Merging events-yes or no?

comradebunny

"It *is* the rabbitt!"
Registered
Reaction score
I've found two different speeches that happened during the first two days Sitting Bull returned to the U.S. after his stay in Canada. The first took place the day Sitting Bull and his men entered Fort Buford to surrender. The second is a speech he gave during his formal surrender to Major Brotherton which happened the following day.

Here's the issue. I'd like to merge the two days because it would be dramatic and easier for the audience to follow (it's a play). I'd like to have Sitting Bull enter and deliver the first speech (which was on the first day) and then motion to his men to place their firearms in front of the soldiers (again this happened on the first day). Sitting Bull retains his rifle. Then, he turns and hands his rifle to his son, Crowfoot (this happened on the second day). Crowfoot surrenders the rifle and then Sitting Bull delivers the second speech.

Is it wrong to merge these events?

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
If you want the play to have the essence of the event/s but you want to enrich the speech for dramatic effect I can see nothing wrong with it. Look at Brave Heart. If they had stuck to the facts it would have been a pretty dull documentary.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say yes, it's wrong. But, if the intent is to perform a play to increase the knowledge and understanding of the general public (who know little), then you can probably get away with it. And if someone takes a high interest in the play and looks up what happened, they'll find out you merged the two days (and then go on to learn more about Sitting Bull). The way you described what you want to do sounds like it will work for John Q. Public. Puma

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would merge it, but with a note on the program and in the script stating that the two events were merged for dramatic effect.

comradebunny

"It *is* the rabbitt!"
Registered
Reaction score
Could you briefly lower the lights to indicate the passing of a day?

I think that might not work in this situation. Since the events are so closely linked and nothing else really happens between it may confuse the audience. I already have to include an insert in the program that my main character is a mixture of many different people, yet he did not really exist so I can easily include the fact that I merged these days. Also, I really hope this makes peole want to go out and find out more about Sitting Bull. He's fascinating.

Last edited:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just remembered that Fort Raliegh (the Lost Colony of Roanoke) in North Carolina also does a play depicting historical events. Don't know if the script is on-line, but you might see if there's any guidance available for you there. I know their play has been running for many years now, exactly as you're talking about for yours.

Personally, I think you should merge them since you can make it dramatic and interesting and capture the spirit of what happened. A note in some type of program would suffice and might just inspire people to do some reading on their own.

Good luck to you.

comradebunny

"It *is* the rabbitt!"
Registered
Reaction score
Just remembered that Fort Raliegh (the Lost Colony of Roanoke) in North Carolina also does a play depicting historical events. Don't know if the script is on-line, but you might see if there's any guidance available for you there. I know their play has been running for many years now, exactly as you're talking about for yours.

Good luck to you.

Yep, that't the idea. I've been getting feedback that members of the community are excited about it.