Prodding an agent on a nonfiction proposal

Maxie16

Registered
Reaction score
Here's one I haven't been able to find an archived answer for (although I assume there is one): I queried an agent about my nonfiction project two weeks ago, and he got back to me within the hour to ask for the full proposal. I told him I'd give him an exclusive look at it for a couple of weeks but that, if it were going to be any longer for me to hear from him, I'd want to send out simultaneous queries.

It's a lengthy proposal -- the detailed outline and market analysis plus the first two chapters -- so I understand he might not have had time to look at it all, but he never even confirmed receipt. Now I'm not sure what to do next. Should I prod him or wait? (And if wait, how long?) Or should I query someone else and carry through, without notifying the first agent, that I've done what I said I would do?

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Did he request the exclusive?

I don't see why you wouldn't query. The two weeks (did you give a specific date?) is up. Query away!

Don't prod at this early stage. It can take months for an agent to get back to you. Give him time, keep querying other agents.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Agreed. If you gave him/her an exclusive and the time is up, send it out again. After another month or so, you can send a polite letter/email to the first agent, thanking them for their review and wishing them well. They're under no obligation to respond to a query. Always keep that in mind.

But sometimes a polite thank you in this business will wake someone up to the fact that they HAVEN'T responded. Politeness breeds politeness. :)

Maxie16

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you. Just asking the question as I did helped me clarify what made sense, but it's reassuring to hear you say the same thing. I've decided just to send the query to someone else and wait on the first.