Return of a Man Named PAMB and its Quotes

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
This is probably off topic, and I hate to admit it, but I sent an email to PA when I was 13/14. They said I was too young to get published.

Two years later, I actually do the research, and found out it was a bad, bad place.

Thank god they let me dodge a bullet.

Thank god indeed. Although before you start thinking too kindly of them, they probably didn't publish you just because you couldn't legally sign a contract. And couldn't buy enough of your books with money from a part-time job or allowance.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Current new releases from PA from their website:
Below is a selection of books released the week of December 06 - December 10, 2010.
Twenty books.

Really cranking them out lately.
Maybe the staff is gearing up for the massive royalty check FUBAR.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Current new releases from PA from their website:

Twenty books.

Really cranking them out lately.

My dad tried to use PA for his second book, despite my nearly begging him to go with Lulu (he wanted POD, and for what he's doing it fit his needs). He didn't use PA because they wouldn't agree to some things he asked for (I need to ask him what). He went with Xlibris. I wonder if PA is getting difficult to deal with except for the most die-hard of honeymooners and newbies.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Maybe the new releases have dropped because more writers are heeding the many warnings.

Still, one of my pals is busy on a social net site. When he spots a neo crowing that PA is sending a contract he swoops in with a long list of warning websites (including this forum and Writer Beware) for that writer to check out before signing. He's been able to stop 4-10 a week from making a bad mistake.

PS--But he doesn't bother the ones who are already sucked in. Not unless he sees a post complaining about them. Then he may send a link to AW's "Alternatives to PA" page.

Last edited:

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Maybe the new releases have dropped because more writers are heeding the many warnings.. . . .
Or not enough submissions are meeting PA's high standards.

icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

--Ken

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, dear. A PA author is urging his fellow authors to invest in a virtual book tour:
You get what you pay for. Tours do work, especially if you have no exposure and just need to get word of you and your book out there. Take a three month tour, and just about everyone that's out there that you want to hit will know your there.

The one he's recommending costs $400 - $800.

Interestingly, on his blog he notes:
I decided to remove a few older posts here. They were primarily about Publish America, and my views about that so called publisher have changed dramatically. I feel that the older posts were too friendly to them, and decided to remove them rather then letting them influence some new author to actually try them out.
Thankfully, he's figured out PA is a scam, and he's self published his second book through CreateSpace. But spending so many hundreds of dollars on a blog tour -- sadly, I reckon it's not an investment that will bear fruit, certainly not for PA authors with their overpriced and underavailable books.

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com
I did a social experiment. I emailed PA as an author looking to be published by them and just needing clarity.

The email I got back states B&N orders 120 books everyday. Not sure if they want it to sound like 120 authors or copies, but you get the laugh.

They also state over 100 authors query them everyday, but 80% are turned down. I queried them my novel almost a year ago with an awful query and got a contract, so the 80% is an interesting number. (BTW-I didn't sign the contract :) )

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
From the PAMB:
How long does it take Publich America to activate ebook. I first subscribed in October on a $72,99 package and again in January on a 102.99 package. I have yet to find my book offered anywhere as an ebook. Does anyone know why it is taking so long.

*sigh* Doing more of what doesn't work won't make it work any better.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
From the PAMB:

*sigh* Doing more of what doesn't work won't make it work any better.

That just makes me sad that someone is so desperate to have an e-book that they would pay to do it twice. You know, instead of finding out that PA is just sucky.

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
I'm wondering if the writer means he signed up 2 books? Not that this would make it better... first book isn't showing up so I'll go ahead and pay for my second one as well, but why would anyone pay almost $200 to convert the same book?

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A new PA author is about to get the first of many bits of bad news, I reckon:
Are newly published Publish America books available as e-books for free. Like for Kindle, Google and Nook and as a PA e-book? My book "<title redacted>" is being released. I'm wondering if I have to buy more books from PA for this. Did anybody buy the Rudolph's Weekend special?

