What comic books are you currently reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Just grabbed a copy of Good As Lily. I didnt find that one slice of life comic I was looking for. Also got cyberforce as well.

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
I'm fairly new to comics and graphic novels, so I've been discovering a whole new world to play in. Recently I've come across Blacksad by Juan Diaz Canales and Juanjo Guarnido - wonderful film noir style stories and impressive artwork; Black Widow Deadly Origin by Paul Cornell, whose work I know and admire from Doctor Who; Captain Marvel In Pursuit of Flight by Kelley Sue DeConnick and various artists - which was awesome! I want to find more like this!
Then there's Daredevil, which I wanted to try after coming across the character in Neil Gaiman's 1602 story, and The Ballad of Halo Jones by Alan Moore, which was also awesome - a pity he never wrote any more about that character (and I love the idea of zenades, which cause meditation and complete non-aggression in your enemies).

mrFurious

Registered
Reaction score
i'm current on invincible and luther strode.

i poke around marvel and dc a bit here and there, but i'm not psyched on the new52 stuff so much and when marvel took a huge steaming dump on spidey i blew them off for the most part.

RussPostHoc

Jackalope of All Trades
Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading Invincible for a while now. I still can't figure out how Kirkman can create such a lively and interesting universe when his Ultimate X-Men run was so dreary.

RussPostHoc

Jackalope of All Trades
Registered
Reaction score
You HAVE to read Preacher! It is a classic, in my opinion. It's a series begging to be turned into a HBO / Netflix series.

Seconded. Preacher is violent, blasphemous, scatological, gory, horrific, cruel, and at times absolutely hilarious. It's fantastic entertainment, and its use of profanity verges on genius.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I'm fairly new to comics and graphic novels, so I've been discovering a whole new world to play in. Recently I've come across Blacksad by Juan Diaz Canales and Juanjo Guarnido - wonderful film noir style stories and impressive artwork; Black Widow Deadly Origin by Paul Cornell, whose work I know and admire from Doctor Who; Captain Marvel In Pursuit of Flight by Kelley Sue DeConnick and various artists - which was awesome! I want to find more like this!
Then there's Daredevil, which I wanted to try after coming across the character in Neil Gaiman's 1602 story, and The Ballad of Halo Jones by Alan Moore, which was also awesome - a pity he never wrote any more about that character (and I love the idea of zenades, which cause meditation and complete non-aggression in your enemies).

Blacksad is soooo good!

Just read Hawkeye Vol 2. Slightly more confused/disordered than Vol 1, but still awesome. Hands down the best thing coming out of Marvel just now.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Surprised to see no one's mentioned CHEW yet, by Layman and Guillory. By far my favorite comic in the last couple of years. I started them in the collected vols, and because I can't stand mixing platforms, now I am bereft waiting for Vol 7.

I have SAGA in the pile, but haven't gotten to it yet. I understand it's exceptional.

Hubs has been reading tons of DEADPOOL, and is really getting a kick out of PRINCELESS. This cover cracked him up.

RussPostHoc

Jackalope of All Trades
Registered
Reaction score
CHEW is indeed a gem--and it's very definitely not like any other comic out there.

K. Q. Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I'm finally on the final trade of Transmetropolitan. I loved this series and I've been slowly consuming it over the course of about six years or so. It's strangely endearing, despite the violence and horror and despair.

Deadpool, of course and Kick-Ass 3 which isn't pulling me in very much because of it's place in the canon I think.

I recently did a complete re-read of Johnny The Homicidal Maniac. It still holds up.

I'm planning to re-read Poison Elves and the Darkwing Duck comics, at least the first two story arcs.

weibart

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading "The Wake" by Scott Snyder & Sean Murphy. It's extremely well written - the dialogue flows very well and this issue's story feels like a complete story rather than a cliffhanger where so many single issue stories fall into the trap of these days. The artwork is fantastic as well. Sean Murphy's art tells the story really well and his background design is just killer.

