Advice please...

Charlee

Sometimes I have no Y
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote an article for a friend's web site, it has been on the site for a while with my byline which is all good. Then my friend aaked if the local magazine could use the article and I agreed even though there was no payment I was keen for my article to be in print not just online. The magazine is out now and my article is there, they have moved the last paragraph nearer the middle but no other editing and they have used my photographs too which is fine but no byline at all :(

Is it my own fault to expect it? Should I have insisted I was credited when originally asked? And also even though my name isn't on it can I still use it as a clip?

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
You can contact the magazine and let them know that you would like your byline printed as a correction, which they may or may not do. And you can certainly use it as a clip.

RobinF

Writing, speaking, more writing
Registered
Reaction score
Should I have insisted I was credited when originally asked?
Yes. If you have this kind of opportunity again, speak with someone from the publication so that you can discuss the details.

And also even though my name isn't on it can I still use it as a clip?
It's something until you have more clips. It's more useful if you use WildScribe's advice and ask for a correction showing your byline. Congrats on being published!

Bill Ward

billwardwriter.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.billwardwriter.com
You should always insist on credit -- in fact I'd be dubious of any publication that would publish someone's work with no compensation and not even have the decency to give a byline.

Charlee

Sometimes I have no Y
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I just assumed I would get a byline that's why I didn't actually ask for one. I've sent the editor an email and waiting for reply now.

Does it look a bit amateur-ish to ask for a byline? Or does this happen often if you don't make it clear you want your name on it?

Last edited:

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I just assumed I would get a byline that's why I didn't actually ask for one. I've sent the editor an email and waiting for reply now.

Does it look a bit amature-ish to ask for a byline? Or does this happen often if you don't make it clear you want your name on it?

It's sort of amateur-ish not to. You should always be clear what rights you are selling (or in this case giving away) and what you will get in return, and although I don't ever write for free, if I did I would be very clear that I expected a byline at least.

misha_mcg

Registered
Reaction score
Website
misha-mcg.livejournal.com
It's extremely unprofessional for them to take your work, not offer you compensation, neglect to print a byline AND not even discuss any of this with you. They should have contacted the writer directly in order to use your work. I'm dubious of this publication.

Charlee

Sometimes I have no Y
Registered
Reaction score
It's a small local magazine so I wasn't surprised not to get paid but I expected a byline that's why I didn't actually ask for one. The article is attributed to me on the website so I assumed it would be the same in the magazine.