The Tenth Circle

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
I'm checking in too, because after my initial excitement over the cover, now I'm sort of 'meh'. My son saw it and said the main title font looked too cartoonish. Since he's only slightly over the targeted age range, that really shook me. The back cover is suppposed to be smoke-like, but my husband pointed out it looks like a picture of a molecular structure that they've blurred. I emailed my editor with this comment and she's going to think about it. To top it off, I was sort of happy with my author photo til I actually saw it on the book jacket layout, and now I'm really blah. I think I keep a picture in my head of what I looked like in my 30s, and that's not what I look like now. Sorry for the whine, but this is the right place, right?

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Melia, I am sure your cover is fine! Don't worry. :)

And I had no idea this thread was here. What do we do once we pass publication? Move back to Purgatory again? Heaven? Lol.

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Well, we never actually leave Purgatory; we just get to be in more levels at once.

Sorry, Melia -- hopefully you can get them to modify the parts you don't like as well.

I have a feeling the author photo is more than fine -- I totally know what you mean about that disconnect between the mental picture and the actual one!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
And I had no idea this thread was here. What do we do once we pass publication? Move back to Purgatory again? Heaven? Lol.

Purgatory or back to The Next Level, as we go through all the "next book" stuff. And wait for reviews, sales figures...

Augh. :)

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
I'm checking in too, because after my initial excitement over the cover, now I'm sort of 'meh'. My son saw it and said the main title font looked too cartoonish. Since he's only slightly over the targeted age range, that really shook me. The back cover is suppposed to be smoke-like, but my husband pointed out it looks like a picture of a molecular structure that they've blurred. I emailed my editor with this comment and she's going to think about it. To top it off, I was sort of happy with my author photo til I actually saw it on the book jacket layout, and now I'm really blah. I think I keep a picture in my head of what I looked like in my 30s, and that's not what I look like now. Sorry for the whine, but this is the right place, right?

Can you post a pic for us to see (if you're up for it)? I'm curious, I'm sure your cover is fine...

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Can you post a pic for us to see (if you're up for it)? I'm curious, I'm sure your cover is fine...

I don't think I can share it yet, as much as I want to. I think part of the problem is I was so excited to see it, and I wanted my family to be thrilled with it, so that brought me down a little. I'll try to find out if I can post it this week.

Thanks all for your posts.

HappyCamper

I lurk, therefore I am
Registered
Reaction score
Lily - These might come in handy. :D Good luck! :)

huge58294849.jpg

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, new outline finished and sent to The Editor. Still collecting comments from folks who are reading it for me, so I can tweak it for my own purposes, but the basic structure and plot flow is set.

I have to say, it feels better to me than the first one. I've eliminated my body count (which I was worried about all along) and lightened it up considerably.

Hope she likes it.

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
SNORK!

Well, I'm one for two in my attempts to buy more published Purgie books (I already have SP). I think I am going to have to resort to the Amazon for Jill's. Kelly's I found at one of the smaller Barnes and Nobles in my 'hood. There IS a really big one in Santa Monica, so maybe I will try that first.

Readers are telling me that my WIP does not in fact suck, so I'm feeling not as horribly stressed out as I've been feeling lately. I might even send it off to Agent Man before I finish. It's going to be short though, which is weird. I'm guessing 75-80K.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Tired. Punchy. Def. not cutting enough yet. I know I'll need at least one more full pass. Blergh. Going to bed with HPLovecraft and the hubs.

That's not anywhere near as pork-choppish as it sounds. :tongue

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Good news: The Editor likes the new outline, so forward I go!

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Really good news, Tas!

Can I just say I've realized it's nice to have galleys to correct as I please! After all these months no one else is commenting on this manuscript. The scary part is that means soon reviewers will start commenting. Yikes!

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
SNORK!

Well, I'm one for two in my attempts to buy more published Purgie books (I already have SP). I think I am going to have to resort to the Amazon for Jill's. Kelly's I found at one of the smaller Barnes and Nobles in my 'hood. There IS a really big one in Santa Monica, so maybe I will try that first.

Readers are telling me that my WIP does not in fact suck, so I'm feeling not as horribly stressed out as I've been feeling lately. I might even send it off to Agent Man before I finish. It's going to be short though, which is weird. I'm guessing 75-80K.

Oh noes! No copies of mah book? :)

And don't stress over your book! They always seem worst to us since we wrote every line.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, Tas! Great news!

Melia - I about had a heart attack when I returned galleys and realized that review copies were going out. It's another "OMG this is happening!" step. :D

I bet it was terrifying when you found out you had your first review.

*needs to prepare corner to hide in*