Registered
Reaction score
must be a Canadian thing?

By the way SOUTH PARK IS AWESOME!!!

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
No, lol, I was TAUGHT in Quebec. I'm not stupid.

Well, maybe it's a Canadian thing. Also, Taylor and I are way younger, so maybe lessons changed. But all I know was that it was emphasized that Oceania was the continent.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't say you were stupid, just didn't know what you meant.

Might be a Canadian thing... I helped little kids with homework only two years ago and nothing changed with the continents with them.

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. With this movie, it's hard to know where you are in the book. Well, I did finish the book today and I can't even remember the ending very well. :/

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
FOUND IT ON ONE SITE!

I'm just very confused because Oceania is an ocean, and a continent is a land mass, so to name one of the land masses after an ocean just seems backwards in my opinion.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. With this movie, it's hard to know where you are in the book. Well, I did finish the book today and I can't even remember the ending very well. :/

Still watching Lord of the Rings?

I could never make it through the books, although I love the movies. I tried but after 150pages and they still haven't left the shire I'm like SERIOUSLY!!!!????

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
I know. I breezed through the last hundred pages of The Two Towers in an hour. I skipped every long paragraph with their little descriptions... Maybe that 's why I can't remember anything.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
No, I'm in between you two in age and I was taught Australia is a continent.

It must just be a Canadian thing.

ETA: Whatever. It doesn't really matter. :)

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I just HATED the long description. It really made me wonder how those books became so popular, yeah plot and characters were great but the description killed me.

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
The movies do really pay off for reading the whole thing.

I'm just wondering if I should watch the next movie before reading the next book. I know they have different endings, but I had watched the first forty five minutes or so of The Fellowship of the Ring before starting the book, and it made it easier to read...

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I've watched all the movies, extended cut and all a million times already, so maybe i should try to read them again.

I know Will got through some, by skipping large chunks of detail. Maybe I should try that. I do it with other books. Personally I'm not really a big fan of "showing". I'm a person who just likes to be Told what i need to know and then get on to the good parts.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
OR maybe Australia being a continent is just an American thing!

Seriously though, don't say "just a Canadian thing". I know it isn't intended, but it comes off as incredibly rude.

goddessofthehunt

Queen of inane tangents.
Registered
Reaction score
There are different names for the continent on which Australia lies. Most people just call it Australia, some call it Australasia (to include some parts of southeast Asia) and others call it Oceania to include all the little islands that don't really belong anywhere.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Australian friend!

I am still on my blackberry at this restaurant, I'm ready to go home and take this freakin' bumpit out of my heeeeaaaaad.

I may start wearing it in life though. Bringing in back in styyyyyyle.

CharacterInWhite

Kind of a big deal
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Australian friend!

I am still on my blackberry at this restaurant, I'm ready to go home and take this freakin' bumpit out of my heeeeaaaaad.

I may start wearing it in life though. Bringing in back in styyyyyyle.

I thought big hair was a travesty that we've learned from.

This feels like a step backwards.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Nooooo, only on men.

This hairdo I have now is like the hottest thing ever.

I may look a bit like a poodle but DAMN if I'm not a hot one.

And anyway, the rest of my hair is in loose curls. And the bouffant isn't huge.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
It probably is just an American thing. Just like were the only ones too damn stubborn to change to the metric system. Which if you think about it doesn't make any sense. Because the metric system is easy and with a country who tires to make everything easier, you would think they would change. But this is off topic.

Its not meant to be rude. Saying something is just from a place isn't a derogatory thing, its just stating that different places have different rules and ways of doing things. Using the word Jimmies instead of sprinkles is just a Philadelphian thing. I'm not putting down people from Philadelphia just explaining that what people from there say. But if you took it as rude sorry.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
It probably is just an American thing. Just like were the only ones too damn stubborn to change to the metric system. Which if you think about it doesn't make any sense. Because the metric system is easy and with a country who tires to make everything easier, you would think they would change. But this is off topic.

As I said, we Americans like to make things over-complicated because we think it makes us look smart. :) It doesn't. We're too stubborn and we look like idiots. But no problem!

USA! USA! USA! :D

Its not meant to be rude. Saying something is just from a place isn't a derogatory thing, its just stating that different places have different rules and ways of doing things. Using the word Jimmies instead of sprinkles is just a Philadelphian thing. I'm not putting down people from Philadelphia just explaining that what people from there say. But if you took it as rude sorry.

Yeah, this.

goddessofthehunt

Queen of inane tangents.
Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying to teach myself the imperial system to make measurements more relatable in my book, since while the characters are Australian they are heavily influenced by America (even more so than in modern times). It's kind of insane.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
As I said, we Americans like to make things over-complicated because we think it makes us look smart. :) It doesn't. We're too stubborn and we look like idiots. But no problem!

USA! USA! USA! :D

Yeah, this.

Like with healthcare! You would think by the way the US talks about free healthcare, its had never been done before.

Status
Not open for further replies.