Harvard Professor: Keynes was wrong because he was gay

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
http://www.fa-mag.com/news/harvard-professor-gay-bashes-keynes-14173.html
Harvard Professor and author Niall Ferguson says John Maynard Keynes' economic philosophy was flawed and he didn't care about future generations because he was gay and didn't have children.

Speaking at the Tenth Annual Altegris Conference in Carlsbad, Calif., in front of a group of more than 500 investors, Ferguson responded to a question about Keynes' famous philosophy of self-interest versus the economic philosophy of Edmund Burke, who believed there was a social contract among the living, as well as the dead. Ferguson asked the audience how many children Keynes had. He explained that Keynes had none because he was a homosexual and was married to a ballerina, with whom he likely talked of "poetry" rather than procreated. The audience went quiet at the remark. Some attendees later said they found the remarks offensive.

I don't even...

This reminds me once again that even if you're at the top in your field, it doesn't mean you're good at your field.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Keynes was wrong, but it has nothing to do with his sexual orientation.

He was wrong about specifics.

702dbe2c-1230-49bb-8583-c738ddc9e6da_zps80de4ec3.jpg

He was wrong about generalities, as the following chart shows what's happened to the average Joe's real wages since Nixon freed the Banksters. (1971 on the chart)

303240e3-1293-42b5-ab90-049683fa14c0_zps3cc9bd71.jpg

Those who follow his theories and claim the recession ended in '09 because Wall Street is humming and the one percent is getting richer... well, they need to read the suicide thread.

... and just for fun, in honor of Paul Krugman's "Keynesian" Alien Invasion Theory:

NoLuke_zpsbc366fdc.jpg

ETA: Oh, yeah, and he was wrong about eugenics as well as economics. He was a big fan, you know. Huge. Not a big fan of the common man.

Last edited:

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... personally, I've always felt that bringing up personal stuff as a way of undermining somebody whom you disagree with is a cheap shot and easy way out. A person can have a valid opinion on something and not be directly involved with that something themselves. E.g. I can have an opinion on how Japan might be restructured, politically, without living there myself. Distance can result in increased objectivity and insight. So leave the personal stuff out of it and focus on the point. And if that means you can't counter another person's argument then admit defeat gracefully instead of squirming about pathetically and grasping at straws.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
... personally, I've always felt that bringing up personal stuff as a way of undermining somebody whom you disagree with is a cheap shot and easy way out. A person can have a valid opinion on something and not be directly involved with that something themselves. E.g. I can have an opinion on how Japan might be restructured, politically, without living there myself. Distance can result in increased objectivity and insight. So leave the personal stuff out of it and focus on the point. And if that means you can't counter another person's argument then admit defeat gracefully instead of squirming about pathetically and grasping at straws.
Exactly. It's not rocket science to point out Keynes' myriad failures without attacking his sexual orientation.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Exactly. It's not rocket science to point out Keynes' myriad failures without attacking his sexual orientation.

... and in this case, it may not have even been a matter of grasping at straws.
B/c if Keynes argument is really that flawed Fergunson should have simply focused on that like you say.
But maybe he was still incapable.
Calling Don to the podium ;-)

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
... and in this case, it may not have even been a matter of grasping at straws.
B/c if Keynes argument is really that flawed Fergunson should have simply focused on that like you say.
But maybe he was still incapable.
Calling Don to the podium ;-)
I know nothing about Ferguson, and based on the article, we know nothing about the legitimate arguments that Ferguson may have made, because he shot himself in the foot during the question and answer session. Whether the article would have even been written had Ferguson not done so is a whole 'nother issue. Coverage of alternative viewpoints isn't part of the trend toward diversity when it comes to economic schools of thought.

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Niall Ferguson says something ignorant. In other news, a North Korean leader says something crazy, a U.S. politician got caught in a scandal, and water is wet. :)

He's well-known outside the field of history, but not exactly one of the titans of the field itself, and generally isn't widely adored or anything. He's also rather controversial within the field, and beyond his scholarly views, he's known for saying dumbass stuff like this.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website

Keynes is a 19th century man addressing an early 20th century problem. As we do not look to Benjamin Disraeli to solve social problems of our times, it is equally problematic to look to Keynes to solve economic problems of the 21st century.

That has nothing whatsoever to do with the man's sexual orientation.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I didn't read it as "he was wrong because he was gay" but "he thought this way because he was gay and didn't have kids." Which is equally stupid, but slightly different.

From another source:

Speaking to a crowd of over 500 people, Ferguson said: ‘It is the economic ideals of [John Maynard] Keynes that have gotten us into the problems of today.’

Ferguson was referring to Keynes’ philosophies that focused more on short-term needs and immediate results in an economic system, contrary to classical economics that looks for more long-term solutions to economic problems.

Ferguson continued: ‘Keynes was a homosexual and had no intention of having children. We are not dead in the long run…our children are our progeny.

