Terrorism -London- Woolwich

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
they are racist thugs on par with the NF in their heyday. white, mostly male and vicious in numbets. They do not represent me. I don't want their protection.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The quote from the murderer is ""We swear by Almighty Allah we will never stop fighting you. The only reasons we have done this is because Muslims are dying every day. This British soldier is an eye for an eye a tooth for tooth. We apologize that women had to see this today but in our lands our women have to see the same. You people will never be safe. Remove your government. They don't care about you."

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like if you gave the EDL white hoods they'd look a lot like an organization we 'Muricans are familiar with.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, I think so. They are more urban working class than rural, I think, but yeah, not that different.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
My deepest sympathies go to the victim and his family.

By all means report these events but don't give these lunatic killers airtime to spread their warped messages to others. I don't want to see their faces.
This.

Forlorn-ember

Returning Writer
Registered
Reaction score
My deepest sympathies go to the victim and his family.

By all means report these events but don't give these lunatic killers airtime to spread their warped messages to others. I don't want to see their faces.

completely agree. I can't believe he was standing there talking, covered in blood and with a knife on camera. What were they thinking?

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
What were they thinking?
That an unarmed non-Muslim was at their disposal to murder as they pleased for whatever reason they deemed fitting.

Possibly the whiteness of his skin was a factor, possibly not.
Whether it was or not, they have no doubt swelled the ranks of the EDL and the BNP.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Most of our British friends will (hopefully) be sleeping by now, but I can't help but comment on the courage of those women, facing off armed murderers as they did. I am in awe.

Me, too. And sending love to our Brits.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I meant showing the footage on the BBC news like that, but yeah, that too.

I get the 'don't give them publicity,' argument, in both that it's giving them what they desire and it may inspire others who similarly want publicity for their nutty cause.

However, I just can't get on board with the media deciding to not show what is arguably newsworthy for that reason. There's a public right to know that I think supercedes pretty much all.

dfwtinman

Cubic Zirconia in the rough
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Cub Scout leader-mother was just amazing. For the life of me I can't see how she stood her ground. If I see an amped-up guy, covered in blood, holding a knife and a hatchet over a dead body, I am not likely to be chatting him up.

:Hail:

Expat-hack

Too much lost generation as a kid!
Registered
Reaction score
I just got back from London on Sunday. So sad and insane. Hugs to all my Brit friends and to the whole glorious country. And those women! Wow. Brave and noble. I can't even imagine...

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
In before 'Muslims need to do more to condemn these extremists':

Muslims in Oxfordshire condemn Woolwich attacks
Kingston Muslim Association condemns Woolwich machete attack
Muslims condemn attack on Soldier in Woolwich (from the Muslim Council of Britain)
Bromsgrove Muslim group condemns 'barbaric' Woolwich attack
List of Muslim groups condemning Woolwich murder (from Asian Image)
Cambridgeshire Muslim group condemn 'brutal attack' on British soldier

Though why ordinary Muslims are being looked towards to condemn attacks they had no part in never fails to baffle me. I don't see Christians being expected to apologise for the Westboro Baptist Church.

In the meantime, there have been attacks on mosques, and the EDL are using this as a means to spread their hatred:

Elsewhere, two men were arrested after separate attacks on mosques. A 43-year-old man is in custody on suspicion of attempted arson after reportedly walking into a mosque with a knife in Braintree, Essex.....Meanwhile, police in Kent were called to reports of criminal damage at a mosque in Canterbury Street, Gillingham, at 8.40pm. A spokesman said a man was in custody on suspicion of racially aggravated criminal damage.

The EDL claim to respect our troops, but I can't think of anything more disrespectful than hijacking a man's death to further your vile cause and spread hatred and propaganda.

I'm so tired of my country. I'm so tired of the ignorance and hatred that turns a tragedy into yet another reason to hate immigrants and Muslims (never mind that these men had London accents - they're black, therefore they are Not British) I'm tired of this self-perpetuating cycle that pushes Muslims further into the fringes of society by furthering an 'us and them' attitude that should remain the narrative of only the extremists. The EDL are creating extremists. I hope they're aware of that, but I doubt it.

I'm tired of this world.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
In happier (or at least more amusing) news, thickos on Twitter are confusing the EDL with EDF Energy and are asking them why they're causing shit in Woolwich.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
In happier (or at least more amusing) news, thickos on Twitter are confusing the EDL with EDF Energy and are asking them why they're causing shit in Woolwich.

Hah. Wait until someone confuses them with the JDL. 'We're really not so into white supremacy, actually.'

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score

I wish people would engage their brains occasionally.

Anyway, I'd like to sum up today's political commentary:

"Bloody immigrants! Send them home! Even if they were born here because logic isn't one of my talents and nobody who isn't white could possibly be British anyway."
"Muslams r al like evill n we dont wannt em hear they h8 us and r way of liffe n r fredom alot ov em dont eeven speek english."
"Bring back the death penalty!"
"I'm not racist, but..."

How depressing.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I wish people would engage their brains occasionally.

Anyway, I'd like to sum up today's political commentary:

"Bloody immigrants! Send them home! Even if they were born here because logic isn't one of my talents and nobody who isn't white could possibly be British anyway."
"Muslams r al like evill n we dont wannt em hear they h8 us and r way of liffe n r fredom alot ov em dont eeven speek english."
"Bring back the death penalty!"
"I'm not racist, but..."

How depressing.

You just summed up most of my Facebook feed.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad the 'brave woman' is okay, but I don't think what she did was wise or advisable. Had it gone wrong people would be questioning why she decided to talk to a psycho holding a bloody butchers knife in the first place. I'm sort of distressed just thinking about it.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad the 'brave woman' is okay, but I don't think what she did was wise or advisable. Had it gone wrong people would be questioning why she decided to talk to a psycho holding a bloody butchers knife in the first place. I'm sort of distressed just thinking about it.

Yeah I don't really get lauding her. I don't see the point of engaging when they weren't threatening others. Just back away, people.

The thing that's been most baffling to me about the entire affair is part of the video of the guy ranting.

The whole crowd behind him up the street is massed as he rants to the person holding the phone. From the crowd comes a woman in blue, with carrier bags. She just seems to stroll toward the attacker and the camera holder, and then go past them, totally nonchalantly.

I cannot figure it out. The segment I've seen (over and over) only shows that. I don't know if she was going toward the body, going to do something, or if, as it sort of appears, she didn't quite get what was going on and was just not willing to stand around with the crowd. I may be projecting but more than once I've come upon a film shoot in the street, with a crowd gathered watching as a shot was set up what have you, and just walked through. It just seems like she didn't notice what had happened or what the guy was holding/what was all over him, or saw it and thought it was something else (not that I'd blame her, it's surreal and contextually wrong to be walking the high street midday and come upon that with just people standing around watching). It's just kind of fascinating to me, the casual way she walks into and out of the frame.