#PrayForVenezuela

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
CNN has been expelled for 'war propaganda'.

Three US Embassy Officials were given forty-eight hours to leave the country as the Obama administration was accused of siding with student protesters on Feb. 18.

#PrayforVenezuela is one of the few ways that the citizenry is able to get images of political unrest out to the rest of the world.

"Last week hundreds of thousands of Venezuelans clogged streets and spilled into plazas nationwide as residents coordinated massive protests against President Nicolás Maduro's government, an administration they say is to blame for detrimental food shortages, increased insecurity and free speech infringement."

A blog post accusing the international media of being asleep at the switch, links to videos of violence against unarmed citizens, and also reports that San Cristobal has been taken off the net.

Why aren't we spouting righteous indignation and making threatening noises at the Maduro Administration?

Be safe, maxmordon.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Why aren't we spouting righteous indignation and making threatening noises at the Maduro Administration?
Yeah. I think they've got the largest oil reserves in the world according to Chavez, don't they? That's always been rationale enough to send our children off to war. Why the delay?
Be safe, maxmordon.
Ditto.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score

Be safe, maxmordon.

An excellent question that I'm not seeing any rational answer to. :(

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
If I hadn't been listening to talk radio today, I wouldn't know about it either. How the hell can we be ignoring this, after all the outrage over the Ukraine crisis?

Here's a link to a November thread about the expropriations by the Venezuelan government, and the sad state of the economy at that time. I'm only surprised that it took this long to happen.

Last edited:

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
If I hadn't been listening to talk radio today, I wouldn't know about it either. How the hell can we be ignoring this, after all the outrage over the Ukraine crisis?
In the end, there's only so many crises a person can get invested in. When a third of the world seems to be tearing itself apart at any given time, it's hard to pay attention every major event. So, sadly, some just get overshadowed.

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
In the end, there's only so many crises a person can get invested in. When a third of the world seems to be tearing itself apart at any given time, it's hard to pay attention every major event. So, sadly, some just get overshadowed.

Or is it something even more shameful? If we don't have press on the ground, sending out pictures, we can ignore it? If that's the case, then every quasi-dictatorship in the world will make that their first priority.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score

Right. Here are the protests and violence we could get ourselves invested in:

Thailand riots
Burmese pogroms
Ukrainian revolution (second act of the Orange Revolution.) - Significant Ukrainian and Ukrainian descendant-populations in Canada and US.
Syrian Civil War - part of the Arab Spring
Iraq Instability
Egyptian Revolution consequences - part of the Arab Spring
Turkish riots
Brazillian protests consequences
Mexican cartel wars
Central African Republic pogroms
Nigerian pogroms

And so on and so forth. You have to factor in just how much change is going on. Venezuela will unfortunately remain much the same, despite kicking out the reporters. These are student protests demanding answers and Maduro's small toolbag can't give them any but the student protesters donèt have any answers themselves. The old regime, prior to Chavez' sweep to power, perhaps hopes to use this as an opportunity for a coup but they are unfortunately not favourable enough for foreign backers to help them. Oh well.

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
Yet, we do have many Venezuelan immigrants here. Seems we do owe them at least the attention.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Sorry for not adding much here, guys. It's just it has been such a nerve-wrecking overwhelming situation and so many have been said on the decline of Venezuela that, well, it just feel redundant now.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Sorry for not adding much here, guys. It's just it has been such a nerve-wrecking overwhelming situation and so many have been said on the decline of Venezuela that, well, it just feel redundant now.

Max, we all want to know that you're OK, but for me, you worry about you, not me. I don't believe that you have anything to apologize for.