‘Short term fixes, with a neglect of the long run, leads to the continuous cycles of booms and busts. Economies that pursue such short-term solutions have always suffered not only decline, but destruction, in the long run.’

Ferguson accused Keynes of selfish economic policies because he was an ‘effete’ member of society who married a ballerina. Ferguson went on to say that Keynes probably discussed ‘poetry’ with his wife more often than they had sex.

The odd thing is his point could have been made in exactly the same way without bringing up sexual orientation. He seemed to be criticism zing his lifestyle and philosophies and conflating it with his sexuality. Gross.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Criticism of 'gay lifestyles' is just dog whistling by another name.

Yeah but no one said anything about "gay lifestyle." I meant his actual lifestyle, and I don't consider sexual orientation a "lifestyle choice."

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yeah but no one said anything about "gay lifestyle." I meant his actual lifestyle, and I don't consider sexual orientation a "lifestyle choice."

Ferguson did.

Ferguson, who is the Laurence A. Tisch Professor of History at Harvard University, and author of The Great Degeneration: How Institutions Decay and Economies Die, says it's only logical that Keynes would take this selfish worldview because he was an "effete" member of society. Apparently, in Ferguson's world, if you are gay or childless, you cannot care about future generations nor society.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Okay, but if Keynes was a bad economic philosopher because he was gay and married to a ballet dancer, then what does this Ferguson guy do that explains why he's so full of shit? I mean, something must account for it.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Ferguson did.

That wasn't even a quote? And I might be making a mistake in assuming we feel the same way about the term "lifestyle" used to describe homosexuality. I generally find it offense. So when I say he was speaking about Keynes lifestyle, I'm not referring to his sexuality. I'm talking about his actual (or rather perceived) lifestyle of childless, artistic, selfish intellectual.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Am I the only one who thinks Keynes was unto something? I prefer him over Milton Friedman any given day, at least.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
He was wrong about generalities, as the following chart shows what's happened to the average Joe's real wages since Nixon freed the Banksters. (1971 on the chart)

US_productivity_and_real_wages.jpg

Would that mean that Nixon stepped away from Keynesian policy? As I understand it, there were external factors that pushed politicians to other policies, including the hard sell of Friedmanian policies that would dominate the 80s. There was also the surplus of consumable goods from the redevelopment of Japanese and German economies and the advance of technologies that introduced robotics and computers.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Okay, but if Keynes was a bad economic philosopher because he was gay and married to a ballet dancer, then what does this Ferguson guy do that explains why he's so full of shit? I mean, something must account for it.
Well, he's openly atheist. Without the moral foundations that a belief in God provides, how can anyone trust his economic theories?

dfwtinman

Cubic Zirconia in the rough
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, he's openly atheist. Without the moral foundations that a belief in God provides, how can anyone trust his economic theories?

He claims progeny makes us immortal. But, if one were motivated by the desire to actually become immortal...

AncientEagle

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks Keynes was unto something? I prefer him over Milton Friedman any given day, at least.
No, you're not the only one. There's at least two of us. And I prefer almost anyone over Milton Friedman.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
That graph might be more convincing if the deviation started in 1935 rather than 1975. But we all really know what happened, right? Nixon did a bunch of stuff in 1970-1972 to overstimulate the economy to improve his re-election chances, and then Reagan came along with his supply-side, anti-union policies. Neither one of those things was proper Keynesian policy.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
That graph might be more convincing if the deviation started in 1935 rather than 1975. But we all really know what happened, right? Nixon did a bunch of stuff in 1970-1972 to overstimulate the economy to improve his re-election chances, and then Reagan came along with his supply-side, anti-union policies. Neither one of those things was proper Keynesian policy.

Correct. The Keynesian Consensus was from 1945-1970. At around 1970, the shifts in policies worldwide started changing due to a multitude of reasons.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
No, you're not the only one. There's at least two of us. And I prefer almost anyone over Milton Friedman.
Make that three.

I congratulate him on a moment of honesty:

Ferguson said his remarks at an earlier conference were "as stupid as they were insensitive."

Yeah.

So many people these days seem to have to apologize for themselves. I wonder if it ever occurs to them not to say stupid stuff in the first place.

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
So many people these days seem to have to apologize for themselves. I wonder if it ever occurs to them not to say stupid stuff in the first place.

Ferguson would be out of a career if he stopped saying stupid stuff. Seriously. He's produced like, one academically-respected scholarly work and the rest are just a bunch of dubious "historical" works supporting and justifying imperialism. Some of his statements are also Eurocentric chauvinism at best and racism at worst.

Many historians have strong political views, and there are plenty of left-wing and right-wing activists who are highly respected in the field, even by people who disagree with their politics. But those historians are still doing serious historian and contributing to the field, whereas Ferguson is mostly just a cheerleader for Bush-43-era neo-conservatism and hasn't actually contributed a lot to the field. He's a prolific writer and more famous outside the discipline than others, but I wouldn't really consider him to be at the top of the field or anything.