The National Trust

ReallyRong

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum for this, so will trust to the mods. The National Trust is a charitable institute in the UK that keeps alive historically important sites that might otherwise die. Me and my better half set off this weekend to Chartwell in Kent, to Winston Churchill's country home and I have to say it was quite a mesmerising experience. I got a real sense of the man and his atttachment to the place, what with the long brick wall that he built during his idle years, the grounds that he walked, memorabilia and photos of him with FDR and Stalin and the hundreds of paintings that he did. I was personally never a great fan of his, particularly in his early years with the Gallipoli campaign and the Irish Rebellion, but came out feeling a bit more warmly towards him. We were then going to visit Batemans, which was Rudyard Kipling's home, but didn't have time so went straight to Brighton to spend the night. On the way home today we visited the Petworth estate in Surrey, which is the jewel in the crown of the NT and a veritable art gallery. I'm a great fan of Turner, but eventually I got to the point of saying "If I see another Turner I'm gonna ....". Anyhow, for any USAers out there planning on visiting the good old UK, it might be worth looking at the National Trust annual membership. I'd give you the price, but they keep changing.