Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Characters and a plot. Characters must have motivations. Plot must have conflict and stakes.

That is all. There is no writing in stone that says you MUST HAVE romance. In fact, if you're trying to find a place to "fit in" a love interest, it's probably best for your story that you don't. That's like trying to "fit in" vampires/angels/zombies/demons/wizards just because they're popular right now.

Haha thanks. I thought i'd ask at least. No harm in asking :) I learn new things every day :tongue

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Oh sure, there aren't turtles on the thread here... *wonders what NoGuessing is really up to...*

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
We had Chinese a week ago, when we were away, and it wasn't very nice. Mum's been craving some decent Chinese ever since.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your comment. It's funny because being a guy I pictured the mc as male but since your a girl, you imagined it as female. Weird but cool... It could go either way

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it's supposed to go either way; the reader gets to choose the age and gender. I'll read your thing in a sec

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
haha yeah well, it wasn't obvious who it was, to be honest. Also i added the first page of my "novel" as well>>

You might want to give that piece another proofread. There are two punctuation errors in the first sentence alone, which I suspect will be a red flag to critiquers - if they think you aren't putting the work in, neither will they. A nice clean post will get better critiques.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
You might want to give that piece another proofread. There are two punctuation errors in the first sentence alone, which I suspect will be a red flag to critiquers - if they think you aren't putting the work in, neither will they. A nice clean post will get better critiques.

Who, me? It would be nice if someone could point out what they were, then. Because I haven't a clue. That's why I put a bit up, so I could constructive criticism. :S

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
The i and ive needs to be capitalized and you misspelled no one. There is no hyphen but you need to add an apostrophe

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
My only comment: Don't talk about what draft you're on. Don't say that you know it has problems. In fact, if you know it has problems, fix them before you post. SYW is where you go when the draft is as polished as you can get it and you need a few more pairs of eyes.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Para, can you comment on mine? Be as harsh as you want. Nobody goes to the flash fiction page so no one is commenting. I'd appreciate it if you or anyone points out errors. The link is above

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, okay then. But I had capped my I's. Maybe not the "i've" but still...
No offence, but sometimes I think some people can be a little petty with capitalising "I" on these things. It's not like i'm never going to do it when i've finished. But you know... for casual effect. Anyway, i'm going to go sulk now. LOL Just kidding. Sort of.
And about proof reading? I didn't know there was any punctuation problems. If i knew, i would have fixed them.

p.s. i'm not mad at you who commented on it or about it. i'm just sad at myself because i'm not good enough yet. No worries.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
No I know that that is petty and I wouldn't have said it but you asked about the two mistakes in the first sentence. You wrote "no-ones" it's supposed to be " no one's"

HR, what's the mistake? I wouldn't want you to duffer with the typo hanging there. Hehehe

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Well, okay then. But I had capped my I's. Maybe not the "i've" but still...
No offence, but sometimes I think some people can be a little petty with capitalising "I" on these things. It's not like i'm never going to do it when i've finished. But you know... for casual effect. Anyway, i'm going to go sulk now. LOL Just kidding. Sort of.
And about proof reading? I didn't know there was any punctuation problems. If i knew, i would have fixed them.

p.s. i'm not mad at you who commented on it or about it. i'm just sad at myself because i'm not good enough yet. No worries.

No I know that that is petty and I wouldn't have said it but you asked about the two mistakes in the first sentence. You wrote "no-ones" it's supposed to be " no one's"

It's absolutely not petty. There are literally millions of unpublished writers out there, most of whom are absolutely desperate to be critiqued. The people who get priority are the ones who demonstrate that they're serious about their craft and considerate of their readers by submitting a clean, polished draft. Not proofreading is a major red flag signalling lack of time, care and effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.