• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Lobster Press

rekirts

NOooooo!!!
Registered
Reaction score
I have a manuscript for a Christmas picture book. I found a publisher who mentions one of the things they are specifically looking for is picture books with a Christmas theme. It is a smallish Canadian publisher and they accept unagented material from Canadians. But the following is from their writer's guidelines:

Please note that Lobster Press does not respond to queries about the status of unsolicited manuscripts. We apologize for this. We will contact you only if we wish to publish your manuscript. Further, we regret that we are unable to return manuscripts, but recycle all materials.

So how long would I have to wait before assuming they aren't publishing my manuscript if they don't contact me unless they are??? They do accept simultaneous submissions, but my second choice of publisher doesn't. My second choice is not my first choice simply because they are not specifically looking for Christmas picture books.

Any ideas?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, unagented is not the same as unsolicited. Did you query them first, or just send it? Presuming the latter, I'd give them at least three months before moving on.

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
What CaoPaux said... But I would note that in the 2005 edition of Writer's Market, it says that Lobster Press is not presently accepting submissions. If that's changed, it's good for you, because it also says that 90% of their authors are first-timers! :D

rekirts

NOooooo!!!
Registered
Reaction score
I know that unagented and unsolicited aren't the same thing. I only mentioned the agent thing because it seems like most U.S. publishers only take agented material, but it's a bit different in Canada. Lobster takes unsolicited materials too, but obviously don't reply unless accepted. :Shrug:

I haven't sent anything yet, but in their writer's guidelines they ask for the entire manuscript if possible. Since mine is a picture book, and short, that's what I'll send.

I'm not exactly a first-timer. I've had stuff published before, including a children's story in an anthology. I'm hoping that will go in my favour. :)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
"Specifically looking for Christmas books" isn't much of a recommendation. Does the other publisher accept Christmas books at all? Do they get better distribution, pay higher advances, get better artists that your other proposed publisher?

You are aware that you're too late for Christmas 2005 -- '06 or '07 is more like it for things being submitted now.

rekirts

NOooooo!!!
Registered
Reaction score
You are aware that you're too late for Christmas 2005 -- '06 or '07 is more like it for things being submitted now.

Yes, I am. I've had stories published in magazines before, and even they want seasonal stuff 6 months in advance, so I'm aware a book needs a lot of lead time.

As to the other questions, I only know what they say on their websites, so I suppose a trip to the library and bookstore is in order to see if I can find any of their books.

Last edited:

Sydewinder

Banned
Reaction score
Look up. you see that bright star in the sky? I li
FWIW, Lobster press’ books have a large presence in every Chapters Book store I’ve been in. I am trying to build a list of Canadian Mid-sized publishing houses that pay industry standard advances, have distribution outside Canada, and whose books I can find in stores. So far I’ve confirmed Lobster Press, Red Deer Press, Edge/Tesseract, and Orca Book Publisher. There are others that I have on my list, but I haven’t been back to the book stores/libraries yet.

Last edited:

Sydewinder

Banned
Reaction score
Subbed in May, rejection today (hey, that rhymes). Oh, well. It is what it is.

I did notice that Ethan Ellenburg made a multi-book sale to this publisher for his client, Edward Willett. Given that Mr. Ellenburg is one of the TOP agents in the industry, and that Mr. Willett has been published much larger pubs (DAW), I'd say that bodes pretty well for the kind of publishing house this is.

ETA: I just realized that two posts in a row are of my rejections. That stings!

Last edited:

Sydewinder

Banned
Reaction score
Does this mean they've changed their earlier policy about not replying to rejections?

I submitted the query+synopsis+3 chapters, then I got a request for a full, then I got rejected. Both times. :(

So, I think they're non-responders if the initial submission doesn't entice them, but they seem to respond if they ask for the full. At least that was my experience. Actually, I got an editorial explanation (almost a page long) as to why the mss. was rejected. Still sucks, but the feedback was great.

You also can't re-submit same mss. unless invited to do so. I re-worked my first mss. to address some of the concerns in their rejection letter and asked if they'd like to see the revision. They declined, but invited me to submit anything new.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Just wanted to give my two cents on Lobster Press:

I have 'book one' of a series coming out with them towards the end of the year. Final edits were completed last week. I have nothing but the highest praise for them. They're professional, knowledgeable, and dedicated.

Their books are distributed and sold in stores in Canada and in the USA. If they negotiate for "world rights" in your contract, they actively try to sell them. I think that they presently only accept submissions from Canadians, but if you write books for kids, PB to upper YA, you might want to add them to your submission list.

herenow

Registered
Reaction score
SWHIBS and Triceretops:
When they said Canadian authors, I am Canadian but living in the usa for a long time.
Do they want Canadians - living in Canada? I wonder if this is due to payment legal issues.
Also do you have a person's name at the company? I would love to address my submission to a name! :)
Any other tips you can give ;) I have a picture book, I am the author and illustrator.

Last edited:

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
SWHIBS and Triceretops:
When they said Canadian authors, I am Canadian but living in the usa for a long time.
Do they want Canadians - living in Canada? I wonder if this is due to payment legal issues.
Also do you have a person's name at the company? I would love to address my submission to a name! :)
Any other tips you can give ;) I have a picture book, I am the author and illustrator.

I think it doesn't matter where you live as long as you're Canadian. I believe I read that somewhere. I'll come back if I can track it down again.

EDIT: Couldn't find it, but I bet it doesn't matter where you live as long as you're Canadian. I believe the issue isn't related to author-payment. It's related to the fact that they, like lots of Canadian publishers, get funding from the federal government that is designed to promote "cultural industries." Being Canadian qualifies the things you create as being lumped in that distinction.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

herenow

Registered
Reaction score
:) thanks for your fast reply! Do you have a name I could address my query to?

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Hmmm, good question. My editor is Mahak Jain. She's also the Managing Editor at Lobster Press. But I know when I initially submitted, my full manuscript was requested by "editorial assistant" and then it was passed up the chain until it got to Ms. Jain. I think there is probably a central submissions hub, so addressing your letter "Dear Editorial Department" would probably be fine. That's what I did.

Good Luck!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Certainly doesn't sound good.