"I'm wondering if I have to buy more books from PA." Gosh, does it get any sadder than that?

Also, "Rudolph's Weekend special?" WTF? Did each reindeer get a weekend?

Last edited:

TheTinCat

I am a mighty viking!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the writer means he signed up 2 books? Not that this would make it better... first book isn't showing up so I'll go ahead and pay for my second one as well, but why would anyone pay almost $200 to convert the same book?

Same reason someone would sell their book for a dollar and then spend all their savings buying back copies of it, so they can then sell it to their friends and families at a loss?

Jill Karg

So many WIPs which one to work on
Registered
Reaction score
ok I'm surprised this isn't in cornfield...

How come on Amazon.com the title of my book is all deformed?
PA response
Must be the bogeyman..
author's responds back...
Nice, thanks for the serious response...... I appreciate your professionalism!!! BTW you spelled "boogyman" wrong
icon_biggrin.gif
So even their humor has mistakes...:ROFL:.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
A long-time PA supporter is ditching the PA forums and making their books available elsewhere.

[name removed by Merri] and I have had 2 books published through PA since 2004... and it has been a good journey with them. The rights to our first book were returned to us and we now have that book available in a revised, e-book series - (2-books) - and will have the first in this series out in print within a month or so. Our 2nd book with PA will have a contract end date in May, and we will be taking this book to print in a revised edition as well. The e-book rights were already given to us, it was revised and put in e-book format some time ago.

Sadly the forum here is like a graveyard... spooky and quiet. So I'll no longer be spending time here...

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
Are new victims, er, authors even aware of the private boards or do they not exist anymore?

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
I looked for Kindle version of the memoir my friend from local writing club has been crowing about in anticipation, and found:

Your search "[title redacted and author redacted]" did not match any products in: Kindle Store

But the print version showed up, discounted from list $24.95 to $19.95 (which was the original list price, a couple of years ago), for a 150-page paperback. It showed as in stock and available, which is something, at least.

--Ken

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's so dispiriting to see PA authors' expectations, which are so unrealistic and which have been cruelly fostered by PA.

Doomed to disappointment #1:
I was just wondering if anyone who has submitted their book to be turned into a screenplay been notified yet? Just a little curious after speaking with a few reps at PA I was told I would be contacted in January and so far that has not happened yet.

Doomed to disappointment #2:
My book <redacted> is currently on approx 1,000 web sites world wide. About 500 books available on ebay. Is PA able to keep an accurate record of ALL sales records?

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yet another PA author is asking this question:
I paid to have my novel made into a kindle ebook for amazon. I was browsing in the amazon ebooks for kindle and did not see it listed. How long does it take?

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PA authors have amazing patience.
I paid for the Barns and Noble e-book. I purchased it on Jan 9th. But in the e-mail they did state it could take a bit of time. I haven’t seen mine yet, in fact Barns and Noble isn’t displaying my book now as being available either. But they had it as hard cover and now it is soft cover, so maybe they’re in the process of up-dating????? I will just wait and see. God bless and good luck to you. But don’t worry I’m sure it just takes a little time….

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A post about the other age-old problem at PA: overpriced books.
I went out today to my local bookstores to see if they would carry my book. Each one said they would but the price was too high. And I agree. Has anyone else had this problem? Even with discount bookstores receive, they could not sell my book for the asking price. Any suggestions? Granted my book is relatively small (48 pages) so I would not expect to have it sell for more than $10.99 to $12.99.
Her 48 page paperback has a cover price of $21.95.

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
And a cheerleader replied to say that bookstores routinely overprice books by 50%. :Wha: So it's not PA's fault. She also offers the usual advice of buying books and selling them on consignment.

I... logic... flawed... brain hurty... waugh.

No, seriously. Someone please explain how 'the bookstores overprice books by 50%' justifies this? If you figure the bookstore's price of, say, $6 for a paperback is in and of itself 50% higher than it should be, how does that justify PA charging $22? I've been staring at this message for several minutes trying to work that one out in my head...