General anime discussion thread

Dysnomia

Drowning in the depthless sea
Registered
Reaction score
I'm watching Future Diary right now and I'm loving it.

I love Future Diary too! It's the anime that really got me into watching anime. Yuno's too entertaining to watch. Love her!

kaylim

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished watching Future Diary and I thought it was amazing. I like how it ended. Anime sometimes has really shitty endings so I'm very happy with how it turned out.

kaylim

Registered
Reaction score
Had to look up Stockholm Syndrome but it does sound about right. I mean every time he tried to stop dealing with her, she would either threaten to kill people or protect him while pointing out that he would be dead otherwise.. But I dunno. I think I'd have to watch the series again to really get it.

Dysnomia

Drowning in the depthless sea
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished watching Future Diary and I thought it was amazing. I like how it ended. Anime sometimes has really shitty endings so I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Did you watch the OVA? Apparently that's the "true" ending... I prefer how things ended in the last episode, and in my mind that's the real ending of the story, but oh well. It was nice seeing the characters again in the OVA.

Noizchild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noizchild.neocities.org
Had to look up Stockholm Syndrome but it does sound about right. I mean every time he tried to stop dealing with her, she would either threaten to kill people or protect him while pointing out that he would be dead otherwise.. But I dunno. I think I'd have to watch the series again to really get it.

That sounds like an abusive relationship to me.

CJMockingbird

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't grow up with CN, so I missed the Sailor Moon wave. Watched the first two seasons subbed but I couldn't get into it much.

Trudging along on my Digimon Adventure podcast (and my Tri Vol 1 just came in the mail), but I've been meaning to watch more anime. I guess it's hard to find time as I get older.

Fullon_v4.0

Shard Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rtdriver90.tumblr.com
So I noticed this anime on Netflix called Blame. I'm a sucker for SF but I really don't want to sit through a two or three episodes to find that
it's a cliche' 25 minutes of lameness...anyone watch it? Thoughts?

anakhouri79

Registered
Reaction score
I've read the manga and quite enjoyed it. I am not sure how closely the movie will adhere to the story(which is very slow and surreal)- it's on my watch list too- but I noticed that the animation style is significantly different from the manga style (Tsutomu Nihei drew Blame! in a very distinctive, 'fisheye' style). I assume the movie was made to capitalize on the success of his other work, Knights of Sidonia.

Noizchild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noizchild.neocities.org
I've read the manga and quite enjoyed it. I am not sure how closely the movie will adhere to the story(which is very slow and surreal)- it's on my watch list too- but I noticed that the animation style is significantly different from the manga style (Tsutomu Nihei drew Blame! in a very distinctive, 'fisheye' style). I assume the movie was made to capitalize on the success of his other work, Knights of Sidonia.

Do you think Netflix is the future for anime?

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
Do you think Netflix is the future for anime?

anime is the original reason i signed up for netflix. i joined in 2004...mostly because i was tired of going to Blockbuster then and only seeing Naruto, Bleach and DBZ on the shelves. i signed up for NF and discovered Lain, Elfen Lied, Puni Puni Poemy, Witchhunter Robin, Chobits, and all sorts of other anime.

kaylim

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a huge anime fan. Still, I'm subscribed to Netflix, Crunchyroll, and Hulu and it is not enough. I sometimes get torrents of anime because there is simply no other way to find certain ones without spending a lot of money. For example, I'm watching right now Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam, an anime from the 1980s, which you can't find on any of those sites. I don't think you can find anywhere honestly.

anakhouri79

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think you can find anywhere honestly.

We own the entire series on DVD, my husband bought it at a con some years ago. It may no longer be in print though. Great series, one of my favorite Gundams.

kaylim

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to watch the entire Universal Century gundams in chronological order. not as easy as it sounds.

kaylim

Registered
Reaction score
I've only seen Wing, IBO, 00, and Unicorn.

I found Saban Moon.

I started Wing but couldn't get into it for some reason.

Right now I'm watching My Hero Academia, which I think is really good despite going in reluctantly. I'm almost done with Zeta Gundam as well.

ReignaFTW

Registered
Reaction score
The CGI was so unobtrusive that I didn't twig to the fact they were using it until nearly the end of the prologue episode, and even then it was something subtle about a character's head movement that I noticed. Other than that (and the alien cube, which I suspect is the main reason why they didn't want to go 2D) they've done a pretty good imitation of traditional animation.

^That's about the same time in the episode I noticed it too. It's really well done.

Finished AOT, but at this point in the story getting caught up with the most recent manga chapter is far more gratifying.

Wrapped up Akame Ga Kill (Esdeath love!). I know the manga just ended, so interested in checking that out to see where it goes beyond the show.

Noizchild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noizchild.neocities.org
^That's about the same time in the episode I noticed it too. It's really well done.

Finished AOT, but at this point in the story getting caught up with the most recent manga chapter is far more gratifying.

Wrapped up Akame Ga Kill (Esdeath love!). I know the manga just ended, so interested in checking that out to see where it goes beyond the show.

Akame Ga Kill= Why you should why for the manga to catch up.

Attack on Titan= Third season is coming