'08 Obama Voters

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
No, he hasn't lost my vote.

I would have been open to considering a challenger, though.

Would have. Had the Republicans not run a bunch of bigots and morons.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
4 years ago I was pretty terrified. My husband and I were actually talking about buying guns because we were half-convinced that the country was going to completely implode. Markets were crashing, faith in our leadership was a joke, and the world economy was in a death spiral.

Today, unemployment has stabilized and is continuing to fall, the economy is limping along (as opposed to free-fall, which was where it was when he TOOK office), and I don't feel afraid every day. I kind of see that as progress...

I was prepared to vote for him based on that emotional basis alone, but the more crazy the Republicans get, the more involved I seem to be getting in educating myself, and I have not been surprised to find that the facts support my emotional judgement.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nope, hasn't lost me. His presidency has been pretty much what I expected--even down to everyone wanting everything to be fixed faster than it failed. My biggest disappointment was being right about how it all washed out.

But I will be voting for him for the same reason that I voted for him in the first place: The Republicans scare the living shit out of me and I don't want them to have the power bases--not even the ones they already have.

Honestly, I'm not paying attention to the presidential race anymore. It's the Congressional races I'm paying attention to. They're the ones who are trying to enact laws that will make life more hellish than the economy already has.

Kevans

Fish from another stream
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't vote for him last time, won't vote for him this time. And I work for the______, and am a union member.

Regards,
Kevin

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
How do you know he didn't?

Although I voted for Obama, I wasn't impressed with his political savvy at first. He badly underestimated his political opposition and relied too much on the idealistic idea of good will.

I think he's learned a lot, and I actually support him now more strongly than I did in 2008.

I really agree with this. Underestimated or overestimated, whichever way you look at it. He probably figured he'd have to compromise to get anything done. A rational man in a rational environment might think just that. I don't think he knew what he was up against. Can we expect him to stand his ground on the tough issues in his second term, if he gets one? I'll be voting straight democrat this year. The best we can do is to try and give him the horses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_elections,_2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_of_Representatives_elections,_2012

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I would have been open to considering a challenger, but as it is, I'll almost certainly vote for him again.

He's done things I like and things I'm not crazy about. But I'll take him over the Republicans. I don't think these past four years have made me cynical of Obama as much as the political process in the U.S. as a whole. I don't know if it's possible for a president to effect the sort of change in today's world that people were hoping Obama would effect.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I would have been open to considering a challenger, but as it is, I'll almost certainly vote for him again.

He's done things I like and things I'm not crazy about. But I'll take him over the Republicans. I don't think these past four years have made me cynical of Obama as much as the political process in the U.S. as a whole. I don't know if it's possible for a president to effect the sort of change in today's world that people were hoping Obama would effect.

It does look bleak. The system is broken- rather diseased. Business, government and media, most on point the News Media are nearly one. Capitalism made us big and fat and strong and at one time safe, but corrupt Capitalism is killing us and making us less safe. Publicly funded elections might be a start.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Curious if this is because you see the country going in the right direction, or you just cannot abide Mitt.

Honestly, a little of both.

I think Obama has done a lot more than some are willing to admit. I don't think he had it easy. First he took his oath at a time when NO one could win. You can't turn over an entire country in 4 years. Second, he fought Congress all the way. He tried to balance both reds and blues and still keep his word to the nation. It's not easy to do, and I think he did the best he could.

I've also read his books, and I was impressed with them for many reasons.

I also can't stand Romney or the direction the Republicans have gone. I used to be more red than blue...now I'm more blue.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
If you don't mind, I'll crash the party since I didn't vote for him on 08 and won't in 12. If you do mind, stop reading. :tongue

Besides not agreeing with him on most issues, I don't think he's a good leader - of the government or the people. I don't see a grand vision in him that will inspire people to be better, do better, try harder, and improve society.

People are doing all those things - or trying to - but not because of the President.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, a little of both.

I think Obama has done a lot more than some are willing to admit. I don't think he had it easy. First he took his oath at a time when NO one could win. You can't turn over an entire country in 4 years. Second, he fought Congress all the way. He tried to balance both reds and blues and still keep his word to the nation. It's not easy to do, and I think he did the best he could.

I've also read his books, and I was impressed with them for many reasons.

I also can't stand Romney or the direction the Republicans have gone. I used to be more red than blue...now I'm more blue.

Thanks, yeah, I don't fault him all THAT much. I agree with your assessment of what he was up against. I just wanted him to stand his ground more than he did- Maybe I don't have as much faith in human nature as he does.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
If you don't mind, I'll crash the party since I didn't vote for him on 08 and won't in 12. If you do mind, stop reading. :tongue

Besides not agreeing with him on most issues, I don't think he's a good leader - of the government or the people. I don't see a grand vision in him that will inspire people to be better, do better, try harder, and improve society.

People are doing all those things - or trying to - but not because of the President.

Don't mind at all- welcome. But your post does beg the question, what is Romney's grand vision, if he will get your vote? You one of those 3rd party voters? I have been in the past, so I won't hold it against you.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm lost? Oh, man, not again!

:D

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
I forget where I heard this (CRS):

"Bin Laden's dead. General Motors is alive."

I'll vote for him again. Twice if they'll let me. Vote early, vote often.