Question about word count

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
When I wrote my novel I used Arial and then switched to Times Roman. Microsoft Word puts my word count at 82,500. But, when I switched to Courier New and did the 250 words/page and the MS is now over 400 pages, my new word count is 108, 750. If this latter number is the correct number then I have to chop some chapters, which honestly would be easy to do. But I really thought the MS was about 88,000 words. What number is the right one?

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I wrote my novel I used Arial and then switched to Times Roman. Microsoft Word puts my word count at 82,500. But, when I switched to Courier New and did the 250 words/page and the MS is now over 400 pages, my new word count is 108, 750. If this latter number is the correct number then I have to chop some chapters, which honestly would be easy to do. But I really thought the MS was about 88,000 words. What number is the right one?

Do not use the 250 words/page formula.

Use the microsoft word wordcount. That's what pretty much every agent and many editors rely on these days.

~suki

Last edited:

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Do not use the 250 words/page formula.

Use the microsofte word wordcount - for words, not characters. That's what pretty much every agent and many editors rely on these days.

~suki
Okay how do I determine if my MS Word program is calculating by words or characters?

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay how do I determine if my MS Word program is calculating by words or characters?

When you go to Tools > Wordcount> and it brings up that little box of info, one of the items is word count, but a couple others are characters...I've seen people use the number of characters rather than words. But it's clearly labeled.

Just use the "words" count. Sorry if I confused you.

~suki

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
When you go to Tools > Wordcount> and it brings up that little box of info, one of the items is word count, but a couple others are characters...I've seen people use the number of characters rather than words. But it's clearly labeled.

Just use the "words" count. Sorry if I confused you.

~suki

You didn't confuse me. I'm just slow. Thanks for the help. THe novel is 82, 000 and I won't be chopping anything more.