Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
The problem is if I call her Djinn, no one will know what the hell I'm talking about. But calling her a Genie makes people think of Aladdin. I really can't win either way. But, between them I'll take the name recognition.

More than likely Leigh, anyone who reads fantasy of any sort will know what a Djinn is. Even if they don't, think of all the cool creatures out there that are just made up...C1ty 0f B0n3s has a ton of them. So I think you'll be fine.

:)

Shuemais

We can't always be the Batman
Registered
Reaction score
Gotta say that Leigh wins a billion brownie points for the Futurama quote. That show is full of win, I tell you, WIN!! :D

I'm intrigued by the idea, but ... don't genies live in bottles?

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I could see the bar being named The Bottle or The Bottom of the Bottle or some foreign language version -- that would be cool. Djinn or genie, that's to decide later. It's a good idea, either way.

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Gotta say that Leigh wins a billion brownie points for the Futurama quote. That show is full of win, I tell you, WIN!! :D
My boyfriend and I got together over Futurama! It's so full of WIN!!!
Shuemais said:
I'm intrigued by the idea, but ... don't genies live in bottles?
Not always. Genies live in bottles or lamps (the mason jars of their day) but they can also be attached to objects. I'm going to have to play around with this to get it just right. Genies are big in the Qur'an and so I do not want to offend any Muslims by getting important details wrong.

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
More than likely Leigh, anyone who reads fantasy of any sort will know what a Djinn is. Even if they don't, think of all the cool creatures out there that are just made up...C1ty 0f B0n3s has a ton of them. So I think you'll be fine.

:)
The problem I see if that if I tell people the main character is a Djinn, I will either have to follow it up with "*sigh* a genie" or they'll say "that sounds like a genie."

It might be easier to just call her a genie and be done with it.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Eh, I wouldn't assume the audience will be clueless. I doubt too many that would read the genre would see Djinn as completely unknown. And it's been used on TV before.

Shuemais

Registered
Reaction score
Saw a news item the other day that a family in Saudi Arabia are blaming a djinn for kidnapping their daughter -- the belief in djinni is still very much a reality for some people.

That being said -- genie, djinn, call her a magical stripper if you want. Just write the story you want to write and see where it takes you. :D

Last edited:

Shuemais

Registered
Reaction score
Three hours between email and rejection. New record.

:e2thud:

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Three hours between email and rejection. New record.

:e2thud:

At least they didn't keep you waiting for months. I'd rather have a rejection in three hours than three months later after my hopes had a chance to build. Still, hugs. xxxx

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
(((Shuemais))) Not personal -- that's just how some agents do it. It does make me wonder if they are seriously considering or just clearing the nbox, but if you're going to get a two-line form, might as well be quick.

*waves at Princess of Persia*

rosiecotton

Lover of Tea
Registered
Reaction score
Leigh, maybe you could connect the freed genie with the bottles in the brother's bar--like he used to live in a bottle of JD (which would be hilarious), or maybe from a bottle of something mysterious, like Absinthe or Maggotini--and that's how she stumbled across him. That would connect Rosie, the genie, and a bottle to the one location.

:gone:

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
My record is 34 minutes, Lightning Bi11. For some agents quick responses (usually Rs) are a point of pride, I think.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
{Shu}}

Fast or slow, makes no difference to me (unless it's a slow R on a full - gah!) I typically assume it's an R as soon as I hit send

*waves to Rosie and Princess* Don't tell me you guys fell down here, too? ACK the road to the pit, unfortunately, doesn't lead back out

Yeah, lightning B1ll is quick with the R's. I can see being quick being a source of pride but, really, how hard is it to glance at a query someone slaved over for weeks/months, give it all of 10 seconds of your time and say no? I can just see 'a day in the life of' of these quick respondres *click* no *click* no *click* no no no 'oops, said no to queries I hadn't even read yet! *actually reads those queries 'no'...

Yeah yeah, I now they get 50000 queries a day and that IS brutal, still it's hard to be on the receiving end and wondering if your query was actually ever really considered

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Sigh. Working on a very dull project today that is driving me to refresh my inbox every five minutes. And now I do it with dread and not hope.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Princess. I'm sorry you're here, if you know what I mean.

When I queried my first ms, I had high hopes for each one I saw in my in-box. This time around, I'm with you Kellion. I'm filled with dread.

It was supposed to be raining today, which always inspires me. Go away sun.

*digs deeper into the Pit where the light of day is never seen*

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
I'm here preemptively. I start querying in a couple days. I feel like I'm in purgatory already though.

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Saw a news item the other day that a family in Saudi Arabia are blaming a djinn for kidnapping their daughter -- the belief in djinni is still very much a reality for some people.

That being said -- genie, djinn, call her a magical stripper if you want. Just write the story you want to write and see where it takes you. :D

Like I said, lots research needs to be done so I don't trample on people's beliefs. I would have to have some feel I disrespected their religion getting some major thing wrong. Of course, the fact that she is a tough woman might piss off people anyway....... :tongue

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Leigh, maybe you could connect the freed genie with the bottles in the brother's bar--like he used to live in a bottle of JD (which would be hilarious), or maybe from a bottle of something mysterious, like Absinthe or Maggotini--and that's how she stumbled across him. That would connect Rosie, the genie, and a bottle to the one location.

:gone:
Hey, you! Stop giving away plot points!!!!

:D

I was considering either a liquor bottle, or a charm she keeps on her.

I read a story about a genie that was connected to a ring on the king's right hand!

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Princess. I'm sorry you're here, if you know what I mean.

When I queried my first ms, I had high hopes for each one I saw in my in-box. This time around, I'm with you Kellion. I'm filled with dread.

It was supposed to be raining today, which always inspires me. Go away sun.

*digs deeper into the Pit where the light of day is never seen*

When I queried my first project, I was like "OMG an agent looked at my query and, oh, look! they wrote back this HAS to be an accep--oh."

I was a stupid 20 year old :tongue

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
This is my first project that I'm querying, but I know from applying to med school that it's safer to just assume the worst.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
The querying process is more of a crapshoot than med school applications. When you apply to a school, at least you know your grades and standardized test scores. You know if you have a shot.

With a novel, you don't know. Every agent has his or her own criteria for judging a query and manuscript, and you don't know what they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.