Software from Craigslist?

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
I need a copy of MS Office for Mac 2011. It goes for 60 or so on EBAY, but my local Craigslist has people selling it for 30. I am wondering what to look out for. Here's a couple of the ads:
I have several programs for creatives available from corporate volume licenses. Some of the Programs:

....MS Office 2011 for Mac. Free installation is included with Microsoft Office software on one (1) computer.
Another is
I have Microsoft office for macs ONLY. Newest edition. Don't waste your money buying it at the store. Ill sell mine for only $35!!
What do I need to look out for here? Original packaging? Should I take my laptop and make sure it loads?

Thanks for the advice!
Prawn

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Original packaging, official disks and license key usually on a card with a seal or a booklet. You should be able to open the packaging and install it right there. Make sure you have an internet connection so it verifies.

I have several programs for creatives available from corporate volume licenses.

Also this is NOT kosher. The person is using a license paid for by his/her company and giving it to you. You will not get official disks for this, probably a copy.

Frankly, go buy a legit copy. If you can't afford it right now, download Libra Office and use that until you can or you find it on sale.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
What they said. Also, unless you absolutely need 100% MS Office compatibility, LibreOffice or iWork's Pages work just fine.

Deleted member 42

Aside from the ethics and the absence of legality regarding buying even "used" software when the original licensee no longer has the software installed--(many licenses actually prohibit resale even if you uninstall)--Since about 2004 Microsoft programs phone home, over any open network connection, and can be bricked.

Buy legal, or use an alternative.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"...can be bricked" means?

Maryn, old dog, new tricks

Chris1981

Just Another Transman
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn, "bricked" in the sense of computers and electronics and such just means "made inoperable."

For example: years ago, one of my brothers bought a desktop PC from a guy at his workplace. When my brother connected it to the Internet here at home, Microsoft's verification software fired up to see if the copy of Windows on the hard drive was legit or not.

It wasn't, so my brother couldn't get into Windows. Microsoft "bricked" it, so the PC started to boot into Windows, but stopped and displayed an error message about the OS being an illegal copy. He had to either install a legit copy or find a different operating system to use. Either way, he wasn't getting into the copy the coworker had illegally installed on multiple computers.

P.S. My brother had no idea the guy had installed Windows on multiple computers like that. If he'd even suspected this, he would have either not bought the computer or made the guy knock a good bit of money off the asking price, as my brother would have had to go buy Windows for himself.

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Like the others said, go legit.

You can get a rebate from Microsoft if you download the application (i.e. by buying just an activation key) rather than buy a CD box from a retailer. The price difference is quite attractive for Office.

-cb

Deleted member 42

"...can be bricked" means?

Maryn, old dog, new tricks

It refers to rendering a device like a phone inoperable by sending instructions to the firmware chips inside the device to shut down. This is done by companies who make the device in cases of illegal use or use they find violates the license. This happens to Kndles, and pretty much every kind of cell phone ever made.

In the case of software, a publisher can activate code embedded in the application that tells the application not to run.

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. This software is relatively cheap on ebay, even new and shrinkwrapped. I'd hate to buy something some guy downloaded from a torrent with who knows what stuck inside.

Prawn

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Shrink wrapped doesn't necessarily mean new or legal. Shrink wrapping is easy to do, and a lot of people make very good money by shrink wrapping old, used, or even nonexistent software, and selling it as new. Never mind shrink wrapped software that was shoplifted. If it sounds too good to be true. . .

Now, if ethics don't get in your way, the cheapest way to buy MS Office is to have a college student buy it for you. Most universities sell it to students for under thirty-five bucks.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now, if ethics don't get in your way. . . .

Those damned ethics! They haven't made me any less snarky nor put a stop to girl-watching while claiming it's "people" watching for character research, but it has kept me poor and pretty much welcome on campuses.