Chamomile Lawns

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, we think we're putting in a little chamomile lawn where the pond was.

Is there any reason we shouldn't, that you can think of?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
So, we think we're putting in a little chamomile lawn where the pond was.

Is there any reason we shouldn't, that you can think of?
This would be a question for your local plant experts: Is chamomile invasive in Australia?
In B.C. we're constantly getting lists of foreign plants that were imported, and will take over, if given a chance:
Scotch broom, Himalayan blackberry (which I thought was a native plant, it's so prevalent), purple loosestrife, yellow flag iris, Asian milfoil, lamium, Morning glory, and many many others.
Every year the local environmental groups, Streamkeepers, etc, get together work parties to rip stuff out, just to try to contain it. We've given up on dandelions, they're never going away. :Shrug:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This would be a question for your local plant experts: Is chamomile invasive in Australia?
In B.C. we're constantly getting lists of foreign plants that were imported, and will take over, if given a chance:
Scotch broom, Himalayan blackberry (which I thought was a native plant, it's so prevalent), purple loosestrife, yellow flag iris, Asian milfoil, lamium, Morning glory, and many many others.
Every year the local environmental groups, Streamkeepers, etc, get together work parties to rip stuff out, just to try to contain it. We've given up on dandelions, they're never going away. :Shrug:

Oh! What a good point! I was thinking more along the lines of - no, they attract crocodiles, but I'll check the invasive thing. Thank you.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
Are you going to walk on it much? A chamomile lawn is a lovely thing but it won't take lots of traffic. Do you know if chamomile grows happily where you are? Maybe try out a small patch before you commit to it. Also, they will never look as smooth, green and bowling lawn as a grass lawn but if it will grow and suits your usage I'd try it - it sounds lovely! It'll only need mowing very rarely to which is good. You need a specific type of chamomile - not just the normal herb plants but a low growing variety. Good luck!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Oh! What a good point! I was thinking more along the lines of - no, they attract crocodiles, but I'll check the invasive thing. Thank you.

Can't answer for you, personally, but me, I think I'd avoid planting something that attracts crocodiles, especially the kind you have in Oz, which are the biggest, most aggressive, nastiest crocodilians on the planet.

Fortunately, where I live, we keep them out with ten feet of winter snowfall.

caw

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Can't answer for you, personally, but me, I think I'd avoid planting something that attracts crocodiles, especially the kind you have in Oz, which are the biggest, most aggressive, nastiest crocodilians on the planet.

Fortunately, where I live, we keep them out with ten feet of winter snowfall.

caw
Very effective, probably reminds them of how their dino ancestors died out.
Keeps the chamomile down as well, does it?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I checked out the invasive thing and we're good to go on that score. I checked out the wear and tear thing as well, and since it's not a trafficway, it shouldn't be a problem.

Thank you all for your help on that.

As far as the crocs are concerned - well, we'll just wait and see. ;)

I love having a garden. I'd post pics if I was cleverererer.

I put in tomatoes today, against all the Old Local's advice (the long weekend in October! Never before the long weekend in October!) because I just. can't. wait.

Last edited:

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Very effective, probably reminds them of how their dino ancestors died out.
Keeps the chamomile down as well, does it?
I just planted chamomile (the herb kind, not lawn) here in my zone 6 yard, it's supposed to be fine with the snow just like the mint and the lemon balm and such. Though, I'm not anywhere near as far north as blacbird.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if the lawn is related to the herb but if so it is part of the ragweed family and can cause problems for those with ragweed allergies.

cornetto

Registered
Reaction score
Our dooryard is probably 60% chamomile (probably brought it home from work on my shoes). It looks great in the spring when it's blooming, but it melts out in the heat. Most of it is gone by mid-summer, but it reseeds itself and gets spread around by mowing so it always comes back.