Not open for further replies.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
The college experience varies so much depending on where and what you study. I studied engineering at a commuter college, so my experience was nothing like the stereotypical "college experience" that people seem to hype so much.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Time management is a skill you need to develop as early as possible because you need it through all life's phases. The biggest component of time management is prioritizing. When you have babies, deciding on number 1 is easy: the baby. In college, number one is typically classes and schoolwork. Don't forget: you're (or someone is) paying for your education now. After you decide on your order of priorities, you can allot the required amount of time (daily or weekly, whatever works) to each. It's a bit like budgeting money: when, how and where to spend it. When you break it down, you'll realize you have more time than you think you do. Also, be efficient with what you enjoy least so you can get to the good stuff.

You can write while in college, you just have a fudge the numbers a little.

jessicaorr

Book fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah... I was a biochemistry/molecular genetics double major and there was never time to write. Eventually, I realized, despite my talent for science, I hated it. After a little soul searching, I withdrew from college and started writing.

Oh, and no, I'm not throwing away three intense years of biochem/gen studies. I'm going back next fall to finish up--and then, well, who knows.

Creepy... that's exactly my situation. Except I didn't hate science per say, I just like writing more. Going back next fall to finish as well :D

Anyway, as other have said, don't start huge projects you can't finish. You'll only feel guilty. If you have to work on something big, do it bit by bit. Another tip- keep your ideas in a file and come back to them when you have time.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
I've just hit college. It's an awesome experience (I'd highly recommend it) but time seems to be fully against me now. There's so much to balance: friendships, hanging out with people and having fun, schoolwork, staying in touch with family, more schoolwork... And then there's writing, which doesn't seem to fit in anywhere.

So I'm seeking advice from wise sages/college graduees (is that a word?).

How did does one balance college life and the all-present desire to WRITE? (and don't say drop it... cause I can't)

Coffee and alcohol.

Especially when you get to those upper tier writing courses.

If anyone asks...I didn't tell you that.

Status
Not open for further replies.