Netbook keeps rebooting

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Toshiba NB205 or w/e, windows 97 OS. Turned it on a minute ago, it booted up fine, suddenly rebooted before I touched a single thing. I think both my SD card and USB drive were in.

Um, odd. It loaded by itself, so I went about my business, praying it didn't flake on me, 10 minutes later it did. Kept telling me I had an SD card in (drive F, atm) which I did, but I pulled the pictures off it and was done with that. It kept asking (twice) if I wanted to open files to view things (after initial time).

I also had a USB drive in, and was saving files on and off of that, including directly of Microsofts photoeditor.

Going to back up holiday photos right now. Someone please help before the darn thing dies and I've lugged 3.5lbs to Europe for naught and no longer can d/l photos off the one camera until I get home. :\

Deleted member 42

It sounds like maybe the card wasn't seated properly, or the OS thinks something is still in use that isn't?

I'd remove anything you can in terms of devices that it doesn't need to boot, and re-boot.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can do.

And that's possible, as I've placed the SD card in there before and the computer failed to read it, and not for want of processing speed or ram (seemingly)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I forgot to mention I got the blue screen of death very briefly, which got my hackles up, letmetellyou :eek:

Deleted member 42

Gah.

You know how to safe book and run a utility check?

ETA: If it is a device-not-being-released properly by an application or the OS, that could mess things up enough to give you the blue screen as a sort of hiccough.

So don't panic, but yeah, backing up is good.

Xvee

I Need Monkeys
Registered
Reaction score
Windows 97 may require driver downloads for your usb devices to work proper. Try google to see if you can get drivers for them.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gah.

You know how to safe book and run a utility check?

ETA: If it is a device-not-being-released properly by an application or the OS, that could mess things up enough to give you the blue screen as a sort of hiccough.

So don't panic, but yeah, backing up is good.

Safe boot yeah (well, I'll figure it out as I go, heh). Utility check, not really. Is it with system information and the ilk on the start menu? (I can always google it when I get back). I should prolly be running my malware and figuring out how to update AVG w/o a direct connection to the internet too just to be sure.

It worked okay last night while I foolishly read my ebook.

Windows 97 may require driver downloads for your usb devices to work proper. Try google to see if you can get drivers for them.

Yeah, damn Toshiba did one thing wrong on this machine and that's drivers. It just got an update when some malware took out the ...bios? and I had to take it in. I'm good at breaking things *scratches head*

Windows 97 ???WTF??? Is 98? Is Windows 95 OSR2? Or...whatever, with Office 97?

Um, sure. All these stupid numbers. I have Office 97 for certain, and the modern windows that isn't Vista or 7 :)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah, XP. That's the bugger.

<<

>>

<<

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
lol It does help to know.

Sounds like you need solider protection. Do you have any kind of firewall?. Meanwhile, I was getting AVG for an offline computer yesterday, so I have that sort of thing fresh in mind and links.
http://techdows.com/2009/01/how-to-download-avg-virus-definitions.html

The real fun is when you have to dl the main program from the Czech site. :eek: It's not even my 99th language.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, good, I shall get those definitions as soon as I get the usb on Computer 2 to work.

Yes, the USB drive stopped working. Suddenly.

Perhaps a virus on the jump drive??? All those dirty computers I was linking in vet school...

Okay, so current situation:

Computer 1: Reads jump drive. Read SD card after a few 'jiggles'. No blue screen of death. Ran some checkdisk and some AVG and somethingsomething Care (Windows One Care???) to look at the registry and whatnots. All great, right? Well the damn thing suddenly wouldn't connect to my big camera's memory card (via usb) no matter how I plug it in, even after a reboot. Was working fine yesterday. Damn.

Oh, and I ran a malware program and it found my windows updates were off. So that's fixed. Except the part where one needs internet to get updates.

Computer 2: Running XP, completely in Czech. I don't know any Czech. So my grandmother had to translate to Polish and try to explain it to me. She doesn't even know the word hardware. Are you laughing yet? I'm getting ahead of myself.

Okay, so mouse suddenly stopped working. If I plug it in and jig it up, the mouse flashes me (not as exciting as it could be), and I get an error message. The message says: Hardware, something something USB broken. Windows can not recognize (spelling dire, sorry). Something something, click here to fix. Well that opens a window and the subheading above the one that says Something Port is in bold. Well darned if I see anything that looks like a solution there.

Now, if you aren't on your sides rolling on the floor, I definitely need help here. The jump drive wont read at all and I'm at my wits end.

Computer 1 has 3 usb drives and Computer 2 (Dell Latitude) has 1. (No, seriously. 1)

Computer 2 is also about to get AVG, antimalware and whatever else you folks prescribe. Hopefully someone can help me by the time I'm done playing with all that.

This needs to be filed somewhere under 'How I spent my summer vacation' x.x

*sigh*

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i had a similar issue but it was the fan. the computer wouldn't stay on if the fan wasn't working...

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
My first thought...is your computer getting really hot before rebooting? If so it's a fan. Turn off your computer and replace the fan before the system frys itself.

Second...if you have to "jiggle" the usb or SD to get it to work, then the port is either broken or the stick is or both. Sounds like the port though.

Windows Update is off on netbooks because many netbooks cannot handle windows updates. You may have to do those manually. To find out Google your computer and windows updates see if it causes problems.

To reiterate: If you have to jiggle anything on a computer it's broken...You are going to have to replace those ports.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the fan seems unlikely b/c it wasn't hot when it flaked and it is hot now and doing fine (Yep, computer 1 has interwebs)

The SD port could certainly be messed up, but both computers have been funky with their USB drives. It's conceivable that no one has touched the USB port on Computer 2 until I came (just the mouse remained plugged in) and I thus sent it to its doom, but I dunno.

Also, after doing scans on computer 1 and rebooting, it now reads the camera. In fact, it's doing everything it is supposed to.

So why is computer 2 still being dumb? I ran AVG (found firefox plugin virus or somesuch) and Malwarebytes (nothing) and still it just sits there. :Shrug:

Also, it's downloading some updates from microsoft. I'm praying for a magic fix in the morning??? Grr.