Question about who pays for image reproduction fees?

greendaze5

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m new here. I hope this topic isn’t redundant (and that I am posting in the right forum) but I’d like to ask about image reproduction fees. Does anyone know if that’s the responsibility of the author or of the publisher? I’m interested in doing a history book and I need images from museums. From some queries I’ve made so far fees can be hefty.

There’s also the issue of whether one needs to pay in the first place. The link below mentions a legal case (Bridgeman vs. Corel) in which the ruling was that
copyright over old images cannot be claimed by museums, institutions, etc. (even though they still try to). Does anyone have any more info on this?

http://englishhistory.net/tudor/art.html

Much thanks!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would suggest using [insert image of xxxx here] in the manuscript and discussing it with the eventual publisher.

The museum is normally asserting copyright over their photograph of the archive item--that is their ownership right to restrict access to the item means they can make you pay for their reproduction of it.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Larger publishers generally pay all reproduction fees as part of the cost of doing business. A small publisher might have a harder time doing that, and ask the author to bear some of the costs (generally by agreeing to a lower advance or royalty) or to substitute images that are available for lower or no cost.

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
Or there is fair usage.

Just ask IceCreamEmpress about her avatar.

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
I meant for a print of something that is not available to the public, yet is old enough that no copyright is enforceable.

Not the Mona Lisa, but DaVinci's notebook sketches or some such.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
I'm amazed that the museums you've queried are charging hefty fees. All I paid for was copying charges. I guess it depends how the museum is funded. Mine was funded by residential taxes paid to the city.