Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharacterInWhite

Kind of a big deal
Registered
Reaction score
I need to throw a pity party.

I got all worked up for an argument and my opinion was essentially dismissed because I have a penis--despite being pangendered and not even pretending I'm strictly male. They didn't refute my logic or my argument, they just said "Nope, you can't discuss this because you're a guy."

Thanks.

Bigotry is shitty. >:/

Side note: Hairspray! <3

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
I need to throw a pity party.

I got all worked up for an argument and my opinion was essentially dismissed because I have a penis--despite being pangendered and not even pretending I'm strictly male. They didn't refute my logic or my argument, they just said "Nope, you can't discuss this because you're a guy."

Thanks.

Bigotry is shitty. >:/

Side note: Hairspray! <3

I get this all the time because i'm a girl. Me and my friends (almost all male) have alot of philosophical and scientific discussions (because were dorky science majors) Although our most insanely stupid argument was on the fact that women should not be aloud to work in Stem Cell research because were cry babies who have to think about the baby it came from. Oh and the fact that cramps are seriously not all girls make them out to be. Its just a way for them to have a pity party and be a bitch for a week.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. Ally, I HATE that.

I mean, I believe that there are discussions and topics where you cannot make a proper decision without the input of women.

(okay, well, I think any political discussion needs women, not all women but definitely some)

but gender inequality is never good.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
yeah normally my friends are only joking to get a rise out of me, which they love to laugh about when they do. (I get really heated in arguments)

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
CIW, that sucks. And I know what you mean. It happens too often...

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Ok I need help from all you lovely TWFTies. Anyone hear read contemporary novels?

Plain and simple I don't. I've had to read them for school, and suffered through them. I'm more of an action and suspense person. I need it in a story. Otherwise i get bored.

So my question is, what keeps you reading those first few chapters of a contemporary book? I know every book needs some conflict, but what sort of conflict keeps you reading after that first chapter. Yeah I know this is a very vague question that all depends on the way it is written and the type of book it is.

But just from experience what books have you opened up and been like "Ok this opening is stupid" or "Ok its slow paced but i'll keep reading"

Would say a girl who first tires but backs out of suicide attempt, then decides to run away, be a big enough "conflict" to keep you reading? (assuming its well written)

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
If you're writing a contemp novel, you have to read some. No way around it.

Also, how does a girl who attempts suicide then runs away not qualify as 'action and suspense'?

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Ok I need help from all you lovely TWFTies. Anyone hear read contemporary novels?

Yes. I write and read YA contemp. The thing that gets me reading is the plot. The biggest thing that keeps me reading is the characters. I have to want to read their story.

Personally I'm confused as to why you're writing a contemp novel if you don't like reading them.

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
*drops in*

Um...there are a lot comtemporary novels that have action and suspense. That's what I love about Contemps. They're flexible. You can do anything you want with them (within reason) It can be a romance, a drama, or a thriller. I write contemp (and every other genre in the YA spectrum) but...yeah. If you want to write Contemp, you're going to have read a few and there are a lot of good ones out there.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
yeah, contemporary doesn't mean anything specific except set in contemporary times, yeah?

eta: I mean, of course there's more to it, like it deals with contemporary issues etc., but it's still a very broad genre.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not writing a contemp novel, its a really really dark Thriller. The beginning just starts off contemp-ish. Alex flashbacks as she is about to jump out her window. Then more of an explanation and more flashbacks about why she hates her town, how she wants to be away. A close call with what she thought were old bullies, and then she makes up her mind to run away after her mom tries to apologize for another one of her alcoholic weekend episodes.

To me that's not really suspenseful or action-y. Again i'm not the one to like contemp books, i find alot of the "problems" in them just teens being whiny teens, so that's what i feel the beginning of my book will be like. Which is why i asked. Because for those who like contemp books i'm curious if they would keep reading after hearing about these problems.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
to me, attempted suicide is always suspenseful.

but anyway, if you don't think something's interesting don't write it.

eta: and not all contemp. novels are about teens being whiny teens. i feel obliged to say this.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Oh i understand that. I've read a few good ones, but they weren't exactly considered contemporary. Like Ely said they were mixed into other genres. I only said that because that's the kind of contemp i'm worried this first chapter will fall into. I dont want Alex too seem like she is just constantly bitching in this chapter. Its mostly just internal dialogue.

Grrrr. I just want the 4th chapter action to come in, I really hate the beginning setting up characters and background phase.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Found the perfect Sam and Alex!!! YAY! Only Sam's hair would be a little blonder.

84438798.jpg
86538232.jpg

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so tired. I just found out that I have an essay due in the morning, and I haven't even started it. I'm hoping that my teacher will give me an extension since I was out sick. I have to schedule some book blog stuff then I'm heading to bed.

ETA- Sleep time!
Also, Zoom (if you read this), I've been creepin' Publishers Weekly for the past month. :tongue

Last edited:

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with school Zoe, hope your teacher gives you the extension.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Nothing much. Hoping to finish this edit today so I can get paid. How about you?

Status
Not open for further replies.