.ca
I'm looking for information about these guys too. Has anyone worked with them before? Gilroy, did you ever submit your story? Anyone have anything to say about how they are to work with, pay rates, finished product and whatnot?