XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

unruley700

save us from sleep and what we are
Registered
Reaction score
1020!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
I see we're almost there. :D

We tried to watch Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas tonight. It didn't make any more sense than the book, so we gave up. :( I kind of enjoyed the book, but you lose the interesting prose in the movie for the most part.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I got caught by a thread in Basic Writing Questions that caused me to google Was (Not Was) for cheesy 80's music.

unruley700

save us from sleep and what we are
Registered
Reaction score
I see we're almost there. :D

We tried to watch Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas tonight. It didn't make any more sense than the book, so we gave up. :( I kind of enjoyed the book, but you lose the interesting prose in the movie for the most part.
I love that movie!
Not THAT expensive. I mean broke me can afford it. But it does eat up my discretionary income for the weekend.

I spent my discretionary income on Pabst.

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
Hm. So watching The Dark Knight Rises reminded me I have a comic where Batman has his back broken. I got it in a grab bag assortment, and it is in mint condition somewhere in mom's attic (or chewed up by mice...). I was told it was pretty valuable when I got it. I remember the cover, and the title, so I looked it up finally. #497. I ran to ebay to see if I'd hit a small lottery. There were plenty of 497 up for auction, so I wasnt alone in thinking now was a good time to sell.

Most were under 10 bucks, with some first editions under 50. I am not asking my mom to go hunting through the attic for maybe 50 bucks.

Dire.

The back breaking scene in the batman movie was... Well, I could have suspended disbelief for the actual breaking of the back - superheroes come through worse all the time.

But when the prisoner shoved his vertebrae back into his back, from where it had been sticking out?

I got shushed because a very loud "bullshit" popped out of my mouth in the cinema.
Ah. So the new Batman movie cribs from the "Knightfall" storyline, eh?

I'd been wondering why Bane shows up.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Eh, I'll find someone else's to steal in good time anyway. You are forgiven, if you provide me with old-timey euphemisms for gay people. And if you ask no questions as to why I require these words. :D

What era are you looking for?

I had this question a couple of years ago, when I workshopped the last story I wrote before this year, a crime story set in Hollywood in 1933. "Gay" was around then, but not likely to be known then unless you were gay. (See, arguably, Cary Grant's ad lib in Bringing Up Baby, made in 1938. Grant might well have known this word as he was bi.) One member of our writing group asked her father, who was American and ninety years old, and he said the word he would have used then was "fruit".

I like that story, but so far I've been unable to sell it.

Another much older word I did find was "flatfuck", which was a more than a little phallocentric Medieval slang expression for a lesbian.

Good morning Cantina. Hope everyone is well. I won't be around much this weekend - three horror films in London in Frightfest tonight, off to my parents' tomorrow, back on Monday. I also have DVD reviews to catch up on.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
I'm not sure what era this is from, or whether it's actually true, but I was under the impression that calling someone a "confirmed bachelor" was actually a polite way back in the day to imply they weren't going to want female companionship

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
We're having a Greek Festival in Huntington in a few weeks. Moussaka, gyros, spanikopita, dolmadas, baklava. You're welcome to tag along, if you like.

There's a Huntingdon near me and for about 3 seconds, I was all, Oooooo! And then I remembered where you were.

*cleans up mess from burst bubble*

I don't understand this first sentence. Is cribs a verb?

In this case, yes. It means to borrow or copy from. We used to use it in the context of copying someone else's test answers (not that I ever did, mind you!), as in; "Hey, lemme crib off you!"

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So at this rate, the entire Cantina will become the Dread Pirate Roberts.

Eeeeeexcellent.....

*rubs hands together*

ETA: Well lookie there....we made it to 1020.

ETA 2: Would they be called "The Dread Pirate Moderts?"

Last edited:

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Saw this on Facebook this morning. I wish I could put it in my signature.

253916_10151177247670731_365943277_n.jpg

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
BTW: just a teensy bit jealous of my husband today. For his birthday, his brother got him tickets to see Cincinnati play St. Louis. They have tickets right on the first base line, down close to the front. They're practically on the field!

And I DON'T GET TO GO!!!!!!

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
Well this is a good news, bad news moment.

Good news: I have grilled cheese sandwiches.
Bad news: I burnt my finger on the grill.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
*pokes head in *

Still here I see. *skips off towards bed land*

Oh, and I'm super happy. Tomorrow is open day at a couple of universities that my brother is interested in, so the whole family is headed down to Melbourne. They were going to drop me off at the first university, because I can catch the train back to my unit from there. But my brother asked me to come along to both and be his sounding board.

I feel all big sisterly and wanted :D

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have fun Eye :)

That's very sweet Sian.

The back breaking scene in the batman movie was... Well, I could have suspended disbelief for the actual breaking of the back - superheroes come through worse all the time.

But when the prisoner shoved his vertebrae back into his back, from where it had been sticking out?

I got shushed because a very loud "bullshit" popped out of my mouth in the cinema.

I tried to enjoy the whole stupid prison thing, even the back thing, because they were playing up the psychology and making the storyline circle around. That got old as the weeks (and many minutes of screen time) rolled by and Nothing was happening and our hero was a lump. Yay.

Spoiler (dont quote this text):I did find the masked person helping child Bane and the whole 'we cant talk about this critical backstory' very suspicious but was too dulled by the downturn in the film to care to think about it or why some chick had convieniently showed up earlier as a love interest.

Otoh, Nolan did a good job with Catwoman. I liked how she had to make a choice at the end.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score

I know right?! I managed not to say anything, but internally I was like, "Are you serious? You're serious. How is this guy directing movies? How did he pass high school?!"

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
I tried to enjoy the whole stupid prison thing, even the back thing, because they were playing up the psychology and making the storyline circle around. That got old as the weeks (and many minutes of screen time) rolled by and Nothing was happening and our hero was a lump. Yay.
Still...looking forward to seeing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.