Take that! spider zapping story

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
I had a fern in my TV room that slowly started to shrink in size so thinking it dead I put it in our backyard compost. Six days ago, lo and behold, the fern is thriving! So I put it in a little pot and give it water and set it in the kitchen sink. A little while later I notice four brown spiders crawling around the sink - ick, I forgot the number one rule of bringing plants in from the outside. Set them on the porch first and let everything crawl out before bringing them inside.

I set it on the porch for a few days, brought it inside yesterday and placed it in a new spot and was sitting next to it when yet another brown spider announces its presence. I shriek, grab some tissue but it's too quick for me. I run and get the first bottle of something I can find. Febreze. I sprayed the spider with Febreze. It wobbled off toward the windowsill and I flicked it outside with the edge of a magazine.

Now it's back with its minions smelling like a tart. It'll probably get evicted from the clan, if it's not dead already.

Kitrianna

Official Bad Cat's Prez
Registered
Reaction score
In one of THOSE moods. Look out people, no one is
:roll: Try jumping spiders. Those little buggers will jump over you which a) saves their little butts and b) freaks the hell out of you so that you scurry into a corner and curl into the fetal postion everytime you see a spider for the rest of your life. Well except me. I like them. They're cute and so long as they don't crawl on me, we can be roommates :)

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
Why would everything crawl out just by setting it on the porch?

It's an enclosed back porch - so in essence, the bugs are out of their outside environment. They crawl out, much like the spiders did in the sink.

It seems to have worked for me, that's all I can say.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
:roll:I like them. They're cute and so long as they don't crawl on me, we can be roommates :)

Yes, but ... spiders bite. And who knows what they're doing as you sleep? Crawling around, staking out more territory. I say zap them when you can.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The other day I was reading my mail and I flipped over one envelope and there was this brown spider, the size of my fingernail, staring back at me. I freaked out not because I was afraid of spider, but it looked kind of like a brown recluse. So I squashed it.

Then I felt really bad. Because it was probably just a harmless garden spider who accidentally got into my mail...

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
I've been bit too - and it took, like 8-9 months for it to clear up.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I freaked out not because I was afraid of spider, but it looked kind of like a brown recluse. So I squashed it.

Then I felt really bad. Because it was probably just a harmless garden spider who accidentally got into my mail...

Brown recluses, very common to this area, have a the shape of a violin on their back. All you have to do is take a good look.

I've been bit too - and it took, like 8-9 months for it to clear up.

This reminds me, as I figure people should know, if you keep getting treated for spider bites, and they're not clearing up, that's a sign that you could have MRSA. 'Cuz they're not really spider bites, but it even fools the doctors.

I usually relocate my spiders if I find them in undesirable locations as they kill bugs. Lots and lots of bugs, like mosquitoes and flies. So they are the enemy of my enemies, which in this case makes them my friends. Which is also why I jump for for joy when I see the bats flit to and fro through our neighborhood.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Brown recluses, very common to this area, have a the shape of a violin on their back. All you have to do is take a good look.

But not too close a look. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Richard

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Very disappointed this story didn't end with the monster being squished until it was no longer recognizable.

Please, no bleeding heart pro-spider replies, thank you.

-Derek

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Yes. And enjoy your 7-day ban.

:wag:

-Derek

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I forgot to check a couple of plants before bringing them in last year and ended up with several frogs in the house. You think herding cats is hard? Try herding frogs....

Darn cute little buggers, though.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
OMG: Were these bushy plants that camouflaged the frogs?
How did you ever get them out of the house? tell, tell!

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
But what about silverfish? Silverfish are ICK. And they live in the house. And they are not all helpful like spiders.

Silverfish are the true evil. Where do they come from? What the heck do they eat? Why do they turn to dust when you squash them? HOW DO THEY GET SO BIG?

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
XL9Z5LWZKLYH4HRRWHRR4HRR6HLR8LYHNHL.jpg

Ol' 61

Registered
Reaction score
I greet spiders with what my husband calls The Spider Dance.

Spider surprised wifey. Wifey sees spider and takes 3-4 steps backward, followed by a full-body shudder. The Spider Dance.

Spiders are the spawn of the devil. I got bit when I was a kid and had an allergic reaction. All spiders are therefore to be avoided, and if unavoidable, squished, leaving a spider-gut stained mark on the spot as a warning to its friends.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I forgot to check a couple of plants before bringing them in last year and ended up with several frogs in the house. You think herding cats is hard? Try herding frogs....

Darn cute little buggers, though.

Actually my cats herd frogs - into the house. And then every now and again I lift up a boot and there's a mummified frog.

It's better than disembowelled squirrels though. Or that live chicken they brought in ( through the cat flap!) that kept crapping behind the telly.

Salem

query-impaired
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I don't thing Febreze will help much. I have black widows on my back patio and I tried spraying them with Windex and Scotchguard. Now I have really clean and shiny black widows on my back patio that won't get stained.

Neurotic

Militant apathist
Registered
Reaction score
A huntsman got into our house once. I ran outside and refused to go back in until the mister killed it and showed me the corpse.