• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Varsity Prints, LLC

Deep Woods Writer

Registered
Reaction score
Deep in the Maine woods. Even a GPS has trouble fi
I'm up here in the boonies of Maine. I am getting a regular inquiry from 'press' firm called Varsity Press. Anyone have any history or expierence with them you'd like to share ? Somehow the old adage 'Too good tobe true' in terms of timing is a nagging little bell ringing.

Thanks,

DWW

Deep Woods Writer

Registered
Reaction score
Varsity link ?

Not a chance I am going to open up my system to them. But the inquiries keep on coming. Lots of e-mail requests for submission (the whole document, not just the 1st 3 chapters for evaluation), lots of promotionals and 'perk's' when 'accepted for development' and the like. Again the 'look's too good to be true' syndrome seems more than a little appilcable.

DWW

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
Wonder if they're related to WLA, and that mess? Maybe another name for them to use to canvass for writers to swindle...
What url are they sending you emails from?

Last edited:

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Commercial publishers do not solicit manuscripts from strangers.

Commercial publishers do not offer an author "perks" for signing with them.

Can you share the content of these emails, Deep Woods Writer, or provide a link to the publisher's website? It sounds that this is a vanity outfit.

MM

Deep Woods Writer

Registered
Reaction score
Varsity link location

Got the link via a 'header' on my g-mail account as well as an undecipherable link address in a seperate e-mail. Last time I tried I wound up in some website in India showing Urdu. If anyone can find a link that's actually readable, please, feel free to share it.

From my viewpoint, Varsity is a vanity press up there with PA until someone proves me wrong or shows me proof of an actual publishing house existing beyond the 'hype'. Please, anyone, feel free to prove me wrong.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
We can't help unless you give us some clue which of the several "Varsity Press"es you're talking about.

MickRooney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theindependentpublishingmagazine.com
Deep Woods Writer,

Could it be this one?
http://www.ivpress.com/

As Momento Mori suggests, you really are going to have to give us more to go on, like the email address they contacted you with; is there a business logo in the email? Are there external links from the email? How do they ask you to reply/contact them?

Last edited:

MickRooney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theindependentpublishingmagazine.com
Got the link via a 'header' on my g-mail account as well as an undecipherable link address in a seperate e-mail. Last time I tried I wound up in some website in India showing Urdu. If anyone can find a link that's actually readable, please, feel free to share it.

From my viewpoint, Varsity is a vanity press up there with PA until someone proves me wrong or shows me proof of an actual publishing house existing beyond the 'hype'. Please, anyone, feel free to prove me wrong.

Can you copy and paste the link here from your gmail header?

Beyond that, we really can't help you without knowing which company you are referring to.:Shrug:

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir

Correct me if I am wrong, but so far all you have is some spam mail coming from a publisher (that may or may not exist) named Varsity Press that leads you to some site in India.

If this is correct, then the only thing you have here is a warning to writers to be aware of spam mail coming from a company that may or may not exist named Varsity Press that leads to some site in India.

~brianm~

~brianm~

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I think you're probably looking for this place. They advertise on craigslist under "writing gigs."

http://varsityprints.com/Home_Page.html

Here's a sample of their current ad on craigslist:

Varsity Prints is looking to publish fiction and non-fiction works of interest to young adults of all backgrounds, sexual orientations and ethnicities.

We are currently looking for high-quality, short to novel-length fiction that meets our current needs and requirements. If you are interested in publishing your work, please visit our For Authors page for more information.

Last edited:

Deep Woods Writer

Registered
Reaction score
Varsity Prints

JunieKat, thanks. You found the link. And for everyones benefit, please, read their SPECIMEN CONTRACT. Very informative and a great guide to seeing how badly you can get screwed if you don't read-and-heed. If there was ever a reason for lawyers to exist, this contract is it.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
From Google cache:
As of March 31, 2011, Varsity Prints will be going out of business. All of the affected authors have been notified via postal mail. If you have any questions, please email [email protected].