Brian K. Vaughan's "Saga" has been a very enjoyable read. It's very different and daring. If you're looking for something different and refreshing then please give this series a look.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Going to read the second volume of Princeless soon - just picked it up, along with Mortifera, which looks like its going to be very interesting!

aprettytruestory

eating my words
Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading The Walking Dead. I came into this series backwards (saw the TV show first, then sought out the comics). Not sure I like it, kinda feels like they're doing the same thing over and over ("here are some people and they're CRAZY! Also, somebody has to die.") I'm kinda hoping it picks up later.

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com
Serialized comics I'm reading:
Hawkeye, Young Avengers, Saga. I'm catching up on Princeless. I was reading Batwoman, but a lot of that was for J. H. Williams' art, and he hasn't done much. I'll definitely read his new Sandman miniseries.

Wait for (digital) trades:
Prophet, Ultimate Spider-Man (I'm unwilling to pay $3.99 for a single issue, so i wait for trades there), Spera.

And, of course, a bunch of graphic novels. Really looking forward to This One Summer, from Jillian and Mariko Tamaki.

jmikehub

Registered
Reaction score
I recommend a little gem called Daytripper, its a incredible story and totally worth the $15

TJChilders

Registered
Reaction score
Saga, The Massive, and The Activity are my current must reads.
Fanboys vs. Zombies, DeadPool, and recently, Rat Queens have been my fun reads.
Animal Man, Batman, and Hawkguy are my Super Hero reads.
Chew and American Vampire are my Trade reads.

So many more that I am reading but those are my current favorites.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Serialized comics I'm reading:
Hawkeye, Young Avengers, Saga. I'm catching up on Princeless. I was reading Batwoman, but a lot of that was for J. H. Williams' art, and he hasn't done much. I'll definitely read his new Sandman miniseries.

I love your taste in serialized novels! I've been tempted to finally pony up for Comixology so that I can keep up with Saga, Hawkeye, Young Avengers, Sandman: Overtures and Batman Beyond (the new Batwoman run).

I was hoping to catch up on Killjoys too but it looks like Comixology doesn't have it.

PeteDutcher

Twitter: @petedutcherjr
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I rarely read any comics that are not superhero. While I read many kinds of novels, when it comes to comics I stay mostly with heroes.

Among them I love Hulk, Green Lantern and several others.

Anything with ANGEL MEDINA art, I read. Same with George Perez.

I also like the Infinity-related books with Thanos.

I'm not really happy with the changes in continuity with Marvel of late...but there are a few things I enjoy. Grew up on Marvel. DC has some good stuff, but I've always felt more of a connection to Marvel characters...at least until recently.

Loved the original new universe books...and pretty much everything when Jim Shooter was in charge.

Midorikatt

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Another Saga fan here! It's such a fun series, and I adore the artwork.

My favorite comic at the moment is Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye from IDW. I wish I could write characters and dialogue a tenth as good as this writer does. Great stuff.

I also recently picked up Hyperbole and Half by Allie Brosh. If you're not familiar with her blog, she makes hilarious (sometimes sad and poignant) comics with very simple but fun artwork. Highly recommended!

Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys buy digital comics? I've switched entirely to digital for monthly series, and if I really like a series I'll double dip on the trade as well. Some series I trade-wait entirely.

Animad345

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome thread!

I don't think anyone will have heard of this one. It's a manga series from the early seventies, written by 'God of Manga' Osamu Tezuka. It's called 'Black Jack' and, according to the blurb, is about 'an enigmatic surgeon-for-hire who is more good than he pretends to be.'

The protagonist is brilliant, but disfigured and charges exorbitant fees for surgery. However, he has a strong moral compass and will often work for free if given a compelling reason. Oh, and his sidekick is a little girl called Pinoko, who he constructed from a teratoid cystoma.

Read it. It makes sense, I promise! ;)

(My avatar is a picture of Black Jack and Pinoko, btw.)

Status
Not open for further replies.