Small-mag editors get job done

larrypotter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markaiken.com
As I do every spring when my life calms down (I work at a ski resort all winter), I re-double my query-letter-writing efforts. I refer to an idea list and I pitch ideas to all sorts of publications -- big and small.

And I am struck today at how nice it is to get a quick response. I love magazines where one person can simply make a decision. Because I am not necessarily looking for an acceptance; I just want a "yes" or a "no" -- you know?

I was wondering if some of you who have worked for large publications have some insight as to the process a pitch must go through before an editor tells a writer "yes" or "no." Specifically, say a features editor (or whatever appropriate editor I pitch) opens his/her email and reads my pitch. Does the editor then take the idea to a meeting and pitch it to a group? Does s/he have to pass it by an editor-in-chief? I know some editors lose pitches (even good ones) in their inboxes, but let's assume they hang on to my idea. Through what sort of process must the idea go?

Thanks, Mark