Requerying same agent with same work

Julz

Queen of My Own Universe
Registered
Reaction score
I turned out to be one of those writers who finished my work and then got so excited about being finished that I sent out a query right away. But I only sent one to start with because that agent is known to give a lot of personal feedback and usually responds within 2 days.

The equery was horrible - too short, not enough info, doesn't flow well, I forgot to put in my contact info. The agent's submission requirements stated that he wanted the first 5 pages in the body of the email... so of course, I pasted in the first 5 single-spaced pages and left them that way instead of double spacing between paragraphs.

Anyways, everything I could do wrong in the query, I did (except for spelling his name correctly.)

The day after I sent it I realized all of my mistakes. The day after that the agent sent me a form rejection saying my novel didn't fit his list. He NEVER sends form rejections which tells me how truly horrid the query was.

It's been a month now and I've spent that month re-polishing my novel and came up with a great query letter, decided on a better name for the novel and even changed the beginning to better fit the story.

Now my question is: Can I requery the same agent or is that bridge burned now?

Reaction score
Hmm. I'm leaning towards querying others first, but then perhaps re-contacting said agent after some time has passed (to make it look like you've really worked on polishing your manuscript and query) and explaining, when you do so, that you've made substantial changes.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I would suggest that you forget about this agent, at least for now. If you are really confident that your new query letter is terrific, it would be best for you to concentrate on submissions to other agents.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
My two cents: Query other agents. One month is too soon to requery with essentially the same ms. Send the query to a select group of about five agents. See what the response is. If you get request(s) for partials, your query is okay. If you get no response or form rejections, then revisit your query and submit to the next five agents on your list.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
I would suggest that you forget about this agent, at least for now. If you are really confident that your new query letter is terrific, it would be best for you to concentrate on submissions to other agents.

Exactly.

Danthia

I've heard agents say wait six months, then try again if you really want to. If you sent five pages, the agent may or may not have read them. If he did, then the rejection could have come from the pages, not the query, so resubmitting won't matter much. But if you rewrote the begining, it could get a different reaction. Depends on how much you changed it and what the agent might have disliked. No way to tell sadly, and it might not have even been read.

But like everyone else says, query other agents :) There are plenty of good ones out there.

Julz

Queen of My Own Universe
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I'll skip the agent and try the others on my list. 5 agents at a time sounds good to me.